ATV fender repair

icefisherman

After so many years walking so many kilometers for ice fishing I finally had enough and bought myself an early Christmas present - 2010 Yamaha Grizzly 700.

There is a small crack in the front right fender around one of the mounting points for the front rack.

Read about ways to repair it but opinions I seen are all over...fiberglass...epoxy...plastic weld...big washer...you name it....

So I'd like to tap into the forum's collective knowledge. I am sure some of you guys had to deal with similar problem.

Would appreciate your advise and comments on best way to fix it.

20151203_163917_resized_1_zpses5ln8jq.jp

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Thats a tough spot but quickly thinking without seeing it.

Take it off, or at least the rack so you can work.

Drill a hole at each end of the crack to keep it from spreading. We use zip ties to sew stuff like that back together.

Drill holes and put plastic zip ties in and pull tight.

Could be a bit of an issue at the mount points but there have the lock on the zip on the underside and set the rack mount on top of the tie and bolet it down tight.

Thats the best I got without seeing it.

Maybe a bit of thin metal underneath to support it at the break with some small bolts

Edited by Dara

I know where that spot is. Remove the front rack, clean up the underside and crack. Put a golf tee or wood dowel in where the hole goes. Mix up enough JB to fill the cracked area. Then get the biggest stainless fender washer, (Home Depot) about 1 1/2 inch diameter. You will have to get a longer bolt, it's metric.

Thanks guys...not big fan of the cable ties solution...it'll look crappy...

How about this idea....remove the rack...clean underside of fender...sand it lightly...apply couple layers of much wider fiberglass cloth/raisin ...sandwich big washer in between the layers...let it dry....drill the hole through the fiberglass and mount it back all together...maybe drill small hole as you suggested to prevent cracking further...

Will fiberglass be better to use in this case than JB weld? Considering vibrations...cold...etc.?

By the way no issue for fiberglass to cure in this cold temps?

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

How about this idea....remove the rack...clean underside of fender...sand it lightly...apply couple layers of much wider fiberglass cloth/raisin ...sandwich big washer in between the layers...let it dry....drill the hole through the fiberglass and mount it back all together...maybe drill small hole as you suggested to prevent cracking further...

Will fiberglass be better to use in this case than JB weld? Considering vibrations...cold...etc.?

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

I would go with the fiberglass. I would still sandwich two thin sheets of metal and rivet. Just how I would do it.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Repaired my fibreglass canoe that way without the metal 15 yrs ago. Been great since and it takes a pounding. Not sure if same would apply with plastic.

If you want a permanent fix, pull the fender off and have it plastic welded at a proper welding shop.

People like these.

http://canada411.yellowpages.ca/search/si/1/plastic+welding/London%2C+ON

I don't think any form of epoxy, fiberglass or whatever goop you put on the crack, will be of the same flexibility or pliability as the fender material and will likely crack again; possibly beside the repair.

Dan.

If you want a permanent fix, pull the fender off and have it plastic welded at a proper welding shop.

People like these.

http://canada411.yellowpages.ca/search/si/1/plastic+welding/London%2C+ON

I don't think any form of epoxy, fiberglass or whatever goop you put on the crack, will be of the same flexibility or pliability as the fender material and will likely crack again; possibly beside the repair.

Dan.

Thanks Dan,

anyone doing the same work close to the GTA? Like West part...Milton, Oakville, Mississauga, Brampton?

Cheers,

Emil

Edited by icefisherman

Here's your answer Emil, read down and they do give some prices. http://www.plasticweldingrepairs.ca/

---Update---

Called the guy Fisherman recommended above (Thanks Bud!) ...real nice chat on the phone...emailed him the picture above....immediately agreed for me to take the quad there and said no issues fixing it.

Went there this afternoon...took about 45 min of work he fixed this problem and two other smaller imperfections...all for $55. Guy knows plastic welding has all the tools and does it for living....

Very happy with his work, he put extra plastic support under the fender and said should I ever have any issue with it to go back and he'll fix it again if needed - no extra charge...you can tell he is very proud and confident in his work.

Would recommend him to anyone...

Thanks to all your advice and comments.

Will be posting separate threads with other questions I have while trying to setup the quad for the ice fishing season (hope it comes ;-)

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman