Favorite fish dish..... What's yours?

Gerritt

As mentioned in a previous post one of my favorites is a family recipe and includes salt cod...I have made it sort of my own, as have those before me.... Most included homemade wine in the dish...

While I dont have my own wine cellar, this dish is on par with the various versions other family members make...

Take your bacalhau or salt cod cut into large pieces and soak for 5 days changing out the water often... Every 6-12 hours.

make sure the cod is completely covered in water... I find a large measure cup is handy for this...

Portion and freeze until ready to use.... Do not soak them to thaw... Keep in the freezer bag and thaw the fish in it.

Next pour olive oil in a pan and add chopped onions...

image_1.jpg

Cook till translucent...

Here is the soaked fish ready for the pan...

image_2.jpg

And the garlic.... Lots of it. And not the cheap Chinese crap. Get Canadian garlic if you can.... US garlic is not bad either...

image_3.jpg

Some green onions too...

image_5.jpg

Getting happy...... Together :)

image_6.jpg

This is a must have in any European mans pantry... Not too spicy, and not too much salt. Perfect for cooking with.

image_7.jpg

Getting even happier!..... Smells so good!

image_8.jpg

And here is the end result... Served with mashed potatoes and corn. With a fresh baguette for the sauce..... Along with a nice Cab. Sauv.

image_9.jpg

image_10.jpg

Always served family style.

Hope you enjoy...

And share yours! Always willing to try new things

G

Edited by Gerritt

I dont have a favorite per say. I love to cook so im always trying new things.

That dish of your looks amazing!!!!

I have everything here but the saltcod, i just might have to make this tomorrow with a different fish

I guess i do have a favorite kinda. Nothing beats shorelunch after a l9ng day on the water.

Food just tasted so good out in the bush lol

IMG_64398621590585_zpsnrmo5xel.jpeg

This is homefries with onion, battered crappie, maple baked beans and an egg

Edited by manitoubass2

Every once in a while I get a craving for Fisherman's Pie:

! lb of cod or haddock (Market cut) cut into big bite size chunks

1 cup of peas

1/2 can of cream of mushroom soup undiluted

salt and pepper

Mashed potatoes as a topping

shredded cheddar cheese on top of potatoes

Bake in a hot 400*F oven for twenty minutes if thawed fish or 1/2 hour if frozen

(Add in some shrimps/scallops if you have on hand)

Everyone should try this once(at least)

Nice cold pike filleted and cut into chunks. Pat dry.

cube potatoes, slice onions, celery and carrots. Add to chicken broth and season how you see fit. I like to add alot of garlic.

cook for about an hour on a low rolling boil. Add pike fillets at the last 4-5 minutes.

and serve!

septbass2012008.jpg

Serve with a blue on your finest china???

septbass2012009.jpg

Ok MB..... Those look good!

Thanks dood!

But im literally salivating at your plate! Im gonna try that with some trout I have.

I wonder how that would be??? Time will tell i spose. Or I can use some pike. Id think a thicker fish would be ideal to hold up to the cooking?

It's a toss up for me. On the one hand there's my Gram's "Fish Head Soup" . A versatile white chowder that works with just about any seafood or fish. It has been a fine end result for thousands of hapless pike over the decades.

It's also hard to top a good old bushman's/farmer's breakfast with all the trimmings. Bacon and sausage, maybe some peameal or ham. Finnish pancakes rolled up with jam. Scrambled eggs, panfried fish and taters and big steaming jugs of coffee.

Fish 'n brewis! With real salt cod made by my old man and hand turned as needed. Cant beat it!

Second to thaat would be cod au gratin, but use fresh perch fillets....YUMMY!!!

S.

I'd like to hear more about this! Pictures?

Brodetto or seafood chowder translated to English. I will substitute Pickerel or Pike instead of the Whiting and Skate.

Saute onion and garlic with hot pepper flakes to taste

add Little Neck clams

add Calamari rings

add Crab legs chopped in thirds

add crushed Plum Tomatoes

simmer for 2 hours

add Pike or Pickeral or both, simmer until fish is flakey

Can be served on Spagettini or traditionally served on Pollenta. Or in a bowl with plenty of crusty bread.

O

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Hey Gerritt, I just saw this post for the first time. Your recipe( and presentation)looks awesome!

Two questions. 1) Why do you salt cod? Wouldn't fresh( or even flrozen )cod be easier? And 2) How much of the hot pimento sauce did you use?

Thanks Pal.

Now to get to some of those other recipies! MMMMMmmmmmmmm

Edited by Mike Pike

Hey Gerritt, I just saw this post for the first time. Your recipe( and presentation)looks awesome!

Two questions. 1) Why do you salt cod? Wouldn't fresh( or even flrozen )cod be easier? And 2) How much of the hot pimento sauce did you use?

Thanks Pal.

Now to get to some of those other recipies! MMMMMmmmmmmmm

Mike, you buy the cod already salted/dried. It has a different texture and flavour then fresh cod and was used as a means to preserve the fish before refrigeration.. a method that has been used for hundreds of years... It was something peasants ate for the most part. But it's delicious!!!!! You can find it at most grocery stores or Portuguese shops if you have one around. I typically buy it already deboned if I can.

It also hold up to boiling really well. This fish itself is firm and flakey but holds together well and has a slight salty taste, but it's different then just throwing table salt on something, that's the only way I can describe it.

I would typically use 1/4 cup of EVO and 1/4 of the paste (more of a sauce really) but you can adjust this to taste.

We would typically boil up rough cut potatoes or have a rice pilaf with this dish... But we had some left over mashed potatoes so I fried them up to use em up.

Give it a try, I think you might be surprised. Be sure to change the water at least once a day twice if possible.. And in the 5th day every 6 or so hours to cut out as much of the salt as possible

Let me know how you made out, I bet you won't be disappointed!

G

Edited by Gerritt

Hey, thanks for that Gerritt. Ya, I've tried the salt cod before as we have a great seafood dept. at our Fortino's grocery stores here in Hamilton and they carry it. So, I'll give it a go! It's funny, but the only people you every see purchasing it are older ethic women. Obviously something they've been cooking with since their childhood.

Last question( I promise ), what is EVO?

Thanks again.