Head scratcher

Dave Bailey

Wow, talk about a 'grey area'. I mean, you're not allowed to use walleye as bait, but you didn't intend to. And if the wounds are enough to kill the walleye, or have killed it, then you have to keep it. And you have to consume it because allowing flesh to spoil is an offence, But what if it falls outside a slot size? Decision time: call a Conservation Officer for a ruling, or hide the evidence and don't tell anyone. :unsure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dq_FgTp9HQ

If it's not "keeper" size, dead or alive it has to be released. Is what ticks us off in the winter when we catch slot size 'eyes off bottom in 80 FOW, when fishing for Whitefish. They're DOA at the hole, but have to be shoved back down!

I'm just glad the Muskie didn't make it in the boat... he's having a hard enough time handling that little 'eye!

Edited by irishfield

You guys ever notice the last line in that paragraph? Ive seen it before in the regs where it says invasives like round goby must be immediatly released or destroyed? I thought you were not allowed to return invasives to the water???

Seems aweful wasteful. Im not gonna lie, ive kept fish that i couldnt revive or were deep hooked.

But now i think about it, i can see people abusing that very easily. Catch a fish cut the gills and keep it kinda thing.

In my beliefs you dont waste animals.

Im honest about my catch and if deep hooked or cant revive i will keep the fish, and take pics, and fight it in court.

Just my .02

Edited by manitoubass2

Same rules here in PA and some ice fishermen kill so many juvenile walleye out of 40' and deeper water with their bladders hanging out of their mouth it's sickening. I never understood why a fisherman would continue fishing a depth when he was killing every walleye that came through the hole, but some do. Same with small slow death hooks, I quit using them because I was hooking too many fish deep. A fisherman should always exercise good judgement.

its not a new law has been on the books for many years ...even if the fish is going to die,or bleeding or whatever it has to be released...

Yeah but if the day wver comes that I cant successfully revive an illegal catch, ill be thinking about it long and hard.

I have kept fish but they were all legal so it wasnt a tough decision.

Guys pulling walleye outta 40fow and them all dying thats just stupid, id be tempted to slap someone doing that. I mean sure get your limit but move on.

A friend of mine runs a long line boat off the Florida coast and the same rule applies because it would be a way to keep out of slot fish and sell them for thousands of dollars at the dock. It is tough he said to watch an undersized bleeding tuna released right into the pack of sharks that swarm the boat when they are pulling their line.

Art

A friend of mine runs a long line boat off the Florida coast and the same rule applies because it would be a way to keep out of slot fish and sell them for thousands of dollars at the dock. It is tough he said to watch an undersized bleeding tuna released right into the pack of sharks that swarm the boat when they are pulling their line.

Art

Ughh thats gotta suck.

On the ocean a charter should get some sort of tag for donating fish like you mentioned.

Even an undersized tuna would feed alot of people in need

Manitoubass2 hit it right on. Too many people would abuse the rule and fake an injured illegal fish to keep it. It tough to waste a fish, but tougher to pay a hefty fine.

And the same person will keep an illegal fish that he can't revived and try to fight it in court if caught even though it is agaist the law.

Edited by gaspumper

Yes it sure sucks watching a beautiful lake trout or walleye that's a slot fish sink to the bottom knowing it will not survive !! There is a few things you can do to at least assist the fish seeing as you never the size of them till you get them up to the surface if you think the fish is not a big one try and let him come up a lot alower from the depths more so for the rigger guys or dipsey guys many walleye guys in quinte including the charter boats try not to target deep down fish for that reason unless you are fishing for keepers that's ok but if I am fishing a smaller lake and know that the trout are not huge and that you will catch a lot smaller a ones than big ones I will pinch barbs to lesson the chance of a fish having a treble hook through their eye or all wrapped up it's for sure a hard thing to do release a trout or walleye knowing it's not going to survive but the rules are the rules !!!! Also just the shock of a fish being being brought up quickly from the depth the rapid temp change can shock & kill them I have seen walleyes with their eyes almost explode from that as well I don't usually target them deeper than 30-35 feet and if I do I I play them out a little differently letting their swim bladders adjust a bit on the way up to the surface ... But yes sometimes you get the small trout or walleyes and they are too small to pull the releases out and you don't know they are there and you drag them along without even knowing (shakers) some live some don't

In this day in age of smartphones in every pocket it would be nice to see some common sense applied. Video the catch and show the fish alive and its condition and the release showing that it will not survive and keep it. Any issues with MNR show the video. Prevents waste which I agree is the worst thing we can do as fisherman. There may be small percentage that will do unscrupulous things to get around that provision but all that effort to keep an illegal fish would at least make it tougher.

In this day in age of smartphones in every pocket it would be nice to see some common sense applied. Video the catch and show the fish alive and its condition and the release showing that it will not survive and keep it. Any issues with MNR show the video. Prevents waste which I agree is the worst thing we can do as fisherman. There may be small percentage that will do unscrupulous things to get around that provision but all that effort to keep an illegal fish would at least make it tougher.

Oh, so we take an extra minute or two looking for the smartphone and let the fish expire "just a little bit more" so you can get it on video showing it that it won't live and you get to take it home. Then you become part of the small unscrupulous bunch that uses that provision. There is a rule already in place, respect it and live with it.