Lower Buck Report

Guest Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

Decided to go fishing with Rob P a very old member of this board that now lives on my street. We were debating between Stony and Lower Buck. I figured we had a better chance for Musky's at Lower Buck and better chance for pickeral at Stony, since I had never caught a pickeral on Lower Buck. We decided to go Lower Buck.

We decided to take a few short cuts. Well it turned a 2 hour trip into 2 and a half hours. :rolleyes: We get there around 7:30 and on the water by 8am. We chatted with the owner of Sunrise for a bit. Apparently the muskies were biting good a few weeks ago ( <_< ) and the fishing has been real slow as of late. We launched.Water temps were at 74 degrees.

We tried all my regular spots with no luck. I guess they were all pounded by the earlier fishermen. I seen some bait activity on the surface in deep water. We troll over to it and sure enough on my first cast, I get a follow. I'd say 36-38 and nice girth. Not interested.

We move to a new spot. I'm casting and picking up weeds after weeds, I see lots of pan fish activity, so I decided to jig weed pockets with a jig and grub. I wanted to hook some crappies. Plus I wanted to remove the skunk from the boat. Nail my first fish and its a Jumbo perch. I nail another and another and I am excited.

Rob is laughing. Then I get something a little more decent. Bring it to the boat and its mr.pickeral!In the live well it goes. Pic was taken well after it was caught and is dead.

Photo002-1.jpg

Yes the shirt came off. It was so humid that by 9am I had my shirt off. And lucky I brought my shorts!!!

Rob is impressed and switches to the same technique, tipped with a leech. He brings in a massive sunfish and starts nailing alot of LM Bass. Though the pickeral were no where to be seen.

Then I nail another pickeral on my secret discontinued spinner baits. I have only 2 left but these are the extra jumbo ones. I had 2 smaller ones(which work even better) and 2 jumbos left. Though one jumbo has the blades modified and is only good for dark water.

This one is about 1-2lbs.

Photo004-1.jpg

We spent quite a few number of hours trying to jig for more pickeral with no luck. We decided to go for Musky.

We went to a spot that Rob says is killer and sure enough, on my very first cast I get a follow. This fish looks really long and Thick. Possibly give or take about 40 inches. Doesn't take it. I try again with no luck.

A few minutes later I get another follow. This one was thick but not as long. Still, no takers.

Rob knew another spot. I was casting and was getting pretty decent follows. I'm thinking small pickeral, so I thriow out the jig and I nail this jumbo. Gonna keep this one and give perch a taste.

Photo003-1.jpg

Then I switch back to the Spinner bait And wham! I got a fish on. Its a little Musky. Wasn't really impressed but its my first musky of the season.

Photo001-1.jpg

Then started fan casting and got a hit. I'm like what the heck??? I reel in and the fish took my skirt clean off the spinner bait. I put on a replacement skirt but it was not as long and thick as the origional skirt.

Now I wanted to switch to the wind blow shore by Rob wanted to stay on his confidence spots. So we casted a little while longer and near a rock pile I nail another pickeral on the spinner bait.

Photo005-2.jpg

Rob kept getting bass after bass and for some reason I kept getting perch and pickeral. I caught tons of jumbo perch.

We went back to the spot where I raised the first fish and sure enough after about 10 casts, he/she shows up. Though he caught me by surprise and I pulled the lure out of the water too fast. Tried figure eighting with no success.

We also did alot of trolling through out the day with not even a nible.

It was about 6pm and Rob had to go to work. He hadn't slept for 3 days and had to go to work right after fishing. Thats one hard core fisherman!!!So we called it a day.

There was a section I wanted to jig for crappies, though we'll get em next year!!

All in all it was a great day!Rob is a very knowledgable fisherman and a real funny dude. Did I mention a great net man?lol I hope we do it again soon.

Guest Johnny Bass

Thanks! I usually wait for the fall to target muskies but this year I have more Musky gear! Its only a matter of time before I start posting some large ones! ;)