Michigan Steelhead - Lots Of Pic's

solopaddler

Was able to fish one of my favourite rivers in Michigan last week with 3 friends and had an absolute bonanza! We drove through monsoon rains to get there and it rained off and on all day the first day on the river. This bumped up the water and brought a huge run of fresh in.

Thursday while the numbers were great we all caught a mix of large dark holdover fish as well as a bunch of fresh chromers. Friday was insane. Almost all fresh fish, and some were quite large! We fished from daybreak until 8:30pm that evening and caught fish consistently all day long. I'm not normally into numbers but it was the best day I've ever had walk and wade fishing this particular river. Well over 70 fish landed by my group with 28 put on the bank myself. Many, many more fish were lost in the heavy current. As a steelheader these are the kinds of days you dream of!

Most of the fish were caught on a mix of beads and roe with long leads in the 10 to 12' range, tons of shot and 12 to 15 gram floats to get down in the powerful current. Some were caught casting hardware which is always a blast.

Can't wait to get back!! :)

c4bfecdc-a5ca-4729-aca5-abcb36c3756f.jpg

619dd424-dc61-447d-93ea-380a69b66660.jpg

19ba0e05-ba1e-4c8f-bf4f-809088c23c0a.jpg

b7c59ff6-313c-4041-873f-291473dadfbc.jpg

fe9b2433-4584-434c-88ec-9c0938abbc53.jpg

4812f798-0422-4050-aecf-a1b5a58dd1f8.jpg

ab64eaeb-4af8-4c49-8197-aecda5ad6012.jpg

24fc7f20-c779-4b39-b804-137b20dbd5d3.jpg

e4dfad05-1825-42ec-ac14-ed506c3c9d4d.jpg

3fcc384c-756a-44f8-a974-b3aca01ad42c.jpg

b7fcbb9c-f31e-484c-8666-8cc69a011e47.jpg

f582fd6b-2d9f-4b66-af87-f7b9d7e79b6c.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

Wow! It looks like you guys kicked some butt down there!

A quick question- Why is it ok to have those reels is in the water, often turbid, silty water? I see a lot of pictures like that. I'm guessing the quality is so good that grit and rust isn't a problem?

Wow! It looks like you guys kicked some butt down there!

A quick question- Why is it ok to have those reels is in the water, often turbid, silty water? I see a lot of pictures like that. I'm guessing the quality is so good that grit and rust isn't a problem?

As long as it's not sand it's fine. A quick flush and spin in the water and any silt is cleaned out.

Funny, I flew to Chicago on Friday and I was looking down on the U.S. shores of Huron and Michigan and thinking about the steelhead.

I was waving up at you Rob. :)

SWEEEEET.

That dam looks familiar.. I'm having flashbacks from OOD and the grandfather of noodle rods - Mr. Dick Swan!!

You remember that article Mike?! Musta been like... 20 years ago!!

talk soon, eh!

I do remember that article! I was very fortunate to have the chance to fish with Swan several times over the years, he was the reason I made my first trip there 30 odd years ago.

FWIW I'm headed back next week for two days if you can get away. :)

That water looks fantastic to fish, seems theres LOTS of room to spread out. Heck, even the Dam has a manageable amount of elbow room......whats up with that LOL

Only on weekdays. I was there Thurs to Sat, and Sat was an absolute gong show even lower down.

Looks like a wicked trip, perfect timing

Noticed you're sporting a Filson vest? I have the same vest, ancient and well used, somewhere in my parents basement, reminds me I should dig it up...great little vest

Love the Filson vest! :)

SWEEEEET.

That dam looks familiar.. I'm having flashbacks from OOD and the grandfather of noodle rods - Mr. Dick Swan!!

You remember that article Mike?! Musta been like... 20 years ago!!

talk soon, eh!

more like 35 years ago, by 1985 people were gravitating to centre pins and float rods. Remember the Swann articles , pictures usually showed him using a silver 1810 Shakespeare closed face.

edit: was it OOD or was it Chronzy's mag?

Edited by dave524

I do remember that article! I was very fortunate to have the chance to fish with Swan several times over the years, he was the reason I made my first trip there 30 odd years ago.

I actually met Mr. Swan when I was a teenager at one of the Sportsman's shows.. He had his own booth and some very nice noodle rods on display.. I had never caught a steelhead (I lived in Northern Ontario) but I remember speaking with him and since then, every time I saw a dam that resembled it, I thought back to that one article. Weird how the mind works..

That last pic from your write-up literally jumped out and hit me in the face!!

Nice guy that Mr. Swan.. He actually passed away this year.. May he rest in peace.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/themorningsun/obituary.aspx?pid=174221110

Edited by Highdrifter

more like 35 years ago, by 1985 people were gravitating to centre pins and float rods. Remember the Swann articles , pictures usually showed him using a silver 1810 Shakespeare closed face.

edit: was it OOD or was it Chronzy's mag?

Well the article on the OOD mag was quite a few years ago... not sure of the date but it was about Dick and there was a picture of him standing behind that very same Dam!