Ah the rapids? (fishing) and some aboriginal teachings?

manitoubass2

Love everything about this thread bud! :)

Miigwich bunk!!!

Im sure you've got experience to add as well!

I know it varies from area to area but is it similar in the skat?

Even miigwich is spelled about 10 different ways lol. 45 minutes from me my spelling would be wrong lol, in big grassy its miigwetch

Miigwich bunk!!!

Im sure you've got experience to add as well!

I know it varies from area to area but is it similar in the skat?

Even miigwich is spelled about 10 different ways lol. 45 minutes from me my spelling would be wrong lol, in big grassy its miigwetch

Meegwetch!

Wa-chay or Wah-chay

Just on the James Bay coast alone are three different dialects of Mushkego Cree. The R, L & N dialects. R is more east where the language changes most. Skat is N, Albany/Moose more L. My name in Cree in Skat is "Andano." Down in the Moose it's "Andalo." Money as an example too, shooneeyan or shooleeyan.

Outside of the four in the healing cirlce (sage, sweetgrass, etc) feathers I find have a significant place in many ceremonies, as do other things from the land itself. One example of something my brother-in-law did for our Uncle Stan's burial, eagle feather in the casket, as well as bringing hockey bag loads of sand and earth from Lake River (north of Attawapiskat) several 100 miles south to Moose Factory so his uncle could be laid to rest first on this soil and sand of his favorite place on earth, before his grave was filled. That sort of ceremonial practice isn't just tradition to some, it's very cultural.

Before 12 months is up since last fall, I'll have been back six times for work. Looking forward to working in Nunavut this fall or winter as well. Plenty people come and go from the north only staying short periods, it's easy to walk away that way. A decade and family later, time is too invested and I can't stay away. These places have their issues, but they are better natural worlds, often without the different issues more urban places have elsewhere. It's cool your path Rick keeps one foot on each side...

Thats awesome bunk!

Money here is shooneyah.

Yeah feathers, especially eagle feathers are very sacred. From traditional burials to smudging to regalia its all very important.

Also other items such as wolf teeth or bear teeth or claws, porcupine quils too!

Its a whole other way of life and I enjoy it very much! Its so much more respectful to nature and people then "most" other areas and im not saying that to disrespect anyone.

So many examples.

Where else would a bear, hit by a train, stop a work day? I noticed the bear, placed the call to an elder. Work was shut down and me and 3 other friends buried the bear with a tobacco offering of course, with almost the whole rez behind us in support. Thats a pretty common thing around here.

Also, you'll never starve or go without on the rez. If you have tough times everyone chips in to help basically. I sprained my ankle badly and had to take two weeks off work, guess who mowed my lawn? The cheif lol.

Its just an awesome way of life.

Ive never been a religous guy, but ive always been spiritual. And when I met my wife our ways of life just combined very harmoniously?

Edited by manitoubass2

hey manitou,

without spreading more information than youd like to, i was wondering what your situation started out like with your wife. I.e. I dont think im entirely clear on your status vs your wife?

Did you grow up on the island/reserve or did you come back to it, or perhaps you are living on the reserve because your wife is full status? or maybe you are both full status and have been there your entire lives?

just curious as i find your "process" very interesting and inspirational. Even more special is from what it sounds like that you have strayed but come back to being at peace with the world. I sometimes really struggle to describe the personal connection that I have with nature and in a lot of ways envy your way of doing things. I think in a lot of ways I totally understand the connection your culture maintains with nature and our surroundings and feel that its unfortunate that a white kid like me can really only maintain that appreciation and understanding individually. Pretty sure id be thrown in the loonie bin if someone saw me laying tobacco lol.

Edited by AKRISONER

Im italian/german/norwegian. Im not aboriginal at all.

My wife is 100% and is from manitou(rainy river first nations)

All my kids are status and go to ojibwe classes rather than french.

But ive always walked my path with nature.

So when we met I was accepted in the community very quickly.

I was raised in fort frances which is a pretty rascist town towards natives. But wven in high school I always got along with all the natives(there is 6 reserves in the area)

I was a skateboarder/hockey player so I got along with everyone. Which was really cool.

Haha they used to call me white nanabush teasing me.

