Smoker Craft Restoration..Need advice..

tb4me

So sort of an update...I have been up last weekend and finished most of the gutting process.I didnt get any pictures at all due to the horrible weather..Im going back this weekend so ill be sure to get some more pics..Now's the time im considering what wood to use for the floor...Either im going to use 3/4 inch plywood or 3/4 marine grade ply.. Im looking around for the marine grade ply and the cheapest can get it $150 a sheet. Does anyone know of a place that's reasonable in the Hamilton- Brantford area or in the Peterborough, the Kawartha's areas? I cant imagine paying that kind of money per sheet.. Now I see this new pressure treated plywood Sienna (looks like cedar) wont react to aluminum..Did this suddenly become an option that wasn't avaiable less then a year ago...
Also I feel stupid for not looking when I was there last but are the tires on all boat trailers the same size? I have a chance to score new tires never uses for dirt cheap.. I want to bring the boat home so I can get more done right here in my own back yard.Im going to call my neighbor up there and ask him to get me tire sizes.. Was just wondering if most were the same size anyway..

Tire sizes vary on trailers, almost as much as they do on vehicles. It all depends on what load the trailer was designed to carry and what the manufacturer decided to put on the trailer.

Call your neighbor and confirm the size.

Dan.

Yeah, marine grade ply is spendy, but you get what you pay for.

Regular ply when wet will warp and delaminate. What ever you choose put a couple of coats of sealer on all surfaces to help it last longer.

I'm very lucky with my boat as the entire floor is aluminium and will last for ever. :D

Ok here's something new..I called Monaghan lumber about marine grade plywood. They say that they have a 3/4 inch pine marine grade ply for $70 a sheet.I have never heard of this..Anyone have experience with marine grade pine plywood?

The plywood I got at Home Hardware in Orillia was 3/4 " Marine Grade maple. It was stamped marine grade. I think at the time I payed 110 + for a sheet but that was a few years ago.It was 7ply if i remember right.

Kerry

Edited by Kerry

I bought marine ply at Robert Bury in Mississauga. not all marine ply is the same, some species are more dense and rigid than others. if you are in the Etobicoke area, Kipling and Dundas stop by Noah's Marine Supply, knowledgable staff and a good selection of products.

The big difference between marine grade plywood and exterior is not in the glue but in the integrity of the plys as far as voids and knots, seriously unless you are building an actual hull out of plywood you are wasting money springing for the extra bucks for a floor that you're going to cover with carpet anyway, seal it well though.

• 1 year later...

So I was finally able to get back to work on the Smoker Craft...Yikes having friends that let you use their boat is both good and bad. Good is I haven't missed a beat..She is a smaller boat but I have spent the last 7 months in it on and off. We finally got back to the Smoker Craft though..Saturday was a big day..Finished the gutting, drilling of the rivets and started with sanding scraping and using the Goof Off on the heavy residue..I decided to go with Marine grade 3/4 inch ply..$500 for 4 sheets...Yikes. The sheets are cut and ready for sealing..Do you all think I should use primer or resin, or both? As you can see I got lazy and didn't bother to remove the center console..It is completely rotten on the bottom where that soft floor was so im going to try to rebuild it in place..Height of laziness I know...lol. I was able to get 90% of the carpet residue off with a orbital sander and a scraper. The rest had to be rubbed off. I went with Goof Off over acetone only because that's what I had on hand yesterday...lol Here are some pics..Ill try to do better at keeping this thread alive until i'm finished the boat..
Oh any good places to get marine grade vinyl at a reasonable price? I'm also looking for a good used fish finder as I cant afford to spend a ton on this thing right now..

20160715_204407_zpsxkhmdxsn.jpg
20160716_142102_zpszbtvd0hl.jpg
20160716_165630_zpskeef3mab.jpg
20160716_170320_zpsgzx4ewr0.jpg
20160717_161711_zpsozgyyrok.jpg
20160717_203826_zpspqighszp.jpg
20160717_205126_zpstrotxbsi.jpg
20160717_205129_zpsxucmfwhm.jpg

What are you doing with flotation foam ?

Not a thing I did a test on the foam and all is well..There are foam blocks in the bow, that are hurting a little. They pop right out so i was thinking I may make some new ones with some polystyrene foam from home depot.. Under the plywood floor for the rest of the boat the foam was 100% intact

3/4" plywood seems a bit on the HEAVY side for this project.

There was 1/2 in the boat that I pulled out in tiny pieces. I decided to go with 3/4 inch pine marine grade plywood. Its actually lighter then maple 1/2 inch marine ply.

Check out Lens mill store for Marine Vinyl.. they have it for $19 a yard and I think it's 72 inches wide

crap.. now you tell me..lmao always the way..I literally just picked up my flooring at Proctor marine in Simcoe. $350 for 21 feet. I think I may have got some drool on the new E-TEC 90 HO ....I see a credit application in the near future..That and a transom swap...lol

crap.. now you tell me..lmao always the way..I literally just picked up my flooring at Proctor marine in Simcoe. $350 for 21 feet. I think I may have got some drool on the new E-TEC 90 HO ....I see a credit application in the near future..That and a transom swap...lol

I thought 3/4" seemed heavy and would of went with 5/8" if available........but I would rather have the 3/4" then the cheap 1/2" they put in boats....

I have the a new (2015) E-TEC 90 HO on my boat and everyone I take out is really impressed with the outright power it has. So far it's GREAT.......did use a bit of oil during the break-in period, but now it sips it....

If you decide to get any E-TEC buy it during the winter when Evinrude extends their 3 year warranty to 7 years......it's 5 years if purchased in the fall.....

And the NO MAINTENANCE for 3 full years or 300 hours is a dream come true...

If you get a E-TEC let me know and I'll turn you onto a discount oil place that will save you about $10 per gallon if you buy 6 gallons or more..

Edited by Mister G

So.... any marine electrical guys here? Sigh....I got looking under the dash of the boat to see whats involved with just removing the whole console. Much to my suprise I found this....Wires burnt and stuck together..Dont ask me what happened..When I first got the boat all the gauges worked. One day they just quit. all except for the amp meter. None of the gauges light up anymore either. I'm at a loss here..can anyone help? im willing to pay..This is not what I was looking for when I went up under there...Yikes
IMG_20160718_160026_zpsqqw3ajwr.jpg
IMG_20160718_160008_zpsqgii9ec0.jpg
IMG_20160718_161622_zpsx6zisf5v.jpg

If I wasn't 6,000 kms away I would do it for you.

You cna always road trip up here. ;)

Pretty easy wiring in boats.

When I redid my helm I put in a quick disconnect plug so I can easily remove the whole cluster by just removing the bolts that hold it in.

reverse.jpg

new.jpg

Nice.. 6000 kms eh...lol I wish I was as skilled as that..Good job..I love that compass..That's my last name...lol
There is an automotive electrical place here in town..I think I may take it to them..Im not comfortable taking on that task..