cooking thread...

I've read a wee bit about "stinging nettle" over the years. It's certainly plentiful, can you tell me more about harvest times and uses?

Stinging nettle is everywhere man. Its really really good for for increasing sex hormones. Actually it makes hormones more productive per say. It increase sbhg, sex binding hormone globulin

I usually pick in august but im no expert.

Actually im lying lol, ill grab it whenever I find it. You want the leaves, be careful cause it hurts like heck for about 24 hours if you touch the branches.

I dont cook with nettle, we use it for tea.

I can go deeper if ya want, let me know.

Its a great plant and often grows right in your yard

Older mature plant

images%206_zpsxkdw0ed4.jpg

Close up of stems

images%205_zpsjlkqufs6.jpg

Young plant ready to pick leaves

images%204_zpshf4njchv.jpg

Edited by manitoubass2

Stinging nettle is everywhere man. Its really really good for for increasing sex hormones. Actually it makes hormones more productive per say. It increase sbhg, sex binding hormone globulin

I usually pick in august but im no expert.

Actually im lying lol, ill grab it whenever I find it. You want the leaves, be careful cause it hurts like heck for about 24 hours if you touch the branches.

I dont cook with nettle, we use it for tea.

I can go deeper if ya want, let me know.

Its a great plant and often grows right in your yard

Older mature plantimages%206_zpsxkdw0ed4.jpg

Close up of stemsimages%205_zpsjlkqufs6.jpg

Young plant ready to pick leavesimages%204_zpshf4njchv.jpg

Nettle is great for alleviating arthritis symptoms. My hands and arms brush up against it all the time in the pepper patch. It stings a little at first, then tends to numb the area touched. Helps a lot when my hands cramp up.

Nettle is great for alleviating arthritis symptoms. My hands and arms brush up against it all the time in the pepper patch. It stings a little at first, then tends to numb the area touched. Helps a lot when my hands cramp up.

Yeah ive only broke out once Bruce. It might be a personal thing im not sure?

It doesnt bother me anymore.

Ill look into the link between arthitis. My guess would be that as testosterone functions properly, it increased fluid to the joints. Also the more testosterone functions properly it can negate cortisone or increase it where needed. That would be my educated guess. But ill look into it more

One of the original English source texts would be Culpepers herbarium. Just have to skip over the astrology stuff. Even so, much of what was known then is applicable today. Folks would be amazed at how many common "weeds" have useful purpose.

Edited by bigugli

Hey M2B2 where's the jar of Hemp? I had a patch of mint next to the cottage and wild garlic. Someone else that lives here took care of it as she thought it was weeds one spring, gasp.

Great idea to have a pot luck OFC. I'm offering my place on the lake. You folks bring the food and pop and I'll supply the chairs and view. No problem. After the first week in June works.

Speil, Check out Punjab market, you will love it. Pick up some Chevap when there. My favorite id Beef and Pork, I'm not sure if they carry Lamb mix anymore. They are small Croatian or Serb sausages without casings, BBQ'd is the best. You won't be disappointed if you have not already had them. I may have walked right by you on Saturday, Dave said you were there. OFC name tags on lanyards are a good idea for days like Saturday. I'm the same Johnny D but the 52" chest and 34" waist is different. Reverse the numbers!!!
edit: dip then in Tzaziki and traditionally they are eaten with raw green onions, I do both.

Most if not all of todays medical drugs come from natural sources. I'm going to hunt around for stinging nettle. It looks familiar, I don't want to be rubbing poison Oak all over my knees and hips.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Rick and Bruce, how do you prepare nettle to aid one medically. PM me if you wish as no one needs a lawsuit because they had a bad reaction.

Thanks

Johnny D

Old world practice was simply to pick a few young sprigs and rub on the affected area. I pick weeds, including nettles, bare handed. Feels nice when the stings hit the hands from the younger sprigs, and it sure feels good to rub some on the hands when they are cramping up. The older, more mature, plants you try not to have too much contact. Those I pull from the root ball

Rick and Bruce, how do you prepare nettle to aid one medically. PM me if you wish as no one needs a lawsuit because they had a bad reaction.

Thanks

Johnny D

You can also dry it for teas, or just dry it and eat it. Or you can supplement with a standerdized extract Edited by manitoubass2

Its basically a preprepared amount of the medicinal content found in the plant.

Plants have many medicines in them, some you want some you may not.

So you can buy products that offer a certain amount of the medicinal parts of the plant you wish to use.

So say you want to use white willow as an anti inflammatory. You can buy a product that say has 500mg of white willow, but its standerdized to contain 15% salycitic acid. So the product has 75mg of salycitic acid(same or similar compound to aspirin)

Well it'll soon be time for a bowl of home made split pea soup.

Made the stock yesterday, finished the soup today.

hl0xKyH.jpg

Ingredients all in the pot with the bone.

MS63PDi.jpg

Boil gently for a few hours.

Strained and all the good smoked pork stripped from the bone and set aside.

Over night in the fridge, skimmed excess fat off this morning, added the yellow split peas and a few other goodies and voila!

8oT9qXN.jpg

Dinner for me. :)

Well it'll soon be time for a bowl of home made split pea soup.

Made the stock yesterday, finished the soup today.

hl0xKyH.jpg

Ingredients all in the pot with the bone.

MS63PDi.jpg

Boil gently for a few hours.

Strained and all the good smoked pork stripped from the bone and set aside.

Over night in the fridge, skimmed excess fat off this morning, added the yellow split peas and a few other goodies and voila!

8oT9qXN.jpg

Dinner for me. :)

Damn..... Right now I wish I was still a basement dweller.....

Makes some good eats!

G

What a coincidence!

I also did up a batch of Dr Doug's "Bucheron" Split Pea Soup yesterday, and pressure canned seven quarts of it.

But I am not taking any more pictures when my wife is around................

Doug

Love a good thick scratch pea soup, but the family does not. I have one ham bone in the freezer waiting to join Friday's victim in the pot.

Bruce

I just boiled up a nice ham and baked it. The left over flavored boiled water, just finished with some 3 whole onions and celery and carrots. That will be in the fridge til Saturday, to be mended with the left overs from good Fridays remains.Easter Sundays fix,n, will be soooooooo good.

Bruce

I just boiled up a nice ham and baked it. The left over flavored boiled water, just finished with some 3 whole onions and celery and carrots. That will be in the fridge til Saturday, to be mended with the left overs from good Fridays remains.Easter Sundays fix,n, will be soooooooo good.

Mmmmmmmm