Musings and questions. Some fishing some nf.

Hey guys. A bunch of random questions that have been haunting my sleep this weekend. I figured I would ask all of em in one thread and see if I could get some help.

Did the law preventing fishing in Grenadier pond ever pass? I went for a run there and the ice is out but I know they were looking to make it a no fish zone.

Anyone know why certian provincial parks can't be booked for the August long weekend? The girlfriend and I were looking at booking at Aerowana but there were 'restrictions' but it didn't say what they were. I'll call on Tuesday but I figure someone here may know.

Are there any restrictions on bow fishing? I told my sister I know a few good marshes around the Humber but my dad thinks we are going to get arrested. I'm not going to be firing off arrows in a public park but I figure if it's a ways out of public areas we are good.

That's all I can think of now. I'll probably ask more as I remember what they were.

As of right now, Grenadier Pond is still open for fishing: http://www.highparknature.org/wiki/wiki.php?n=Fish.FrontPage

Never heard of Aerowana Provincial Park, can't find any reference on the net.

Bow fishing is only allowed for bowfin, carp, smelt, white sucker, lake whitefish, and lake herring, although they are all lumped under "non-angling methods" along with dip nets, seine nets, and spears. Can't see anyone seriously going after smelt with a bow or a spear. And I imagine that the ministry wouldn't have the last word on where one can use a bow, local authorities might ban their use.

Thanks Dave.

It's odd, it's a few provincial parks that can't be booked on the long weekend. The Pinery and Sauble beach are also 'restricted'. I'll give em a call tomorrow and see what's going on.

Great news about Grenadier. I know for the past 5 years I have heard this group or the other trying to shut it down for good. Seems a shame.

Not sure about the bowfishing restrictions Jer, but I do see guys doing it for carp every year at my cottage on Rice... The one guy brings a huge plastic barrel with him in the boat and hunts until he fills it - he makes dog food out of it apparently!!!

Pete

Not sure about the bowfishing restrictions Jer, but I do see guys doing it for carp every year at my cottage on Rice... The one guy brings a huge plastic barrel with him in the boat and hunts until he fills it - he makes dog food out of it apparently!!!

Pete

That's actually a pretty damn good idea!

G

Thanks guys. I'm thinking of a few marshes in the Humber, and Duffins creek for now fishing. Really, if a person of authority asks me to stop, I will. Just if Mr. Or Ms. Social Justice worker comes by I would like to know my rights before I tell them to take a hike.

Don't know how I would nab whitefish on a bow but man would that be cool.

Edited by jeremy84

I would check the municipal by-laws on firearms discharge before using a bow in the GTA (or anywhere for that matter), I'm pretty sure you'll find this to be a problem. Also check on the definition of 'firearm', some municipalities class a bow as a firearm, some don't.

Please also give some thought to the reaction of 'public opinion'......even if it's legal what about from the perspective of risk and perceived risk, do you really want to put yourself in the position of being 'called out'? Even the practicalities of undertaking this action should be considered. Do you want to walk from the parking lot to the river/marsh or wherever with a bow case and other equipment. Someone is going to call the police thinking you are doing something illegal, police have to respond, have to locate you, watch what you're doing, question you, maybe lay a charge (they might not know if what you are doing is legal or not), newspaper, etc.

When booking some provincial parks there is a time frame in terms of when your booking. Im not sure if its 3 or 4 months but with some you cannot book to far in advance. We usually like to book around july 1st and have to wait until March I believe, before we can book. Are dates available after your desired time ? If they are still restricted then I would tend to believe it has to do with waiting a little more time before you can book your dates, but call and find out when is the earliest you can book, because the people who regularly book days in the park, know when that date is and its crazy how fast they can be booked up especially at a peak time of year. If dates are available (not restricted) then I would guess there's something else to it.

When booking some provincial parks there is a time frame in terms of when your booking. Im not sure if its 3 or 4 months but with some you cannot book to far in advance.

I book at least two Provincial Park spots per year, and as far as I know it's five months for all parks.

I do know many years ago spearing and Bowfishing for Pike was legal. Not anymore, also the regs used to use the term coursefish but it is species specific as I read in the copy that Dave provided.

A crossbow is considered a prohibited weapon in Ontario. I know that because a friend (former) was arrested and charged for bringing a prohibited weapon across the border into Ontario from New York. $500.00 fine and lost his privilege to go to the US for 10 years. I know that because it was my car he tried to sneak it across in. They were going to charge me but by the look on my face and me trying to get across the room to throttle him in Canada Customs they knew I did not have a clue he had it. One officer said he thought it was a toy. Over 700 feet per second ain't no toy the other OPP told him. I got grief every time I went across or came back for years after that. So I would check with someone before walking around TO with a bow and arrow.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Yah.. okay.. They are only prohibited if they can be shot with one hand and / or are less than 50cm in total length. Otherwise they do not need an PAL (or any licence) to buy or operate. (and yes that's kinda crazy because they're more deadly than some guns)

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=734300823321731&l=7963595714344341572

Edited by irishfield

Figured out the provincal park thing today. I always thought it was April 4th that bookings began, I think that may have been federal. Sadly the restricted sites were the only 'first come first serve' sites left. Got a site on Sturgeon Bay in Point Au Barrel. I remember the fishing beging good there.

If I'm within my legal right, people can call cops on me, video tape me, raise a fuss. It's the same thing as when Chris and I were ice fishing and the police imposed their authority. If I still get in trouble and I'm following the letter of the law, why bother having laws at all?

It was a crossbow without a stock, it had a small pistol grip. It did look like a toy but was no toy.

I remember those. They fired a short 8-10" bolt.

Back in the mid 90's there was a shop in Hamilton on Hwy 8 that was selling them. At least until he got busted

Make sure you check, and read carefully, the municipal firearms discharge bylaws for where you intend to bow hunt. Also check, and read carefully, that municipalities definition of a firearm. Your playing with fire in the areas you are considering, because I know for a fact it would be illegal discharge of a firearm in those areas.

As for keeping it on the down low, I say screw 'em all!! If your doing things legal to the letter of the law, let them as you questions and follow you around taking pics and vids. Ive educated a few LEO's the same way. Even had a swat team show up on a totally legal goose hunt once!!

Just read the discharge, and definitions carefully, and carry a copy with you to educate any authorities (or uneducated people).

Have fun, good luck!

S.

Even if it's legal and within your rights, I wouldn't be out with any type of firearm around the GTA. The police have shot people with small knives, cap guns or unarmed people they deemed threatening.

The school behind my house went into lock down last year because of a guy with a camera on a tripod, Hahaha

Edited by chris.brock

Haha I was just talking to my mom about this. My biggest concern would be TTP. The spots I can think of on Duffins creek, I rarely see anyone. Its on the side marshes.

Still a no discharge area. I used to hunt down there back in the day, but its long since shut down.

Come out to the kawartha's with your set up. I'd love to try it. We can take my boat.

S.

I didn't know you had a bow fishing rig.

I've gone a few times with by buddy in cooks bay for carp.

It's a real hoot! And know one gives you a hard time in cooks.. You could likely shoot standing up from your fishing kayak eh??

Just be careful man. I have almost been injured a few times with the bow... The reel/coil jammed, and the arrow came flying back at me... SO I basically almost shot myself in the face (missed me by inches)... I haven't been out since.