Boat trailer tire uneven wear

alexw

Princess auto would likely have a replacement axle to fit your trailer.

If you do not feel comfortable replacing it yourself, most any garage would likely swap it out for you.

Most likely cheaper then a specialty trailer shop, trying to straiten it. Plus if straitened and not reinforced some how; it'll likely bend again. Pop can effect, after its bent once it'll bend a second time easier.

Dan.

I had Springwater Trailers swap the axle on our ShoreLand'r about a month ago due to a bent axle. They're in Barrie right at the 26 cutoff on Bayfield.

Thanks Dan and Bill. I took the wheels off and visually checked the axle. No sign of it been bent at all. I probably should have measured with a tape. Anyways, repacked the bearings and increased the tire pressure to 45 psi. I will see if the problem persists, if yes, I will take it to a garage and have the axle replaced.

Had the same tires. Carlisle Sport Trail... Wore out all 3 the exact same way within 4 years, rotating each tire through the shoulder-side or outside of the trailer. As eluded to on the tirewall, I ran them at 32psi as well, despite my Pop's saying that's too low a pressure. Anyhow, Princess Auto put Carlisle's on sale and the only difference between these worn out tires and what I replaced them with was the tires width. 1/2 inch less on the new Carlisle tires... and they didn't look as though they were quite as "tough." Running these new Carlisle tires at about 44-45psi, two years later and 4 lead-footed trips Ottawa to Thunder Bay and plenty more time on the road, they're hardly worn looking at all.

Tire pressure I'm convinced is your issue here.

Had the same tires. Carlisle Sport Trail... Wore out all 3 the exact same way within 4 years, rotating each tire through the shoulder-side or outside of the trailer. As eluded to on the tirewall, I ran them at 32psi as well, despite my Pop's saying that's too low a pressure. Anyhow, Princess Auto put Carlisle's on sale and the only difference between these worn out tires and what I replaced them with was the tires width. 1/2 inch less on the new Carlisle tires... and they didn't look as though they were quite as "tough." Running these new Carlisle tires at about 44-45psi, two years later and 4 lead-footed trips Ottawa to Thunder Bay and plenty more time on the road, they're hardly worn looking at all.

Tire pressure I'm convinced is your issue here.

Thanks Moosebunk! That's really good to know that you had the same issue and fixed it by only increasing the tire pressure. I have repacked my bearings and pushed the pressure up to 45 psi now. Hopefully the problem will go away. I should still replace the tire once I find a matching one, or at least get a spare.

I had a similar problem years back with my Trailstar trailer. Tires wearing on the outside edge only - and wearing very quickly. Tire pressure was good, boat trailer is level, camber right on, etc. after a number of calls to BPS, where I bought the boat, they replaced the tires. Finally got Tracker to admit the tires supplied with the trailer were bad. Even the replacements wore the same way. Heck with BPS and Tracker. I went to a local tire dealer and picked up a good set of radial tires. Three years now and no sign of un-even wear. I keep mine filled to the recommendation is on my trailer - and that is 50 PSI Cold. I check them before each trip and periodically when the boat is not being used.

Here's the rating and pressure chart from Carlisle. The OP's tires should be run at 50 psi assuming they are LRC (load rating C) model not the LRD's. You will find the trailer pulls a lot easier too at the correct pressure. In all honesty your tires should dry up, crack and die of old age long before they wear out on these light boat trailers as long as the inflation and alignment is right. They don't brake.steer, or accelerate, they just kind of tag along for the ride and should last a very long time.

http://www.carlisletransportationproducts.com/product/tires/trailers-toy-haulers-towables/sport-trail

I should still replace the tire once I find a matching one, or at least get a spare.

Only my opinion but I'd just go ahead and replace both tires then your starting out with a fresh set. Replace only one now and then in a couple years you'll be replacing the other one and before you know it your playing catch-up.

As for the spare, hopefully your ALWAYS carrying one on your trailer.

Only my opinion but I'd just go ahead and replace both tires then your starting out with a fresh set. Replace only one now and then in a couple years you'll be replacing the other one and before you know it your playing catch-up.

As for the spare, hopefully your ALWAYS carrying one on your trailer.