I struggled with PTSD later in life(im not gonna get into that) but that led to alcohol use and benzos to cope( only for about a year but what a crappy year lol)

But ive always been so close with nature that I guess, like bunk, you just fit right in.

And its a really beautiful, respectful way of life. I really dont know how else to explain it???

We dont hardly watch tv(baseball football golf and hockey are the exceptions lol)

Bit a typical night here is eating well, fishing/hunting with the dogs, my wife beads and does leatherwork for tobacco carriers etc. The kids go to bed and I make harnesses while she beads/stitches/sews etc

Lotsa foraging in the bush too. Hanging herbs and making teas.

My wife is elk clan so she cant eat elk or deer/makes her sick. Big nono to eat the animal of your clan.

Here is a lil story that kinda shows the point.

5 years ago our lovely boxer, pheonix, was poisoned to death with anit freeze. It was tragic to us and our kids.

Our kids are fluent in ojibwe and take classes at school so they have a good understanding of nature/along with our teachings of course.

They asked to lay her(not bury her) near oneof our favourite shore fishing spots where she would accompany us( yes same spot I just posted in my thread but up the hill)

We layed tobacco and thanked her for all ahe had given us and wished her a speedy recovery back into nature.

We went for a visit in the winter months and tou could see that rodents etc had fed from her.

Thats when our kids started to understand the "shes gone but shes not gone philosephy", she contributing to other life.

We visited again in spring and all our kids cried. She was surrounded by wild lilies(my wifes favorite flower) and we were also pregnat at the time.

So when our daughter was born, it was a no brainer, she was lily.

Things come full circle.

Just thought id share that with you

Miigwich(thank you)

Rick

This is a little story I shared via pm that kinda shows abit of our beliefs

What I do for work disturbes me however.

I do have a large family to support(including my mom, our dogs and cats)

I really struggle with it(mining)

Ive never layed soo much tobacco in my life.

I hope the earth understands our dilemma, but im a huge hypocrite along with many other band members.

Im not a fan of raping the earth(but I do realize on many levels of societal issues its a necessity. If it isnt me itll be someone else.

I try to justify it by telling myself im educating others along the way and im there to make sure earth is respected.

Our last project I had 200 guys of all races laying tobacco down every morning before shift started lol

There is 12,000 15ft holes in the ground with tobacco at the bottom of each one.

One day i arrived and a redtail hawk was next to our work trailer. It was awful sick, just sitting there with its head buried in its chest.

One guy tries to grab the bird and about 8 white guys gave him crap and said respect that bird, let it be. Its bad on you to damage an already sick piece of nature.

I almost cried lol. They had mostly all become much closer to the earth and nature on that project and that was really cool!

We had 6 guys from kenya working there too and we hit it off right away. Awesome people with massive respect for the earth. Amazing cooks too!

Anyhow look at me ramble???

Thanks guys!

Here is a crazy story(also explains why Im in so tight with local Co's)

About 4 years ago I was bass fishing the rapids with my kids.

Two natives were attempting to spear stugeon. 2 well known drunk guys(yes the rez has its problems like bunk said)

Well they finally get one, good one too about 60lbs, perfect for smoking.

They asked if I wanted it. I said no thanks i dont have a smoker and its illegal for me to possess that fish.

Ah they said then will give it to your wife.

Thanks but no thanks, my wife is in toronto on business and i have no use for a sturgeon.

Ok well see ya later rick. Okay guys take care and off they went in a truck with the sturgeon in the bed

Me and my kids finish fishing and walk home.

That friggen sturgeon is on our front lawn!!!!

Now im freaked cause if I get caught with this im losing my license for sure, not to mention the fines and the "poacher" label.

I call three different sturgeon smokers and nobody want just one, just not worth the time, ughhh.

So I pick up the sturgeon and start the 250 yard walk back to the river. Trust me that was hard.

I get the fish back in the water and start trying to revive it. Now these are tough fish but that fish sat on my lawn mid summer for a good two hours.

So yeah im having trouble reviving it.

Guess who comes? Yep, MNR. Im thinking oh my gawd im never gonna be allowed to fish again

They pull up. Introduce themselves and ask me what the .... im doing?

So I explain and plus I got no rod or anything so they know im not lying.

