ATV sled for ice fishing

icefisherman

Trying to get ready for the ice season I went and bought the Pelican 75 complete package (sled, towing hitch, cover) from Costco...what a BEAST that thing is...got it home...tried different ways with my ATV on the back of the truck (F150 SuperCrew cab with 6.5' bed)...no way to fit it, no how...not in the cab...not to the side or under the atv....will likely return it. Unless someone wants to trade me for one that fits in my truck bed....

Maybe someone can recommend different slimmer sled that can still be towed by ATV with solid towing hitch?

Wondering if the smaller Pelican 60 series will fit either under or on the side of the bike?

If so where can I get a good deal on one?

The deal on the 75 at Costco was fantastic but not much good to me if I cannot transport it to the lake....

Anyhow...looking for ideas and comments....

ATV fits nicely and I am able to close the tail gate. No one could believe it....loading the biggest Grizzly in the bed and closing the gate on it!! Want to keep it that way. So No I don't want to open it and somehow carry the sled on the tail gate....and I don't want to buy a trailer...with two boats and an ATV in my garage no room for another trailer...so got to get creative somehow.,...

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

When I'm using the atv, I try to keep everything on the racks. A Jet sled junior goes across my back rack, and everything goes inside it. The auger and my pop up hut goes on the front rack. If there isn't much snow, I'll sometimes pull a fishtrap guide, and this just fits beside my bike in the back of the truck if I push the bike over and use a couple ratchet straps. I haven't found a sled that fit under my bike yet, beside yes but not under. At least not one designed for hauling a lot of gear.

Edited by porkpie

is there not room to turn the sled sideways and wedge it between atv and the bed rail? it'll stick up on the tailgate and need to strap it down but it works just fine....I used to have that same pelican sled I think you're talking about...it measures about 5 or 6" longer than the box right? or I'd strap it to one of the quad racks even, it would only stick out a foot or so on each side

Can't fit on the side...sled is too high/deep...not enough room on the side even if I lift and move by hand the atv to the left or right....as I said this sled is MONSTER....never seen anything so big....

Should have said I need to carry Clam cube hut, power auger, Big Buddy heater, propane bottles, tackle, bucket to seat/fill up with whities, chairs, etc.....both my kids when they come with me (one in front of me on my seat, the other behind me on a 2 UP seat - separate post about that is coming ;-). So my rear rack will be taken by the 2 UP seat....and front one will not be enough to carry everything...hence need a sled...hmmmm...

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

How about a cargo rack that slides into the trailer hitch or have something fabricated like it to stand the sled upright.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/46609/cabelas-trailgear-2-folding-cargo-carrier

Well the sled length is longer than the cargo rack so it'll stick on both sides....also it'll probably require removal each time so I can load/offload the bike....pain in the but big time.

Maybe downsizing to Pelican 60 is the only somewhat doable option....

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

Well the sled length is longer than the cargo rack so it'll stick on both sides....also it'll probably require removal each time so I can load/offload the bike....pain in the but big time.

Maybe downsizing to Pelican 60 is the only somewhat doable option....

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

I use a cargo rack and it works great. I stand up my Clam shell on it so it doesn't stick out. And the cargo rack does not interfere with loading my ATV using ramps as they bridge over the top of the cargo rack.

I use a cargo rack and it works great. I stand up my Clam shell on it so it doesn't stick out. And the cargo rack does not interfere with loading my ATV using ramps as they bridge over the top of the cargo rack.

The cargo rack is 60"L x 20"W x 6"H.

Sled is 74.5” X 30.5” X 14.75

Your Clam must be significantly smaller in size...as you see the sled will stick by about 7" on each side and then by 10" at the back...it'll also be so high it'll likely interfere with loading the atv...it is just sooooo big...

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

The cargo rack is 60"L x 20"W x 6"H.

Sled is 74.5” X 30.5” X 14.75

Your Clam must be significantly smaller in size...as you see the sled will stick by about 7" on each side and then by 10" at the back...it'll also be so high it'll likely interfere with loading the atv...it is just sooooo big...

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Yes, it's smaller in height but you can still STAND it up your sled on the cargo rack.

You load the ATV into your truck bed first, close the tailgate and STAND up the sled onto the cargo rack and tie it down with secure strapping. Then of course unload the sled first, fold down the tailgate and drive off the ATV via the ramps.

Can you make a raised deck for the atv and put the sled under the floor?

Looked into that...it'll need to be very high...then the atv will be uncomfortably high and not as stable, kind of defeating hte purpose of having fit it inside the bed.

Yes, it's smaller in height but you can still STAND it up your sled on the cargo rack.

You load the ATV into your truck bed first, close the tailgate and STAND up the sled onto the cargo rack and tie it down with secure strapping. Then of course unload the sled first, fold down the tailgate and drive off the ATV via the ramps.

I understand now....interesting...got to look into that option...it'll be tricky securing it though considering how huge surface area it is ...it'll act like parachute and had to be secured super well not to fly away on the Hwy.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

You're in a bit of a pickle Emil but maybe you can ditch the sled idea altogether. I have a reese hitch on my quad and if I'm travelling light I just put my cargo rack on the back of the bike and forget the sled. You can carry all kinds of gear even with the 2-up seat on it. If I still want to tow the sled or the tow-behind clam, I made a little hitch on the back of the cargo rack and tow it behind too. You do need to make sure your exhaust is not blowing on your stuff though or things get melted....don't ask how I know. The cargo rack comes off easy when you load the atv in the truck and takes up hardly any space at all.

IMG_1947_zpsyxydy4db.jpg

Edited by G.mech

We use the hitch mounted cargo carrier for our sled. We invested in a adjustable receiver extension to move the carrier closer to the ground so it wouldn't interfere with the tailgate even when loaded.

You seem to have already convinced yourself of the next course of action. I also don't see what the problem is strapping it to the side or top of the ATV if you don't want the carrier.

Cheers,

mark

Looked into that...it'll need to be very high...then the atv will be uncomfortably high and not as stable, kind of defeating hte purpose of having fit it inside the bed.

I understand now....interesting...got to look into that option...it'll be tricky securing it though considering how huge surface area it is ...it'll act like parachute and had to be secured super well not to fly away on the Hwy.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Actually it travels very well....just use racket straps to secure to the truck. I always put a blanket over my tailgate to prevent any scratches on my truck. Wish I had pics to show you but I'm sure you know get the idea.

The cargo carrier is well below the tailgate once the sled is off it so it doesn't even come close to being in the way while loading the ATV into the back of the truck via ramps.

These hitch mounted cargo carriers are a gods send IMHO. I have move a LOT of extra stuff with them, mostly for my sons when they went to college, move out of college and move into a new house then again when they move to another house. They must think dad's a small moving company by now....LOL

The second one that folds up looks just like mine but mine does not fold up. I really like the aluminum for lightness and non-corrosive reasons.

Edited by Mister G