cooking thread...

A&W ? I,ll stick with my own mozza mushroom burger. The past year or so,I have gotten away from bread crumb and egg binder. I just go straight ,salt,pepper and some seasoning. I keep the coals in the middle and put the burgers around it. Cover 15 min with the top vent open 1/2 . Bottom pot is always open full . Flip and another 15 min. Put in the middle for 5 min to get a bit of char, flip,mushrooms, cheese and cover for another 5 min. They turn out so nice and juicy. Let the meat tell ya when it,s ready.

344368029_1565668647170024_3337291774869

344843904_560469666219769_23210720949556

344877986_1377955626335274_9068081986434

344912392_3511628569103595_6000424000424

• Like 3

Yes sir bye,s. She all be done just as the Mrs,s get home from work. That's how I roll. Happy wife,,,,,, ah never mind, I eats good. 3 big chunks of apple wood on the coals and get,er done. Still had enough hot coals to get some Italian sausage cooked up as well. Go big I say. So does the wife, but I say, ya got what ya got. Mix up a nice fresh green salad and we'll, get at it.

20230510_104256.jpg

20230510_104931.jpg

20230510_105604.jpg

20230510_142728.jpg

20230510_144028.jpg

20230510_145638.jpg

20230510_152106.jpg

20230510_155238.jpg

20230510_155524.jpg

• Like 3

Thing of beauty, Brian!  Hell, even the salad looks good.  ( I must be hungry...🙄)

Tonight here is cold cooked fiddleheads with shredded cheese and Italian dressing, and pan-fried wild turkey heart and liver.  Usually, I don't get my turkey cleaned until it has sat with the guts in it for a few hours, so I have always discarded the heart and liver.  Today will be my first time eating these from a wild turkey.  And if I am still hungry, my turkey hunting partner gave me a container of wild turkey leg stoup.  Stoup is a cross between stew and soup, and he did the legs from his tom in a slow cooker for 16 hours, I reckon it's TENDER!

Doug

• Like 1

well, as an update...........the cold fiddleheads were delicious, as I knew they would be, having eaten them that way before.  Same as cold cooked asparagus.

But the wild turkey liver and heart were...................disappointing. 😟 I sliced them up and seasoned them, then dusted them with FishCrisp (which is really good on venison liver!) and pan-fried them in vegetable oil.  I have NEVER had anything spatter like that in my life.  Even at a medium heat setting, the pan was throwing hot oil spatters several feet.  😲  and as for the taste, well very disappointing.  Not bad, I ate all of it, but it was not the flavourful treat I had hoped for.  I even used some Canadian Gravy (thanks Heinz) to take it up a notch.

So I do not think I will save these again.

Doug

• Sad 1

Don't give up on turkey liver yet... chop the liver up into chunks and fry they until cooked through. Add the chopped liver to on chopped onion, chopped peppers and mix into two or three scrambled eggs. If you have some sausage laying around, chop that up and add it as well.

Fry it up in some butter.

HH

Edit...one more thought. Chop up the fried liver and add it to chicken or turkey stuffing!

Edited by Headhunter

4 minutes ago, Headhunter said:

Don't give up on turkey liver yet... chop the liver up into chunks and fry they until cooked through. Add the chopped liver to on chopped onion, chopped peppers and mix into two or three scrambled eggs. If you have some sausage laying around, chop that up and add it as well.

Fry it up in some butter.

HH

Edit...one more thought. Chop up the fried liver and add it to chicken or turkey stuffing!

I quite enjoy regular domestic turkey liver, just found the wild turkey liver disappointing.  Yes, if I had dressed it up like that, it would have been very tasty...

Doug

Try soaking the liver and heart in milk (even better buttermilk) for at least an hour or so before  cooking. Then rinse and pat dry before seasoning and cooking. This will draw out the excess blood (which can cause the spattering) and also remove the bitter taste you can get from organ meats.

