cooking thread...

Care to share a picture of you canner please? Any of you two.

Doug

I think you owe me a video, so a canning one would be great and fair. :whistling::tease:

Buddy it is all I can do to upload photos here and I have zero idea how to take a video, let alone put it on here.

This is the company that makes the two canners I have, and in my view they have the best and most user-friendly products out there:

http://www.allamericancanner.com/allamericanpressurecanner.htm

Doug

A majority of stuff I can goes into the canner at ten pounds pressure for varying times. Meats and fish almost always 90 minutes. Etc etc. You can pressure can darn near anything - the one item I had the hardest time believing was canned bacon, and it's awesome.

Good luck!

Doug

Canned bacon, there's no way it can remain crisp and crunchy. I'm going to have to try that along with a few other items this year.

Canned bacon, there's no way it can remain crisp and crunchy. I'm going to have to try that along with a few other items this year.

Put it in the fry pan for maybe twenty seconds, you have crispy bacon. Send me a note, buddy.

Doug

Presto 23qt from Amazon is what I have. It's gasketed which will fail but for the price difference I can buy lots of gaskets.

Presto makes a good product, I have two of their pressure cookers (not canners). I am sure they have a good instruction manual about how the pressure canner works, and that is very important. If it has a weighted pressure release gizmo, then you need to learn how that will affect the pressure you can achieve; if it has a gauge that is a lot easier to work with, but it is not nearly as foolproof as the weights. Good luck! (And please feel free to post queries about stuff...)

Doug

i have trouble uploading photos here as well,always says the file is too big

I believe you need to use a photo uploading service such as photobucket. I cannot post pictures here directly from my computer, and I use a service called Hunt101.com

HTH

Doug

I just wrote out thiS recipe for mr blizzard, but since I had already worn my fingers down to nubbins typing it, I reckoned I could post it here too. :canadian:

DOUG'S STUFFED BAKED FISH RECIPE

This is like that elephant stew recipe - first catch an elephant............

First, catch a decent sized trout, salmon, or whitefish. (Other species may work but I have not tried them)

And of course when you catch that fish, you dispatch it quickly and put it immediately on ice so it is in prime condition for your table.

Now gut the fish, leaving the head on, and skin on, but gills removed, then lay the fish on its back and cut a v-shaped notch down through the ribs on either side of the backbone from head to tail. Try not to poke the knife all the way through the skin above the backbone. Then pull out the backbone (cut it or twist it off at both ends) and the fish is now lying flat on its back with the sides open to you. Fillet out the rib bones on each side, starting where the backbone was and down to the belly, and remove the rib bones (and any belly fat). Now you have a boneless whole fish.

Stuff the cavity with a bread stuffing like you would use for turkey or whatever, stick a wine cork in the mouth, tie the body up with butcher twine if necessary to keep the fish shape whole, then wrap it in aluminum foil and cook at 400 until it flakes easily with a fork.

Remove the fish from the foil onto a platter, take out the cork and replace it with a quarter-lemon wedge, pop out the eye and replace it with a red maraschino cherry, and serve. It is a very classy looking feast.

Note: if you serve this to a gathering where there are children, I can almost guarantee there will be a fight over who gets the cherry. It is a good idea to have some spare maraschino cherries for this purpose. :whistling:

Doug

WELL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I am pretty pleased with my first try.

Out of the oven after 3.5 hours at 200 deg. I always go more then I am told. Cooked is cooked to me.

post-32-0-83725200-1452977180_thumb.jpg

I sliced a piece and yes, it,s brown not pink like the store, I fried a slice. . I tried it first. OMG The mrs,s was like I want some. So, what ya think? :good:

post-32-0-71463300-1452977208_thumb.jpg

When I knew it was all good, I sliced it up. THICK PLEASE. :D

post-32-0-12824200-1452977463_thumb.jpg

Cooled and bagged. I didnt go the single slice thing. I will cook it a bag at a time. :canadian:

post-32-0-21931100-1452977481_thumb.jpg

The trimmed rind is candy.

post-32-0-83441600-1452977470_thumb.jpg

post-32-0-54572300-1452977487_thumb.jpg

Thanks to each of you for all your help .

