Houdini Lakers.

limeyangler

Hi all,

Went across our lake and over the Hwy 17 to a really nice local trout lake. I missed the opportunity to hit it up the day before because one thing led to another and stuff got in the way of my plans. On the up side it gave me the chance to get everything ready properly for the next day. So the scene was set to rid myself of the New Year skunkiness.

I set off as the sun was coming up over the Dinorwic section of the Wabigoon chain of lakes and arrived at my destination 11 minutes after leaving the house, nice ride since we have had very little snow making the lake snow drift ( think speed bump) free.

After finding my first hole drilled was in 70'+ FOW I moved around a bit until I found 56'FOW….ahhhh…my honey hole! That was the first indication that things might not go all my way that morning….next time I am checking depths I will wear my reading glasses, as when I set the shack up and put them on the fish finder actually read 38'FOW…..DOH!

Oh well, It was -27C and I was not about to leave the warmth of my Otter before I had warmed up, secretly knowing that would likely result in me staying put no matter what. After an hour of staring at a blank fish finder screen and trying to work out how to use email on my new cell phone(xmas present) I was beginning to lose interest. Then an arch, a BIG arch, came flying off bottom to check my jig, only to disappear as fast.

Instantly my focus changed. Not long after that…..fish on….and off! Then another….and another….and another, all of them managing their escape in the nick of time. I had to laugh….great fun but frustrating.

The fish were interested in the baits I was 'dead sticking' but like I have found out to hold true for Lakers is they love the chase! Quick snaps and frantic reeling getting all the hookups. Just a small 1/8th ounce brown jig with a medium minnow….i have found that any other colour jig spooks them on this lake, but they will also hit lipless cranks of any colour very aggressively.

As I write this at 6am this morning I am contemplating heading back….we will see….but it is just as cold as the other morning and I'm not relishing the thought of frozen nostril hair that much as I sit comfortably in front of my iMac with a hot cup of strong Earl Grey tea. I am getting old.

That's some great action...try a jig and white twister tail sometime.

that is my buddies favourite….I have tried them on this lake….with limited success, maybe worth revisiting though :)

An actual fishing reports, thanks Mate.

Well actually it is the Syrian refugees' fault I could not catch a trout that morning.

Good morning Simon,

Thanks for sharing your video. Bravo for getting out on such a cold morning.

Lol….thanks Tom, it was chilly for sure!

HAHA! The agony of defeat. Cool vid, you'll get 'em eventually.

LOL…yah…law of averages comes into play here I think.

Hi all,

Went across our lake and over the Hwy 17 to a really nice local trout lake. I missed the opportunity to hit it up the day before because one thing led to another and stuff got in the way of my plans. On the up side it gave me the chance to get everything ready properly for the next day. So the scene was set to rid myself of the New Year skunkiness.

I set off as the sun was coming up over the Dinorwic section of the Wabigoon chain of lakes and arrived at my destination 11 minutes after leaving the house, nice ride since we have had very little snow making the lake snow drift ( think speed bump) free.

After finding my first hole drilled was in 70'+ FOW I moved around a bit until I found 56'FOW….ahhhh…my honey hole! That was the first indication that things might not go all my way that morning….next time I am checking depths I will wear my reading glasses, as when I set the shack up and put them on the fish finder actually read 38'FOW…..DOH!

Oh well, It was -27C and I was not about to leave the warmth of my Otter before I had warmed up, secretly knowing that would likely result in me staying put no matter what. After an hour of staring at a blank fish finder screen and trying to work out how to use email on my new cell phone(xmas present) I was beginning to lose interest. Then an arch, a BIG arch, came flying off bottom to check my jig, only to disappear as fast.

Instantly my focus changed. Not long after that…..fish on….and off! Then another….and another….and another, all of them managing their escape in the nick of time. I had to laugh….great fun but frustrating.

The fish were interested in the baits I was 'dead sticking' but like I have found out to hold true for Lakers is they love the chase! Quick snaps and frantic reeling getting all the hookups. Just a small 1/8th ounce brown jig with a medium minnow….i have found that any other colour jig spooks them on this lake, but they will also hit lipless cranks of any colour very aggressively.

As I write this at 6am this morning I am contemplating heading back….we will see….but it is just as cold as the other morning and I'm not relishing the thought of frozen nostril hair that much as I sit comfortably in front of my iMac with a hot cup of strong Earl Grey tea. I am getting old.

Awesome video Simon, had a real good laugh with you as we have all had those days

FYI my wife was ice fishing outside with me yesterday at -41 wc without a hut :whistling: BUT I am sure she would rather have been in the hut with you :tease: lol, she might have been able to catch u your dinner :tease:

Cheers mate

Blizz

And thx to Drifter for overhauling our computer so I can use the quote button again

-41C hutless. It's a dry cold though!!!! -41, no wonder you are looking for a pop up. What would that be if you had a breeze? Oulu Finland in December cold, I will never go back there in this lifetime, I don't know how you frozen nuts do it.

I don't know how you reply to the wrong thread :)

-41C hutless. It's a dry cold though!!!! -41, no wonder you are looking for a pop up. What would that be if you had a breeze? Oulu Finland in December cold, I will never go back there in this lifetime, I don't know how you frozen nuts do it.

That is with the wind chill. It was only -30 without. :whistling:

Where are those white fish reports damit. Fish flopping around every where.

Lakers chase and tease you til no end. They will make you go jigstiringcrazy. :w00t:

Funny you mention that…might be one in the making :whistling:

Thanks for sharing that Simon . Love the laker reports !

My pleasure, gonna head back there soon, this time they won't escape me!

The heartbreak of being left standing at the door without a goodbye kiss. Great vid Simon,. Your laughter and frustration all at one time.... :good:

It was so fun, could not help laugh…. was nice to hook into them, plenty of action too.

Lol, seems like my typical day ice fishing. I think my language would have been more colourful though.

LOL…when I am with my buddy Carmon I find the edit bleeps to be plentiful. I have to admit that I swear like a trooper, I have just been doing these videos for a while and automatically tone down my language without even thinking about it.

I sincerely hope that one day Limey & Sopaddler team up on a family vacation & share video/audio duties. It would be the most EPIC video of all time. That was fun Simon!

Solo….did you hear that????Lets go, some great canoe routes between here and Fort Frances:)

That video was heartbreaking to watch. We've all been there. But not like that. NEVER LIKE THAT!

Glad to see you got some action, but man is that rough.

LOL…it was an EPIC FAIL for sure.

Do you have a hook on that jig Simon? :)

Half the fun is watching the sonar. Great video!

LOL…was beginning to wonder Chris. Have done that method on that lake many, many times before and landed them all some days, just my luck that day, and yeah….I love watching them chase…a real thrill….way too addictive.

Awesome video Simon, had a real good laugh with you as we have all had those days

FYI my wife was ice fishing outside with me yesterday at -41 wc without a hut :whistling: BUT I am sure she would rather have been in the hut with you :tease: lol, she might have been able to catch u your dinner :tease:

Cheers mate

Blizz

And thx to Drifter for overhauling our computer so I can use the quote button again

John….you are crazy!