Rusty Hooks

mattybculp

I was just going through some of my tackle and I've come across a box loaded with high end hooks and terminal tackle that have rust on them. There not coated in rust just spots here and there. My primary concern are the hooks, I some how dropped the ball and didn't recognize that there must have been some moisture/ water left in the Plano tray. It was a wet fall fishing period for me. I did some looking around some say coke, others say vinegar,CLR,stain remover,paint thinner. Has anyone had the same problem and did you find a particular method better than others. Thanks for the help.

You can wipe them down with wd40 it will get rid of surface rust. If they are corroded past that point unless the hooks and such have value VS time you will be mechanically cleaning and resharpening them.

Art

I have also heard to put the hooks in coca cola for an hour - haven't tried it myself though. I would be hesitant to put chemicals like wd-40 on my hooks for the scent factor...

The oil would likely help, not hinder.

And i'm not kidding.

Not to steer from the original post, but I watched a show that totally threw that WD40 myth right in the garbage. People have contacted the company and asked of its properties and if in fact it really did have fish oils in it..... Only to be told a definite NO!

Apple vinegar cider.

Put the hooks in a jag that has a lid; fill jar with the vinegar and let sit overnight; you could give the jar a shake every once in awhile.

Drain out the vinegar and rinse with clean water. Add a couple tablespoons of baking soda and fill the jar with water and let sit for a couple of hours. The baking soda is to neutralize the acids form the vinegar. Rinse again and dry them the best you can; I used a heat gun but a blow/hair dryer will work. After that spray them with some WD.

A lot of the interior trim screws on my 50 Chevy had some surface rust in them. Did the cider vinegar thing and they came out almost a good as new.

Dan.