Need help from some of the Musky guys on here

quickme

You have to figure there's a reason why every muskie guy says the same thing about line weight and equipment....and it's been mentioned at least 3 times in this thread. Still there's always the guy who comes in and says 'no you don't need that'. I've seen a 38" muskie boatside released with a 7' ultralight, but I wouldn't recommend it.

The 80- 100 lb braid protects your investment in lures. The rods suggested are purpose built for the baits and techniques you'll be using. The reels suggested will stand up to the abuse that throwing 9-12" baits puts on them. The release tools are crucial. Fishing with the proper gear will almost eliminate delayed mortality by not over stressing the fish.

Have fun.

i would use 20 foot long cedar poles as a rod and tow truck cable for my set up.

c'mon really--- 100 lb braid -- we catch anything and everything including muskies

with 30 lb braid and a spinning reel ( yes a spinning reel) -can you believe it

-set your drag properly and play the fish !! --Enjoy the moment !! Trust me you will.

I don' t know if the fish is enjoying the moment too much though. You need to get these fish in and released, you're not making much of a headway with 30lb braid and a spinning setup meant for bass. Can you land a muskie on this? For sure.. Should you be chasing these fish with a setup like this? No. All that heavy gear isn't just about not losing expensive lures...

I've talked to lots of guys over the years who tell me about all the muskies they've caught on light line and spinning reels, but most of them have never caught anything bigger than 30" yet most of them seem to be experts....on everything.

When I was in my early 20s I caught a 42" pike while crappie fishing. Had 4lb mono on a lil 5'6" light action rod.

I felt horrible after landing that fish. Even though it was incidental It bummed me right out.

Thats fish swam away, I hope she made it but I bet she didnt.

Use proper gear when your targetting these gnarly predators.

All these musky guys know exactly what they are talking about

The few that I've caught have been reeled in quickly without any extended stress. I made sure they were all revived and swam away healthy. This was a bucket list fish for my father and I but sadly he was never able to land one in the 37 years I fished with him. I have a soft spots for Musky's as it was the one that always got away from my dad and I. I will echo my appreciation to everyone that has posted on here for all their tips and suggestions. I'm looking forward to lining up my reel with some 80lb braid and hucking some big baits.

This is the first Musky caught and I've been hooked ever since. Thanks again Guys.

IMG_13441_zps455d9edf.jpg

Funny. Same here. Caught one by accident and never looked back. That's all it seems to take sometimes.

You've made up for the late start BIG time though Rich and this'll be your year for the 50

Just double checking the regs and I was wondering... I have a Conservation fishing license, it states that I can not keep a musky ( always Catch and release anyways) does that mean I am not allowed to target them?

Just double checking the regs and I was wondering... I have a Conservation fishing license, it states that I can not keep a musky ( always Catch and release anyways) does that mean I am not allowed to target them?

You're legally allowed to target them. Same idea as fishing for a species in a FMZ with no possession limit. Get them in the boat, unhooked, back in the water.

Edited by BillM

You're legally allowed to target them. Same idea as fishing for a species in a FMZ with no possession limit. Get them in the boat, unhooked, back in the water.

Thank you for the clarification. I was worried I would have to buy another 3 year license.

you can use a spinning rod and reel for muskie...just has to be the right one, lol.

and a 52" muskie from Scugog is HUGE.

I took a guide on Scugog many years back. The guide, who only guided Scugog, and also worked on a Scugog tagging project, advised they had never seen a true 50" muskie on Scugog.

So to catch a 52" one (and many high 40's) means your likely the greatest angler who has ever fished Scugog, lol.

Of course, except on Georgian Bay BillM.

If Bruce Ward (CO) sees you lift a musky out of the water on a Conservation Licence he will charge you with Possession, because he has nothing better to do than ride in the OPP boat and sit in court..... where I'd be if he tried charging anyone on my boat. I've heard his speech about same 3 times in the past 7 years. Although the last time I saw him, he and his OPP driver were locked in the HMS Tom Coffin and couldn't get out the sliding door. It was a quick check and Terry and I still laugh about that one...

Edited by irishfield

No... it's not right Tom... just the anal mind of a local CO. All the other COs around us have told me that they're embarrassed to be in the same boat with him when he starts into his "you have $5000 worth of musky gear on the boat and you're too cheap to buy a sport licence.. what if you catch the next world record" speech and I can tell you from personal experience that he really hates the "then I'd have to let it go" reply. Some you just can't win with!

Edited by irishfield