BACONBOTIET

Oh to have a smoker. I,ll bet the taste would be even better.

Yes sir, that would be highly correct. Cold smoked with maple wood chips, and yes the result is AWESOME.

But as I have said a few times on here, pork bellies have been in the six to seven dollar a pound range here in K-town, and I can buy unbelievable smoked side bacon from Krug's Butcher Shop in Tavistock for about that same money. And Krug's is THE BOMB.

Doug

Oh to have a smoker. I,ll bet the taste would be even better.

Well, I told you I'd give you my cold smoke generator if you wanted to make a road trip (or you could have just come for a visit and we could have smoked it here, only takes an hour) but yes, it does make a big difference, my favorite is maple!

Good job BTW, looks awesome!

SOMEWHERE back in this thread was a mention of "no knead bread."

I looked up a bunch of different sources for this and found one I liked. So it calls for a heavy ovenproof covered dish about five to six quarts capacity. Perfect would be an enamel-covered cast iron pot like the one I had that was made by Le Creuset and gave away some many moons ago since I was not using it.............

And looking at the price of them nowadays, two hundred bucks (plus tax!), I don't see myself buying a two hundred dollar bread pan.

So I looked in my closet and there was this cast iron chicken fryer, with lid, that a buddy gave me probably fifteen years ago for looking after his sheep while he was away. I had used it a few times in my old hunt camp - notably to make my sweet and sour goose legs recipe. Anyways after I sold that camp I put most of my pots and pans away for storage. Including this honkin' big covered cast iron pot.

So it's a wee bit rusty and I just spent a half-hour scrubbing it inside and out (YES I AM A SINNER) and have given it a good rinse and now it is on the stove percolating away with a couple quarts of water to rinse all of the soap out of the pores.

Then it will get dried off, lathered with oil, and re-cured out in the BBQ. Anybody who has cured a cast iron pan knows about the billowing noxious clouds of smoke that ensue!

And once it is cured and scent-free by golly I am going to bake some no-knead bread! So I'll have a bun in the oven like our buddy Rick.

Doug

Ok olive lovers, you have to try these. Buy bulk. It takes time but all are amazing!

Got this recipe on a moose hunt where the tradition is everyone brings a unique food for all to taste

20150628_142616_zpsaexuf0ga.jpg

So I manged to find some bulk olives at a wholesaler, but in a plastic 4l container. Hopefully these will work well enough. Price was right at $18

olives_zpsrc1ir9mw.jpg

I'm not too sure about the plastic reacting with the oil, so I'm actually thinking of splitting them up into 4 1 liter mason jars so I can try different recipes and use glass instead. Does anyone have any other ideas on different spices etc. I could add as well? Maybe onions.Tks

Cheers

It all started with that. I checked out all sorts of other recipes online and that gave me lots of ideas. So I made up five different batches in quart mason jars. Three of them I just made up myself, one I found on line I added to a bit, and my first one was Ricks #3 recipe with a bit extra olive oil added. The kitchen smelled great that afternoon as for 4 of the batches I was toasting seeds in a SS pan and then adding oil and spices to simmer for two minutes and then got poured into the jars hot. I used different combos of peppercorns, coriander seeds, mustard seed, fennel seed, allspice berries, juniper berries and celery seed. Lots of garlic and heat mixed in and different herbs. Even citrus in two of them.

I think I'm most intrigued with #4. Toasted celery seeds, 20 sliced wild garlic, hot chili powder, smoked paprika, cajun spice, cumin, chipolte powder, tarragon leaves and orange peel slices. Everything simmered in hot oil for 3 minutes and then added to the olives.

So here's my quandary, and I'm blaming it all on Rick lol. He's the one who said to wait for two whole months before eating. It's now been a full month. Two weeks in a cabinet in the basement, and now two weeks in the fridge. They get turned everyday. But I'm not sure how long I can wait lol. I'm so tempted.

spiced%20olives_zps6rt23xll.jpg

Some of you may remember this from back in the summer. I figured it was time to post a report. I actually managed to wait over 2 months before trying these. Turned them most every day. I started with #4. Well the spice mix wasn't bad but the orange peel turned out to be a big mistake as it didn't mix well with the other spices at all. Disappointed to say the least. I still have half the jar but I think I will rinse them out and add some fresh oil and garlic and more heat to see if that helps.