Personally, although not everyone's cup of tea, I love organ meats. One my favourite things to do with turkey livers is to make a mousse. Served as an app with toasted slices of garlic rubbed baguette ...guaranteed to dissappear in minutes...

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/turkey-liver-mousse-toasts-pickled-shallots

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CrowMan said:

Try soaking the liver and heart in milk (even better buttermilk) for at least an hour or so before  cooking. Then rinse and pat dry before seasoning and cooking. This will draw out the excess blood (which can cause the spattering) and also remove the bitter taste you can get from organ meats.

I slice deer liver very thinly and soak the slices overnight in milk.  It makes a huge difference!

My mistake, or at least one of my mistakes, was assuming that wild turkey liver could be treated like domestic turkey liver (which I never soak in milk).  Anyways, who knows if I will go this way again.  Usually, as I mentioned, my turkey doesn't get cleaned until a number of hours after I shoot it, and I am in no hurry to eat the organs out of a carcass that has sat warm for hours.  I would for sure soak wild turkey liver in milk if I ever plan to cook it again.

Doug

Edited by akaShag

Some baby back smokey bacon ribs that fell right off the bone. Could of made pull rib meat on a bun with these. Charcoal snake ( 1st time ) with apple chunks for smoke. We had a half each tonight,and think I,ll just pull the meat off the other 2 and make sloppy pork on a bun tomorrow with some apple slaw and home fries.

20230516_095135.jpg

20230517_122022.jpg

20230517_140442.jpg

20230517_153524.jpg

20230517_153719.jpg

18 minutes ago, akaShag said:

Just looked this up - thanks for adding to my education!  I think this would be a good idea to do a brisket in a drum BBQ............

Doug

I like that I can do a pull pork or brisket . Start in the afternoon,and by morning,it will be done. I will be trying this theory soon. 

6 minutes ago, misfish said:

I like that I can do a pull pork or brisket . Start in the afternoon,and by morning,it will be done. I will be trying this theory soon. 

I have a Traeger...a Christmas gift from my kids that lets me sleep. I can do an 18 hour smoke without having to get up in the middle of the night...better yet it has wifi, so I can be out on the lake, and know exactly when to come in to do the wrap...

Though I do sometimes miss nursing a big brisket at 3am with a bevvie as company..

21 hours ago, misfish said:

Some baby back smokey bacon ribs that fell right off the bone. Could of made pull rib meat on a bun with these. Charcoal snake ( 1st time ) with apple chunks for smoke. We had a half each tonight,and think I,ll just pull the meat off the other 2 and make sloppy pork on a bun tomorrow with some apple slaw and home fries.

20230516_095135.jpg

20230517_122022.jpg

20230517_140442.jpg

20230517_153524.jpg

20230517_153719.jpg

This looks SOOOO good Brian. 
I wouldn’t mind trying your recipe and directions if you’re willing to share. 😁

1 hour ago, Carp said:

This looks SOOOO good Brian. 
I wouldn’t mind trying your recipe and directions if you’re willing to share. 😁

It,s a simple 2 part brown sugar,1 part sea salt dry rub,leave in fridge for a couple of days flipping each day.  Pat dry,let sit in open air 12 hours and on the grill.When you start to smell the bacon,it,s ready.

BTW, Great to hear from ya ole bye.

2 hours ago, misfish said:

It,s a simple 2 part brown sugar,1 part sea salt dry rub,leave in fridge for a couple of days flipping each day.  Pat dry,let sit in open air 12 hours and on the grill.When you start to smell the bacon,it,s ready.

BTW, Great to hear from ya ole bye.

Awesome !

A little complicated, but I think I can manage. 🤣

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted KABOBS today,so off to look for supplies. NO-FRILLS had family pack chops on sale. I can make them do I say. Debone the chops,season and on the stick with shrooms.

Side salad and sliced baked taters,home made tzatziki sauce and well,burping up garlic now,but dang good eats.

shish1.jpg

shish2.jpg

shish3.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Szechuan chicken following my granny's recipe. But what is Szechuan chicken?

