Firewood season

Rod Caster

If I had to purchase my firewood, I'd seriously look into getting a pellet stove as my main ( or 'secondary') heat source.

Firewood is free at my place, so it's worth the time and effort.

This is my large shed, approx. 15 single cords here. Also have a few bags of splintered cedar.

IMG_0480_zpsl2bun0fo.jpg

This is my small shed near the house, approx. 8 cords here. I found a cool piece of yellow birch and put linseed oil on it to preserve it.

IMG_0472_zpseixoxfvl.jpg

The other 7 are in piles in the bush waiting to be moved.

It's getting cold out there!!

IMG_0484_zpsa8ehjkrn.jpg

Edited by Rod Caster

Its a dry -45 there everyday

Yeah, my dad grew up in Saskatchewan and he told me the same stuff, that you don't feel it as much cause it's dry. I told him -45 is stupid cold no matter how wet or dry it is :lol:

Just curious Dave but have you any idea how may bags you'd go through in a typical 24 hours with that pellet stove in the new cabin.

My buddies mom in the Fairbanks area has one of these stoves.

She's older and keeps her place really warm (over 80*).

And she uses 1 1/4 bags per day during the cold winters there.

My guess is 1 pallet of pellets will last me over a year. :)

My buddies mom in the Fairbanks area has one of these stoves.

She's older and keeps her place really warm (over 80*).

And she uses 1 1/4 bags per day during the cold winters there.

My guess is 1 pallet of pellets will last me over a year. :)

Thanks Dave, doesn't sound too bad at all.

The Amish saw mills in my area used to have mountains of hardwood sawdust at their facilities. Most had some sort of belted conveyor to take it out of the building, they had piles of it higher than the buildings. They had trouble giving it away! All at once that changed, suddenly they had huge dumpsters at the end of the conveyors that the sawdust went into, pellet makers?

Some did the same with slab wood, it was put in huge dumpsters and was taken away to be ground into mulch. Some of those places seemed to have an acre of ground or more filled with mountains of slabwood.

LOL, the good old days, I used to be able to fill my tandem axle trailer that held a cord and a quarter of wood with short cut slab wood for 20-25 bucks.

A new pellet plant is about to open in Wawa in the building where the OSB plant was.

They plan on loading rail cars sending to a ship and shipping to the UK for power plants

something like a million tons a year...all jack pine and spruce

Its considered 'junk down here because we have an abundance of hardwood. If all you have is spruce, guess what you will be burning?

My guess would be that more Canadians heat with softwood than with hardwood, S. Ont. being an exception.

Most all the wood for sale here is hardwood but I ususlly scrounge some softwood. I thing he ideal ratio is somewhere around 2:1 for hardwood. Softwood is good for milder days and is great for getting the stove and flue heated fast, which is important to reduce soot deposits.

I used to have one made by Norwood industries north of Orillia and it was awesome, I might know a guy that may sell his as he never uses it. Pm me if You are interested and I will find out for You. Mike

Do they work well in rough trails and up hills?

My guess would be that more Canadians heat with softwood than with hardwood, S. Ont. being an exception.

Agreed. Let's start a business importing hardwood to the far north :D