They get outta the boat to help. Took an hour to revive that fish and it did swim away(i hope it lived)

The COs gave me cards and thanked me a whole bunch for doing the right thing.

Of course I lied and said I didnt know who left it on my lawn(i know i know but I still believe if was a nice gesture gone wrong).

Edited by manitoubass2

Your a special person Rick. One of the main reasons I enjoy these forums so much!!

Miigwich for being YOU!

Miigwich.

Thats is truly appreciated?

My intentions here are just to bring a little bit of teachings and "bridge the gap" between aboriginals and all settlers.

And just keep things interesting of course.

My love for nature includes humans lol, I think its important to educate or just share some perspective so others can understand.

Like my wolves vrs husky thread lol, i got a little blasted on that but hey, thats how we live. I love my dogs just as much as anyone! I would never ever do them unjust harm, they are family.

I know my posts can be a little "alien at times" but its all good. I hope people understand or I can help them understand at least. Life here is different then the cities, and even small towns for that matter.

Its really cool though when I get questions on a thread or via pm and 99 times out of a hundred we have great talks both ways.

OFC really is special too and ive never seen a community online be so awesome!

Many posters dont agree with me but thats cool too! It opens up discussion and hey, we all love nature/fishing/hunting/food etc. Its a real cool bond and I wish people outside this community have the same/similar experience.

Moosebunk is hands down one of the best posters here. And hes basically right on the same level as me(but he catches way better fish lol)

Thats kinda off topic but its just awesome to see people interested in our culture. Really makes me happy?

Edited by manitoubass2

Did you ever think of putting your thoughts on paper for publication?

Your way with words and explaining a tranquil way of life have opened a lot of eyes and minds in the last little while.

My own understanding has been changed regarding the rice situation on Pigeon Lake.

Miigwich as well.

Never ever thought of that.

Maybe I should? Who knows?

Personally id rather see a book from solopaddler lol, or even moosebunk.

So ill take your post as an extreme compliment.

I dont think im good at writing or storytelling myself.

Who knows? Maybe one day

Well this thread has surely morphed nicely. Last time I was here it was only a dozen or so posts. Very cool the turn it has taken. Rick and Drew I hope you keep it going. It's so refreshing to actually hear of the good side of the native culture and lifestyle for a change.

Rick, I too really enjoy your posts. It's great to get a little peek in to your lifestyle from "northern Ontario" as well, native or not. Truth be told, IMO many "big city" folks from southern Ontario don't really have much of a clue about actual rural lifestyles, and just don't understand. Not a fault for the most part, it's just hard to conceive for some people if they've never lived it or maybe had family members that did. Urban living hunters would have more of an idea. Hell, I only live 30 minutes west of Ottawa in bush/farm country and hearing gunshots anytime of the day or night even, any season, is no big deal at all usually. If A Bear wanders by, that's cool, neat to watch. If you really want it to hurry on just make some loud noise for the most part is all you need to do. Or maybe in season get the gun out and fill a tag. Right on!

One more thing Rick. When you say "Many posters don't agree with me", I for one think you're totally wrong. The odd one maybe, always will be, but not even close to many. I'd wager that by far most folks find your character and postings quite refreshing and kind of unique on a "Fishing forum", if you catch my drift. I also appreciate how you say "but that's cool too! It opens up discussion and hey, we all love nature/fishing/hunting/food etc." Kinda laid back, easy going feelin...

Hopefully this threads keeps growing. Cheers guys.

Edited by smitty55

Thats awesome smitty! Miigwich!

Yeah maybe the times are a changin' lol.

I used to get alot of flack around here at times from a certain few. In fact I even left once outta frustration lol, came back and couldnt remember my password and thats why its manitoubass2 now ????

I hope moosebunk chimes in more too!

As far as laid back that pretty much nails it. Whether its on the board or in person thats just my character. It wasnt always that way though.

Again thanks for the kind words and I hope this thread keeps "morphing" too lol.

Here is a funny lil story.

After the oilfields i really needed a break. So I took a job on the rez as a maintenance manager. Job was cool(pay sucked lol). And I basically did like 6 jobs at once. In fact it was so bad, we had a 35 hour work week and i was constantly in trouble for working 80 or 90 hours a week lol( but i was used to that because the oilfield)

Anyhow i was just new to the rez and I was accepted right away like I mentioned.