Szechuan chicken is a flavorful and spicy dish that originates from the Sichuan province in China. It is known for its bold and complex flavors, combining the heat of dried red chili peppers with the unique numbing sensation of Sichuan peppercorns. Szechuan cuisine is renowned for its use of spicy ingredients and aromatic spices, and Szechuan chicken is a perfect representation of this culinary tradition.

To prepare Szechuan chicken, you can follow your granny's recipe, which likely includes a combination of ingredients such as chicken, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, Sichuan peppercorns, dried red chili peppers, and various other seasonings. The chicken is typically sliced into bite-sized pieces and stir-fried with these ingredients to create a mouthwatering dish.

Edited by moses.chastain

• 2 weeks later...
So I am going to have shoulder surgery on Thursday and by all accounts will be spending a minimum of six weeks in a sling.  And it's my right shoulder.....

So I have been cooking up stuff from the freezers to have food put ahead, given that my wife does not cook much.  Today's project was a seafood chowder:  bacon, celery, Vidalia onions, Yukon Gold potatoes, 3 largemouth bass, a bunch of winter-time perch fillets, a couple cans of baby clams, a bag of bay scallops and a bag of jumbo shrimp.

It is delicious!

Doug

Seafood chowder 9 Jul 23.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Always looking to try something new I found this recipe in the latest print version of the LCBO's "Food and Drink" magazine.
I made a version of the recipe below using Eye of Round (it was on hand)and let it marinated for some 60 hours.
Lime zest infused Jasmine Rice and grilled Zucchini, pretty good.

https://www.lcbo.com/en/recipe/beef-shishito-skewers/F202304016

kabobs 1.jpg

kabobs 2.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/9/2023 at 1:54 PM, akaShag said:
So I am going to have shoulder surgery on Thursday and by all accounts will be spending a minimum of six weeks in a sling.  And it's my right shoulder.....

So I have been cooking up stuff from the freezers to have food put ahead, given that my wife does not cook much.  Today's project was a seafood chowder:  bacon, celery, Vidalia onions, Yukon Gold potatoes, 3 largemouth bass, a bunch of winter-time perch fillets, a couple cans of baby clams, a bag of bay scallops and a bag of jumbo shrimp.

It is delicious!

Doug

Seafood chowder 9 Jul 23.jpg

It certainly looks good Doug. Yum.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Spiel said:

Always looking to try something new I found this recipe in the latest print version of the LCBO's "Food and Drink" magazine.
I made a version of the recipe below using Eye of Round (it was on hand)and let it marinated for some 60 hours.
Lime zest infused Jasmine Rice and grilled Zucchini, pretty good.

https://www.lcbo.com/en/recipe/beef-shishito-skewers/F202304016

kabobs 1.jpg

kabobs 2.jpg

Very nice...looks yummy. I'm big fan of Shishito peppers...I grow them in my garden.

Is that a typo...60 hours ?? Certainly would've been very tender after soaking in that marinade for 5 days !

I just finished building a small "deer proof " vegetable garden at the cottage. Now that I'm spending more time there, I got tired of fattening up Bambi...

20230719_184816.jpg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, CrowMan said:

Very nice...looks yummy. I'm big fan of Shishito peppers...I grow them in my garden.

Is that a typo...60 hours ?? Certainly would've been very tender after soaking in that marinade for 5 days !

I just finished building a small "deer proof " vegetable garden at the cottage. Now that I'm spending more time there, I got tired of fattening up Bambi...

20230719_184816.jpg

Thanks Crowman, until this recipe I had never known of Shishito Peppers but I like them now. ;)

Hmmmm, math was never my forte so lets try this, 60 hours divided by 24 (24 hours a day, yes  ;) ) = 2.5 days.
But yes, I think 5 days would have only enhanced the process given the beef cut I used.

Now my query, if a Deer gets into the nice garden box, can you harvest it.  :D