A neighbor dropped by to visit

lew

Yeah.

See that brown i put a picture of on the first page?

I thought those were brown bears for the longest time.

Well they are brown, I probably would have thought the same thing, lol!

I've run into a few black bears in my Elliot Lake days when I was a kid. They ran from me so most definitely, they are usually harmless. They just wanted apples from the tree. The townsite would just trap them in big bear traps and relocate them. No need to kill any animal that is not a threat.

Cool pics Lew. Probably is the same bear :)

Akrinsoner, how you describe you buddies experience is graphic. Better than those fake re enactments on TV. How did he survive that attach and did he loose his leg? Brutal. Happy to hear he survived and surprised too.

As mentioned earlier the bear began eating his leg, he then gave it a hard enough time that it moved away for a bit, it then came back and started eating it again and then finally he was able to convince the bear that eating his leg while getting its eyes gouged wasnt worth it.

My understanding is that he was able to call for help and be rescued. He saved his leg, but im pretty sure its still pretty severely damaged.

My cousin made a point to take his boy to see him in the hospital and be aware of just how seriously hurt his "uncle/godfather" really was. He wanted to insure that his son had a respect for the wilderness and what can happen.

My cousin lives off the grid outside of Hinton Alberta. I went out and visited him last year and Grizzlies are no joke, you should see what they can do to a tree when sharpening their claws.

Edited by AKRISONER

Lotsa guys in the grande prairie area that were surveyors quit and looked for jobs elswhere when they lost there right to carry guns

I used to see some huge bears too but I was always on work site or in a work truck

Edited by manitoubass2

Colour is not an accurate way to identify a black bear from a grizzly. Body shape is. A grizzly has a pronounced hump on its shoulder, a build up of powerful muscles for digging. The grizzly has longer and straighter claws better for digging not so good for climbing although a smaller grizzly will climb a tree. The grizzly bearbeargrizzlyKamchatka1998F90xslide-300x19 has a pronounced and longer nose and a dished face (older bear). Neither bears are particularly dangerous. The grizzly is more dangerous if surprised or has cubs and feels threatened. Grizzly attacks although rare are almost always self defense hence the reason many people are not killed during the attack. Black bear attacks are extremely rare. A black bear may attack in self defense, but more often the black bear has a means of escape such as running into the forest or climbing a tree.

I've been super interested in bears since I was younger, having never seen one in person it was always in the back of my mind that I might be mauled while fishing, or walking when up north.
The media really make bears out to be way more intimidating than they should be. Black bears never kill humans out of defense for cubs, or for defense of food, when black bears kill it is normally an older male bear that is killing to eat. With most black bears when they charge it is just a warning sign, saying you're too close. The noisy charging bears normally never attack.

I'm not saying this woman is smart, this video could have gone the other way but it really opens your eyes.

All I got out back today Lew is a big old jackrabbit...I've seen it a couple of times now but it disappears behind my shed before I can grab a camera...one of these days.....