leaky rims.n/f

outllaw

I had that problem with my Jimmy. the only solution that worked and temporarily at that, was having the tires re-seated on the rims.

Aluminum expands and contracts much more than steel, with temp changes, at least that's what I was told. It was a pain in the bottom, but mostly happened during the fall, winter and spring, when there were fairly drastic temp changes.

HH

It's the corrosion between the rim and tire. Most tire shops can't be bothered to clean them properly before they seat a new set of tires..... unlike Bernie G here that cleans them as smooth as he can and then paints the seal area and puts the tire in place while the paint's still tacky! Or at least Nick is doing that now in the shop... in his father's foot steps!

Aluminum wheels, I've been battling them for many years, actually 44 years. As Irishfeild mentioned they expand and contract. They need to be cleaned well at the seats when changing tires or when they will leak. I've had rims leak in the middle of summer because of the heat. The crap I've seen on the seats is amazing. A good whack in a pothole or curb can make a rim so out of round it may never seat well again no matter how clean or sealed they are.

The absolute solution to the alloy rim problem is to get steel rims. I will no longer buy a ride with alloy wheels.

Aluminum wheels, I've been battling them for many years, actually 44 years. As Irishfeild mentioned they expand and contract. They need to be cleaned well at the seats when changing tires or when they will leak. I've had rims leak in the middle of summer because of the heat. The crap I've seen on the seats is amazing. A good whack in a pothole or curb can make a rim so out of round it may never seat well again no matter how clean or sealed they are.

The absolute solution to the alloy rim problem is to get steel rims. I will no longer buy a ride with alloy wheels.

Then you won't be buying 99.99% of the cars on the road :)

My old Escape was horrible.

I had them re-sealed two times. They would start leaking again within 3 months of the re-seal.

Had to fill them up once every 3 or 4 weeks.

Nothing would fix the issue. Crappy tires on crappy rims. There's no solution.

Buy a new car.

Edited by N.A.W

Nothing you can do but have them pulled off and the bead seating surface ground until it is nice and clean and then have bead sealer applied all the way around, if the leaks are bad, my tire guy recommends tub/tile silicone on the seat and then mount the tire. Messy but effective.