Trying to keep up with the new technology. NF

misfish

This what keeps me busy.

About ten years ago, I was given the task of taking care of the new plant. It was going to be our welding devision. A newer adventure for this company. ( they had a small unit before ) We recieved a take over job. It was a robotic welder. This was like way out there for me, but after time, I got to know and program it . Then a few years later, we got another. Busy busy busy. Then a few years after that, we got another. This one was the gen2. I already had the first gen down ( simple really once you get to know it), but needed to learn some new operations of the machine. It turned out to make the job/ programing, easier.

I dont know how we keep getting all these jobs (not complaining, it,s job security ) but man, I was starting to get over whelmed being the one man show. That was until 3 months ago, when we finally hired a young fella that is up with the new. I am so happy. I have been asking for this for the last 3 years. Tired of the old school boys that thought they had the answers to all. Yet, what they knew, I already did.

News came of two new projection welders coming in for a huge supplier for Honda. Both here in Aliston and the USA ( Alabama ). Lucky for me, I already had many years of using and working with this type of welder.

They arrived 3 weeks ago and will be ready for full blown production in a week. Lots of work went into these. Will produce 500,000-1,000,000 parts a year. Thats X- 5 different parts.

new%20weld%20cell%20gen3%20010_zps7ohgts

new%20weld%20cell%20gen3%20012_zpspveiu4

new%20weld%20cell%20gen3%20011_zpspx0rk4

I guess the company figured I needed more work to do, so yeasterday, the newest addition of the welding family arrived. I never got to go and see it before it was to arrive as I was off with my eye thing. When it arrived, I was like OMG,

It just squeezed in the over head door. Once in place, I was all over it. It was a thing of beauty. Turning axis table, duel gen 3 robots, two drive systems that will allow for no spatter and better flow control of the welds. I also found out we have some big pipe weld jobs on the go. This is going to be fun to learn and PLAY with. Yes PLAY.I love programing these things. I have to say though, I am looking forward to my course to keep up. For now, it,s going to be the young gun to handle it for now. For the first time since I have had this job, I am happy to hand it over. For now.LOL J/K. Im comfortable being second fiddle now.

new%20weld%20cell%20gen3%20001_zpsaclanm

new%20weld%20cell%20gen3%20002_zps5iwoia

new%20weld%20cell%20gen3%20003_zpsj9dzg9

new%20weld%20cell%20gen3%20005_zpsv28qmn

It will probly be a month or so before its up and running production, but will be taking some video of the dueo dancing.

Im sure this will not be last, as talk of expanding the building is in the air.

What a beautiful nice clean shop you have there Brian. That jargon is beyond me that's for sure. Before I left the plant by the time we did a 100 million dollar reline the systems we procured 2 years before i.e. Gen 1 the Gen 3 was available from Robotic digital automated tools to Intelligent computer technology. Yes it can be a bit overwhelming for the Old Guns.

What a beautiful nice clean shop you have there Brian. That jargon is beyond me that's for sure. Before I left the plant by the time we did a 100 million dollar reline the systems we procured 2 years before i.e. Gen 1 the Gen 3 was available from Robotic digital automated tools to Intelligent computer technology. Yes it can be a bit overwhelming for the Old Guns.

I wont B S ya here Johnny. This new stuff is getting out of my league. Not way out, but it sure gives me the, can I keep up thought ? ( why I am willing to take the upgrade training, never hurts to learn ) I am one now that will say, Im out, your the one now. You dont know how hard that is for me to say. Yes I was the one that wanted the control ( these are my machines ), but after all that has happen to me this year, I know I need to step back and just enjoy, what I can. It took my retiring manager to finally get that through my head. The fella taking over for him (younger then I ) said the same. You can only control what you can during your shift. I do get caught up at times, but told easy,go for a walk. I walk to timmies and get a coffee and come back relaxed. Nice to have one steps away from the front door. LOL

Your lucky Brian your company is taking a step forward.Not happening so much everywhere else.Stay strong,learn what you can,looks like you are a valued employee,no need to worry .They need old guys like us to keep the ship straight !!!!! :P .

Dave, you have been by a few times to see whats up there. You know when I say Im busy, Im busy. Drop by agian soon to have a look. One milk half sugar :whistling::P:D

Great job B. Instead of the toon you can now buy a sub, when it leaks take it in!

I've been in Typograpghy for 45+ years and all of the young guns today know how to push the buttons and nothing else and don't want to learn! Everyone, beside their computer has a cell phone to use/text. Their managers think they are busy lol.

I remember for a line "out" you had to ask!

Dave, you have been by a few times to see whats up there. You know when I say Im busy, Im busy. Drop by agian soon to have a look. One milk half sugar :whistling::P:D

I have too,I know your busy,time as you say some young gun to take some responsibility.Your going no where as I said earlier.In a good way !

Edited by davey buoy

You dont know how hard that is for me to say. Yes I was the one that wanted the control ( these are my machines ),It took my retiring manager to finally get that through my head.

Theres a fella here aswell that told me this. I owe him thanks as well. Thanks Wayne.

The price tags on stuff like that is crazy.

Stick your hand in there Bri when it's running, and go off on Comp for the fall fishing season. :)

The price of the weld cell from what I was told was 300g,s.

The other two were like 60 g,s. Both will get their money back in the first year.

As for the other, NO. Im not one of those guys and I like my fingers where they are thank you very much. :lol:

Nice stuff Brian. I'd love to show off all the high end printing stuff we have at my place of employment...I think lots here would find it interesting. But it's a big no no and I'd lose my job if I ever posted inside shots of our place. Actually surprised you can do the same with all the $$$$$ toys you got there.

Nice stuff Brian. I'd love to show off all the high end printing stuff we have at my place of employment...I think lots here would find it interesting. But it's a big no no and I'd lose my job if I ever posted inside shots of our place. Actually surprised you can do the same with all the $$$$$ toys you got there.

those robot weilders aren't anything you can't see in use on shows like how its made and what not, its not like they're made in house and are propitiatory to the company, unlike some highend printing machines and other things military grade itemss

and Brian, ease yourself out of it, its better than just walking away cold turkey, just start by taking 1 day a week off, then 2 then 3 then just walk away into the sunset

Edited by FloatnFly

Yup same here

It,s just the machines not the product, which is a NO NO here.

I walk through some of the places we supply and they have no problem with me taking pictures of the MACHINES. Vis versa.

Steve, I worked at DRG Globe many many years ago. They had boat anchors that still produced. I ran a mark5. What a pain in the ars.LOL Then they brought in the high tech stuff that made the plastic bags for purolator. That was some cool stuff.