Thanks Lew, great advice! I have been trailering only twice a year in the previous years. Once beginning of the season and once end of the season. Only started trailering on weekends this year, and you are absolutely right, can't take the risk anymore. Will get both tires replaced and maybe use the good one (still look new) as a spare.

What a lot of knowledgeable guys do, is mount a spare tire and wheel complete with new hub on the side of the trailer. You just never know when a bearing (even properly maintained) is going to let go.

I know it's more expensive, but peace of mind is priceless.

100% agreed. You can never be over-prepared.

I learnt a lesson this past weekend on the lake. At the end of the fishing day, I was ready to head back to the boat ramp, turned the engine key and nothing happened. It turned out the starting battery was completely drained by the fishing finder, and the live well pump which I accidentally left on. I wanted to disconnect the trolling motor battery and use it for starting the engine, however, I don't have a pair of proper pliers on the boat to do it. I used to keep a pair in the boat but took it off due to rusting. Luckily the trolling motor still had a lot of battery left, I trolled to the nearest cottage and borrowed a pair of pliers, swapped the batteries and started the engine.

By the way, I really want to thank the cottage owner for allowing me to borrow his pliers (If you are reading, you know who you are).

Edited by alexw

I have a tool kit in my dry storage in case of emergencies like that.

Just a small socket/screwdriver/wrench/pliers set from CT.

I think I paid $49 on sale years ago. It's in it's own plastic case and sits in my dry storage behind my seat.

There is only very minor surface rust after being in there for 15 years or so. ;)

I also carry a small set of booster cables in the boat so that if the starting battery dies...which it did this summer...it's easy to get a boost off one of the deep cycles.

Also a good idea to check the lug wrench for your truck wheels and see if it fits the lugs on your boat trailer, because they often don't. You don't want to be sitting on the side of the road with a flat tire on your trailer in the middle of no-where with a wrench in your hand that doesn't fit.

Speaking from experience......you also don't want to be at the side of the highway with a flat tire and the vehicle jack won't fit under the axle or frame because it's too close to the ground. Bought an inexpensive scissor jack at the wreckers for $5.00 and keep it in the kit when trailering along with Lew's proper lug wrench.....

On the trailer topic, I was wondering if anyone has experienced what I am experiencing.

When pulling the boat (roughly 4000lbs) at about 110km per hour my truck starts to vibrate/shake. The truck is a 2015 Ford F150 so I want to believe

it's not the truck. So if it's not the truck, I am assuming it something with the trailer. The Trailer is 3 years old and is a dual axle. When not towing the truck does not vibrate/shake at any speed.

Any idea's of what it might be? I have heard square tire, bad bearing, bad tire....but being 3 years old and no visible tire wear or square issues it has

me confused. I checked all the bearing buddies and there was no lack of grease. Tire's say 50 PSI and 50 PSI is what they are at.

One person recommended balancing the tires..has anyone heard of that? I've never heard of balancing trailer tires.

Any feeback/help would be very much appreciated.

Speaking from experience......you also don't want to be at the side of the highway with a flat tire and the vehicle jack won't fit under the axle or frame because it's too close to the ground. Bought an inexpensive scissor jack at the wreckers for $5.00 and keep it in the kit when trailering along with Lew's proper lug wrench.....

Been there, just because it fits when you check the hubs and bearings doesn't mean it will fit if the tire is flat :wallbash:

same solution :thumbsup_anim:

Have you had the trailer tires balanced?

Sounds like an out of balance situation.

I would start there. ;)

I'll bet 90% of trailer tires don't get balanced..properly. Most don't even realize they're lug centric and need the adapter plate to spin properly on the balance machine. Why would ya balance trailer tires anyway, there's no one in the boat going down the highway, so what if things shake a bit. :jerry:

Trailer tires do not get balanced routinely. They are not designed to travel at very high speeds. Guys that go 120kph+ pulling a trailer are insane. Keep it under 110. I see guys on the 400 passing me like I am standing still while I am doing 110 and they are pulling a boat, many with the little dinky tires. A few weeks ago we saw one bonehead pulling his tinny with one tire missing, just the rim, I pulled up to him and told him, his reply, ' thanks' and he kept going. Gotta wonder sometimes what goes through people's heads.