In my downtime I would plow every driveway on the rez, bring food to elders etc, you know, just be good to people.

Ine day im plowing this elders driveway and she comes out yelling at me(shes pretty well known for being a pain lol)

She shouts"your not plowing my driveway right! You shouldnt even work here white man, taken jobs away from our people!"

I was shocked! First and only time I had been subject to racism on rrfn.

Anyhow, I jokingly said "ok kokum(grandma), grab a shovel!"

I backed out and drove off.

Next day I get called in from the chief and im thinking oh my here we go.

He tells me she complained, asked what happened so I told him.

He says well good, its all settled!

A little shocked I said um ok? Thats it?

Yeah, i just got back from town, i bought her a shovel

????

I'm white as a ghost, but can really relate to the native culture and beliefs.

Last week, each day, before my line hit the water, I'd reflect on how fortunate I am, look at the remote landscape around me, and give tobacco. Some people in this world don't have enough food to eat but I'm lucky enough to be able to take two planes to get to a special place to go fishing. How does that work?

Nice smallies Rick, great post.

Just finishing a two week orientation to the hospital in 2000 and beginning a nightshift. Quite green still to nursing with only a little E.R. experience. No significant training at all to Advanced Cardiac Life Support and Trauma practices. Other nurse attending the ward patients...

Ambulance drops a 21 year old man on the single stretcher in the E.R. He's been clothes-lined by a telephone pole guy wire doing about 80km/hr on his skidoo. Onto our monitor and checking responsiveness... One pupil reacts, the other doesn't. FTW!!? Check again, neither respond. Monitor shows a heartbeat, patient is pulseless. FTW!!? Call "CODE BLUE." (in Skat this means, security starts phoning on-call RN and anyone available at home and willing to come in and help) Four days of the month an MD comes to town, he happens to be in the Doctor's suite and is called in this time as well. Despite 50 minutes of effort we lose the man... likely to hemothorax.. or cardiac tamponade.. maybe combined with some other sort of hypovolemic shock.

When I came out of the ER room the hospital waiting room and reception area was full with people. Probably 100 or more. As many as could fit in the doors. So many crying.

The Catholic Priest soon arrived and a long ceremony took place on the spot. All the words he spoke were in Cree. The people sobbing... even howling some of them. The impact of this incredible. A mourning unlike anything I had ever witnessed, and extremely powerful in that moment...

Couple days later the town laid that young man to rest. It was my first funeral in Skat. The Stores, School, Offices... EVERYTHING shut down during those hours. The entire community stopped to pay respect. The church exploded with people and the community channel broadcast the entire thing. From the church the Pallbearers carried the casket down the road to the grave site, while so many walked along with.

It is always like this. Nearly 10 years later when my wife lost her sister, it was even more cogent... Despite hardships known from isolation, past repression and also, many peoples personal choices and attitudes as well, one thing which I have learned to really quite admire of the northern Cree culture through years spent is, the incredibly deep roots to community and family. My only wish would be that I could see it more often from even more people, and see this more often too from outside of tragedy and loss, and instead in everyday normal life.

Man bunk thats horrible but so true.

3 years back we had a horrible year for community losses. Seemed like every other month a respected member was gone.

All funerals here are traditional, no priest. The funerals can be very very long. And i mean long18-20 hours.

That year we lost two war vets. One was natural deathe the other was hit by a train. I was first responder with the fire crew then and i didnt even need a call, i could hear the screams from my doorstep. He was cut in half and his family was there and lets just say in my shock, i did the best I could to hide the body from his family

I dont know how you do it bunk? Itll haunt me forever listening to the screams and cries as we try to find half a body with body parts scattered

That year my wifes cousing also had a stillborn.

All maintenance was off on vacation so it was my first funeral I had to do and it was so overwhelming. After the funeral it was pouring rain and he didnt want anyone to help but family, so after a whole was dug and we dropped her in, tobacco layed, everyone but me and my brother in laws stayed and it was so wet and muddy we buried that pour girl by hand. Not like shovel in hand i mean literally by hand.

Ugh i have so many stories

Next one wont be so bleak