weird pesticide experience NF

manitoubass2

So my buddie drives puralator currier truck and has to drive up the dryden highway frequently(at night).

He messaged me and said he pulled over at cedar narrows road(limeyangler im sure you know the road).

Its got wicked fishing lakes and is a very popular hunting spot in NW ontraio

Anyhow my buddy pulled over because he seen weird low flying lights and he wanted to take pictures. Next thing ya know hes being rained on with a mist and said it tasted like nickel???

He looked around and found this sign posted near the cedar narrow entrance road

FB_IMG_1441377743944_zps2arz6c5d.jpg

Anyone ever seen a sign like this? What the heck language is it in?

There is no farm land anywhere near this place, its all lakes,swamp and thick bush.

Kinda weird IMO

We where out atving around mattawa 2 weeks ago and we were stopped from using the road while they were spraying. Same signs. We were told that as soon as they stopped spraying we could continue on our way which we did. Were told we didn't have anything to worry about the insecticide they were using which was for bud worms.

vance

That is not too cool, spraying for budworm with Bacillus thuringiensis is pretty safe as it is more of a biological control being a bacteria that attacks caterpillars, herbicides on the other hand are pretty nasty stuff, a little surprised they are still doing stuff like that on a large scale.

I have taken a few courses in Silviculture , Forestry U of T Class of 74, eventually ended up in an unrelated field :dunno: Seems that they now spray fairly recently cut over areas with herbicides to reduce the competition between the faster growing broad leafed plants and deciduous seedlings with the slower, more desirable coniferous spruce and pines. I assume that the broad leaf plants get a significantly higher dose than the thin spruce and pine needles effectively weeding them out and let the spruce and pines survive. Not crazy about the practice but here is a piece of propaganda on the subject.

http://www.sudburyforest.com/herbicideuse.html

Salt and vinegar will kill weeds and we put it on our French Fries. These roundup type herbicides are way safer than the stuff used in the 50's and sixties , remembering Atrazine on corn and using 2-4-D and 2-4-5-T to kill weeds in the vineyards and orchards, you older folk may remember a cocktail of the last 2 as Agent Orange a defoliant used in the Vietnam conflict and responsible for a lot of health issues with servicemen. Our railways and hydro crews used it to keep their easements clear of bush too.

Last year we are perch fishing off of Pt. Bruce. A low flying crop duster goes by and sprays on the lake. One guy's boat got sprayed and his wind shield has residue on it. He's flipping out on the radio, I don't blame him. I contact the MNR, as well as the MOE. Are pesticides in the tank, what were they doing, did you know? I never got a call back. There is a thread started on another Fishing forum. A farmer that "says" he is local chimes in and says they are practicing dusting and there was residual chemical in the tanks, not to worry. The question is why over water not a field that could use water in a field? Why so close to the boats.? No reply. The guy joined that day and he deletes his response and quits the forum.

Government conspiracy I say to keep us fishing guys calm and not vote.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Nobody finds it odd that the MNR head of forestry was not aware of this?

Dont get me wrong, when I call resolute forest products they were very insightful and open. We talked for over an hour, about fishing and foraging, seemed like a great person.

Anyhow, dumpimg mass quantities of glycophasphate on the bush troubles me

And as nice as she was, she referred to the areas as "her plots" numerous times.

She even asked for my name and phone number, said it was policy. I politely declined.

She said well maybe ill see you up there and you can show me some plants to forage.

Ummmmm ok

Nobody finds it odd that the MNR head of forestry was not aware of this?

Dont get me wrong, when I call resolute forest products they were very insightful and open. We talked for over an hour, about fishing and foraging, seemed like a great person.

Anyhow, dumpimg mass quantities of glycophasphate on the bush troubles me

And as nice as she was, she referred to the areas as "her plots" numerous times.

She even asked for my name and phone number, said it was policy. I politely declined.

She said well maybe ill see you up there and you can show me some plants to forage.

Ummmmm ok

The whole thing seems bizarre to me. Hard to believe the MNR allows this stuff.