Snowshoes

EC1

Having been a walker since I've started ice fishing 5 or 6 years ago, the last couple have been the absolute worst for walking. Walking a km or two in 2 feet of snow has me stopping for a break practically every 20m.

It got me to researching a bunch of snowshoes, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with snowshoes and how much easier it makes walking. It seems that for walking on fresh powder, you'll need the high end snowshoes that are meant for all-terrain, but those things are pretty pricey.

About what price point are we getting to the law of diminishing returns? Let's discuss :)

My days of strapping on a set of snowshoes and walking a few miles are in my rear-view mirror. But there is absolutely no question that snowshoes make walking in snow deeper than about a foot or so MUCH easier. Once you get snow past the middle of your calf, walking without snowshoes is a killer. So yes, snowshoes are the way to go, or maybe a tracked Argo, which I did own once upon a time! But when you are stuck in an eight-by-eight Argo with super tracks on it, you are some surely STUCK.

The Canadian military snowshoes are made out of some very lightweight metal, are extremely durable, and have a canvas binding that can fit on just about any boot. I have seen them in army surplus stores for not all that much money, and they are an excellent shoe for the value. I have only worn the new high-performance snowshoes twice and was very impressed, but yes those are pricey.

ANY snowshoes are better than NO snowshoes................JMOYMV

Doug

I don't know your location but if you are near a Sail store right now they have 30-40% off all of their showshoes. You can get a descent pair now for $100-120 plus tax. They carry brands like GV (Canadian), MSR (USA), and Tubbs / Atlas / Louis Garneau (all off shore).

I have a pair of Faber Mountain Master in 9X30" and they make it a lot easier. Got one of my kids a set of MSR Shift but I think I will pick up a larger shoe for her to enjoy on the more soft stuff.

Check out the Sail website and have a look at the GV Mountain Trail ($120) or Winter Trail ($105), one of those should do you well. Upsize for better floatation.

Burt :)

I bought a pair of Tubbs not long ago. I really like their bindings. Not cheap but better in the long run than repeatedly buying cheap ones---at least I hope and assume.

http://www.sojournoutdoors.com/tubbs-tundra/

The bindings on my GVs was probably most convenient---a ratchet strap that you just pull on to tighten. That type of strap seems to be quite common. One major drawback though(and a deal killer for me) is that the strap has plastic teeth that wear out. They did so quite quickly on mine.

If the snow is real deep, I still break out my 48" woodd/sinew rackets. You just cant beat them if you want to stay on top of the snow. If theres a foot or less, the new style shoes do have their advantages. I have both.

Like said above by shag, the military shoes are pretty good too. I have a pair of them I use once in a while too.

S.

The ones at the link in my post above are the 200 pound models, the one in Entropy's post above are the 155 pound models. I don't think the 155s are up to the task of floating my butt on top of the snow, but they WOULD work for my young lad. Thanks!

Doug

I have a pair of GVs which are aluminium framed with a vinyl sheet and the plastic ratchet straps and they are great, I have a similar system on my snowboard bindings and they take much more load with no issues. You can get spare "tongues" if you need them but the trick is not to over-tighten them so they slip. My wife has Tubbs which are also good but they're a harder plastic type - Sail has great deals as someone already said, I also saw some in Costco last week, no idea if they're any good though.

I feel as though there are a few companies that should be giving OFC advertising dollars. After reading this thread and the Rapala one I went out to sail today and bought a pair of Tubbs and a crayfish coloured scatter rap. With their sale discounts it was $120 all in. I'm happy with that.

Good decision I'd say. I think you were wise to stay away from those GV ones.