Smoker Craft Restoration..Need advice..

tb4me

No one else piped in about this so I thought I would. I redid the floor in my old Starcraft about 9yrs ago.I used normal 1/2 inch plywood for the flooring and covered it with the duradek vinyl floor and it was great.

However you made a point of stating you were going to seal all the wood including the cuts.When i did mine I used varathane on the two sides of the plywood and left the sides of the wood open so it could breathe.I figured in a marine environment it may be better to allow the wood a chance to dry rather than hold water if the bilge was to flood to any point.Maybe someone else has a better answer for that.Anyway the floor was solid and the vinyl was still in great shape when I sold it so I figured it was OK to do that.

Kerry

Acetone can be used safely but it needs to be well ventilated when used in large amounts. Here is the safety sheet for it

http://mfc.engr.arizona.edu/safety/MSDS%20FOLDER/Acetone.pdf

It is one chemical that I didn't treat with enough respect and thankfully only got a blinding headache for 2 days as a penalty.

Art

So they say.... Gloves just dissolve. I asked my Doctor and good friend about it one time and he knows I use it daily, bare handed, and he told me I had more important things to worry about. A one time deal doing your boat isn't going to hurt you if you at least have "workers" hands. I actually clean my hands with Acetone at the end of most days before going in the house to wash up.

Now MEK.. I won't touch unless I have to. One good splash in your eye and you'll be blind before you can find a tap to wash your eye out.

Edited by irishfield

So they say.... Gloves just dissolve. I asked my Doctor and good friend about it one time and he knows I use it daily, bare handed, and he told me I had more important things to worry about. A one time deal doing your boat isn't going to hurt you if you at least have "workers" hands.

Now MEK.. I won't touch unless I have to. One good splash in your eye and you'll be blind before you can find a tap to wash your eye out.

Thats good to know..Ill give it a try this weekend for sure..What is MEK?

Stuff you don't want to play with.. but it's another cleaning solvent and has many other uses.

Fair enough..lol

Anyway I said earlier I broke apart the trim switch when pulling the wires off the back. Im looking for new one that will fit..Size doesnt seem to be an issue as they all look pretty much the same size..But all I can find are on off on switches. I need a trim switch that returns to neutral when not being used. On or off wont work, Does anyone know what that switch is called? I searched trim switch and rocker switch but cant come up with the right one does anyone know where I can find one..Here is the size and similar type I need but not on off on

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Waterproof-Green-LED-Light-Rocker-Switch-On-Off-Boat-Marine-Electrical-3-Pins-/271418474541?hash=item3f31cd402d&vxp=mtr

Fair enough..lol

Anyway I said earlier I broke apart the trim switch when pulling the wires off the back. Im looking for new one that will fit..Size doesnt seem to be an issue as they all look pretty much the same size..But all I can find are on off on switches. I need a trim switch that returns to neutral when not being used. On or off wont work, Does anyone know what that switch is called? I searched trim switch and rocker switch but cant come up with the right one does anyone know where I can find one..Here is the size and similar type I need but not on off on

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Waterproof-Green-LED-Light-Rocker-Switch-On-Off-Boat-Marine-Electrical-3-Pins-/271418474541?hash=item3f31cd402d&vxp=mtr

The switch you want is a double pole, double throw, center off switch. ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-Amp-Double-Pole-3-Position-On-Off-On-Rocker-Switch/400079076572?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D30542%26meid%3Deb28280fb0334deeac56b789c83f0a3a%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D7620487945&rt=nc

Located in Brighton,work in Belleville. former licensed carpenter. (Changed careers for better pay ) Willing to lend a hand if your within a reasonable distance. I have also rebuilt a boat (my own! Mind you from the ground up)....

Willing to lend a hand, or offer a bit of advice.

G

That one would work; but it's a click on and click off type switch. I think he'd be better off with a momentary switch; meaning you would have to hold the switch on in either the up or down position and shuts off when released.

The catalogs usually list them with these abbreviations "Mom On/Off/Mom On" in their description.

Something like this one; but water resistant.

http://www.grote.com/products/82-2110-momentary-toggle-switches-mom-onoffmom-on/

I would think most any marine parts counter can get you one; if you can't find one online?

Found this one on iBoats

20785_0.gif

http://www.iboats.com/Switch-Contura-MomOn-Off-On-SPDT-Black-Blue-Sea-Systems/dm/cart_id.079765413--session_id.689260029--view_id.1093194

Dan.

Edited by DanD

So they say.... Gloves just dissolve. I asked my Doctor and good friend about it one time and he knows I use it daily, bare handed, and he told me I had more important things to worry about. A one time deal doing your boat isn't going to hurt you if you at least have "workers" hands. I actually clean my hands with Acetone at the end of most days before going in the house to wash up.

Most women use nail polish remover which is basically acetone regularly, so it could have some behavioral effects. Methyl Ethyl Ketone , we used it a lot as a solvent in the coil coating industry, not nice stuff.

That one would work; but it's a click on and click off type switch. I think he'd be better off with a momentary switch; meaning you would have to hold the switch on in either the up or down position and shuts off when released.

The catalogs usually list them with these abbreviations "Mom On/Off/Mom On" in their description.

Something like this one; but water resistant.

http://www.grote.com/products/82-2110-momentary-toggle-switches-mom-onoffmom-on/

I would think most any marine parts counter can get you one; if you can't find one online?

Found this one on iBoats

20785_0.gif

http://www.iboats.com/Switch-Contura-MomOn-Off-On-SPDT-Black-Blue-Sea-Systems/dm/cart_id.079765413--session_id.689260029--view_id.1093194

Dan.

You are correct Dan.

Missed that it wasn't a momentary switch. ;)

Well considering the fight I had this morning with some thick tape residue... you may want to tray a small can of Acetone first before you go out and buy any quantity to try on the glue! You may have to remove it mechanically..

Depending on what glue they used you may be able to get by with just the scraper I suggested.

That is all I used, but I did replace with carpet and any slight imperfections were not noticeable.

I would go with the scraper and if you need to get it smoother try the acetone or other glue removing liquids or a wire wheel on a drill to get it smooth enough for your liking.

Scraper and a heat gun.

Warm the glue up just enough to soften it and then scrape it off. Yes you have to be careful not to overheat the area, you're working on; but it works. I've removed glued on advertisement stickers from cars & trucks this way and haven't burnt any paint YET. LOL I would work on small areas at a time; then move to a completely different area, allowing the first to cool. Too much heat in a large area could warp the metal.

The wife's hair dryer is not hot enough or you'll burn it out. Get a proper heat gun for this and I'll bet you'll find 100's of uses for it even after this project.

Dan.

I wanted to paint the aluminum where its on a side wall type spot and glue vinyl everywhere else..No more carpet..I want to be able to wash this boat after every use.. I also wanted to maybe paint the aluminum everywhere but the floor.. I want clean ans simple..Nothing worse then getting hooks snagged into carpet..My daughter was a master at that..

What is MEK?

Methyl Ethyl Ketone. Common in the airline maintenance industry. It removes stuff that other solvents don't touch. Seen it first hand and that's what the AME told me when he was cleaning some old adhesive off an aircraft panel.

Cheers