Then I tried my #1, which was Ricks #3 recipe made with fresh garlic and a bit extra olive oil. They were very good with a nice bite to them but unfortunately I dropped the whole jar on my concrete basement floor so I didn't get to enjoy them much at all. :( Boy was I ever pissed at myself for that dumb move. Will definitely try again

Next was my #2, which I modified from an online recipe I found. It turned out excellent, but unfortunately I'm almost out of that batch. Will definitely make again, maybe two, and one with more heat this time. Here is how I made it...

4 cups olives. Well rinsed and drained in my case

4 large cloves garlic. . In my case that's one large bulb of Music :)Don't use china crap. Sliced thin. Add to hot oil and simmer. They taste great too

1/2 cup sunflower oil.

4 tbsp of olive oil.

4 tbsp white wine vinegar

2 tsp coriander seed

1 tsp peppercorns

1 tsp of mustard seed

2 tsp cumin seed

1 tsp red pepper flakes. Add to hot oil and simmer

2 bay leaf leaves. Cut in half. I used fresh as I have a year round bay laurel plant.

1 tsp smoked paprika

1 tsp salt. I ground some pink salt in. Since I started using it I haven't used regular salt at all. It is so much better

Toast all the seeds for 2-3 minutes. Your nose will thank you. I used a ss fry pan. Not too hot but the odd seed may jump around

Add the oils, bring up to a light simmer for a bit and then kill the heat I added the paprika right at the end. Let cool for a while

Alternate seeds and olives in the jar.

I added the oil to jar while still hot. I did 5 batches that afternoon hehe.

Use a fresh sealer lid on the mason jar, preferably preheated in very hot water. Never had a jar leak and two of them are still on their side yet. They are more square so they don't roll.

I never missed a day turning them for at least the first month and didn't miss too many over the next month. Now its once a week for the last two that I haven't tried yet.

These olives turned out excellent like I said. Highly recommend. Wish I could have had more of #1 to give a better review but I could eat these forever and be happy. Compared to what you could find even in a deli, well there is no comparison IMO, not even in a high end restaurant I'd wager. Fantastic on home made pizza btw.

So thanks to Rick way back on page 37 for catching my eye with that one post on the hunt camp recipes. I got 5 qts for $18 worth of olives. I still have 2 remaining, #5 will be opening soon. If I really like it I'll post that recipe as well.

Cheers

Im not gonna lie, ive been waiting for this lol.

Too bad ya dropped a patch?

This is def. Something you can play around with.

Odds are they will be amazing.

Glad you followed through.

Ill eat these olives on almost everything, or by the bowl lol

Thanks for the detailed report

FORGET GUY FIERI

WELCOME TO SIMON IN THE KITCHEN............CDN Version

We dont see many videos on the cooking thread although we have had countless amazing pics and recipies posted :worthy:

This is something you would expect to see on the food network :tease:

Thanks for bringing your spectacular videos from not just the outdoors but into the kitchen as well

I believe we could all smell the aroma of that fine soup in our kitchens lol

Never tried whitefish soup but nothing is going to stop me now, love whities but always do them in the frying pan

Now to try them in a soup GAME ON :canadian:

Beautiful presentation

FORGET GUY FIERI

WELCOME TO SIMON IN THE KITCHEN............CDN Version

We dont see many videos on the cooking thread although we have had countless amazing pics and recipies posted :worthy:

This is something you would expect to see on the food network :tease:

Thanks for bringing your spectacular videos from not just the outdoors but into the kitchen as well

I believe we could all smell the aroma of that fine soup in our kitchens lol

Never tried whitefish soup but nothing is going to stop me now, love whities but always do them in the frying pan

Now to try them in a soup GAME ON :canadian:

Beautiful presentation

LOL…thanks John.

I just tried another recipe I made up. Did not video it as I had only imagined the recipe and the logistics of cooking it get worked out on the trial run.

Anyway…it was amazing!

Steamed whitefish on zucchini noodles with fresh homemade parsley sauce and garlic new potatoes……..the picture does not do it justice as the lighting in the kitchen sucks….but you get the idea.

IMG_1043_1.jpg