Do you have a boarding ladder on your boat ?

lew

This got me thinking about my pontoon boat. It doesn't have a ladder and there is no way someone could climb up and over the side of a round pontoon and through one of the gates.

The only real option is from the back, using the motor or climbing up the back of a pontoon.

I think I'll be buying a boarding ladder for the front of the boat ASAP. I think they make them that fold up under the front deck between the pontoons ... something that can be pulled down from the water.

From Transport Canada:

When the freeboard exceeds 0.5 m (1’8”) you will need a reboarding device.

Freeboard is the vertical height a person must climb to reboard the boat from the water.

A “reboarding device” (defined in section 1 of the Small Vessel Regulations) means a ladder, lifting harness or other device that does not include any part of the vessel’s propulsion unit and that assists a person to gain access to the vessel from the water.

If your vessel has transom ladders or swim platform ladders it already meets this requirement.

You can use a rope with knots tied in it to meet the regulation or a hanging rope strung between two cleats although they may not be that practical if you actually have to use them. The outboard works but does not meet the requirements. The cops were giving out tickets on L. Ontario last year for this so make sure you have some plan. The measurement location is not defined and remains the usual grey area....

Edited by G.mech

The outboard works but does not meet the requirements. The cops were giving out tickets on L. Ontario last year for this so make sure you have some plan.

Seems like a lot of folks depend on the motor as a means of getting back into their boat but if it's not a legal option their could be plenty of tickets being issued if the police decide to enforce it.

Hey Lew, where did you get that boarding ladder?

It's called a E ladder and my boat came with it already installed from the factory (Skeeter) and I honestly don't know where you could buy them although I'm sure you could find a dealer thru GOOGLE.

It's a pretty slick deal though and very easy to deploy & use.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=e+ladder+for+boats&biw=1069&bih=542&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CDIQsARqFQoTCJXO_YW4isYCFQ0NkgodZHQA8g

Edited by lew

Old 3 series ranger dont have much problem pulling myself up on thenchrome grab bars when out swimming the sand bar.

Also practice getting up on the electric when deployed and using talon and cavitation plate.

Everyone should try boarding there boat from the water to be prepared