cooking thread...

Dinner for one. Always thinking about my diet (not) and trying to eat healthy but sometimes it just seems I stray. An 8oz bacon wrapped beef tenderloin( BBQ'd very rare) with a side of baby spinach salad (with bacon bits, tomatoes and hard boiled eggs) along with rice and peas. Pretty yummy. *burp*

11042305_1541826806078048_57855696173250

I start with beef in a bowl(how much just depends)

I add a good shot of worchestire sauce, 2 packs of onion soup mix, panko bread crumbs, montreal steak spice, ketchup, 2 eggs, then mix it by hand very thoroughly.

I dont measure anything so after mixing if its too wet add a lil more crumbs, too dry add another egg or more ketchup.

Make the balls by squashing together a few times the roll in you hands and they should be nice and formed,no cracks.

Place on a baking tray covered in aluminium foil and a quick pam spray.

A a dab of dianes regular bbq sauce to the top of each meatball then add to an oven preheated to 400

When the top starts to get semi done looking, pull them out. Add a good dollop of dianes again and broil on high till it carmelizes.

Done to perfection everytime, nice and moist inside? carmalized outside mmm

Edited by manitoubass2

Finally had time to run my smoker for the day. Did a couple of roasts and smoked sausage for a pulled pork dinner tonight with out of town relatives coming into see the grandaughter.

Got in a big batch (200 odd) of Swedish meatballs.

Biggest thriil was my first attempt at smoking my own bacon. Let the pork belly marinate for 36 hours in a brine of brown sugar, sea salt, and apple juice. Followed up by 6 hours in the smoker on very low heat curing with cherry wood. The result.

DSCN4498_zpsznqr2jla.jpg

DSCN4499_zps9l4o1y67.jpg

We had a sampling along with our dinner, and everyone fell in love with the bacon fresh from the smoker. Can't wait to fry some in the pan.

Finally had time to run my smoker for the day. Did a couple of roasts and smoked sausage for a pulled pork dinner tonight with out of town relatives coming into see the grandaughter.

Biggest thriil was my first attempt at smoking my own bacon. Let the pork belly marinate for 36 hours in a brine of brown sugar, sea salt, and apple juice. Followed up by 6 hours in the smoker on very low heat curing with cherry wood. The result.

We had a sampling along with our dinner, and everyone fell in love with the bacon fresh from the smoker. Can't wait to fry some in the pan.

Looks great Bruce. I've not yet tried to smoke my own but I will sometime after the 10 pounds of bacon I have in the freezer get's used up. ;)

I start with beef in a bowl(how much just depends)

I add a good shot of worchestire sauce, 2 packs of onion soup mix, panko bread crumbs, montreal steak spice, ketchup, 2 eggs, then mix it by hand very thoroughly.

I dont measure anything so after mixing if its too wet add a lil more crumbs, too dry add another egg or more ketchup.

Make the balls by squashing together a few times the roll in you hands and they should be nice and formed,no cracks.

Place on a baking tray covered in aluminium foil and a quick pam spray.

A a dab of dianes regular bbq sauce to the top of each meatball then add to an oven preheated to 400

When the top starts to get semi done looking, pull them out. Add a good dollop of dianes again and broil on high till it carmelizes.

Done to perfection everytime, nice and moist inside carmalized outside mmm

Just a suggestion... if the mixture is on the dry side, add cream to the mixture to give them an even richer taste. Also, if you like, try using ground veal and pork instead of just beef.

HH

DSCN4498_zpsznqr2jla.jpg

DSCN4499_zps9l4o1y67.jpg

:good:

Never tried a wet brine for bacon but I'm going to try with my next batch. The apple juice and the natural acids in should make for great tender beacon.

Thanks for posting!!!!

Dan.

The hell with the bacon, Bruce,ship me those crunch,ns sheets. :worthy::D

Bacon looks good to though. :good:

And there I thought they were called scrunchins. My mother-in-law (from Witless Bay, how hilarious is that!) puts what she calls scrunchins on her fish and brewis.

Doug

And there I thought they were called scrunchins. My mother-in-law (from Witless Bay, how hilarious is that!) puts what she calls scrunchins on her fish and brewis.

Doug

Yes scrunchins Doug. Stick to yer teeth good. LOL

Oh to have a good feed of Fish and brews. Side of fried cod tongs as well.

And to add to them Doug, I would slice that rine in 1/2" slices,then in 1" pieces after that and fry til crispy. You can suck on the pieces like a candy. :canadian:

Yes me son, and pour ALL of the grease that you rendered out of them onto the pan of fish and brewis!!!! Enough salt in that dish to season a whole cow.

Doug

The hell with the bacon, Bruce,ship me those crunch,ns sheets. :worthy::D

Bacon looks good to though. :good:

I can suck and chew on those pieces of salted rind for hours. With pork shoulder I'd carve off the rind fat, cover with salt overnight and then bake til hard and brittle. What a treat when I was growing up.

DSCN4498_zpsznqr2jla.jpg

DSCN4499_zps9l4o1y67.jpg

Looks fantastic Bruce, I'm going to have to try your marinade on my next batch. I have been cold smoking ( < 20°C) my bacon for the last little while now and really like the results.

Looks fantastic Bruce, I'm going to have to try your marinade on my next batch. I have been cold smoking ( < 20°C) my bacon for the last little while now and really like the results.

I'll have to try cold smoking a batch next time around. This time around I had too many different things cooking in the smoker so I had my temps up around 130F

Lobster Bisque 101

Crack lobster shells and put meat in one container and roe/tomalley in another small container

22900267723_7156e03dcc_k.jpgIMG_3991 by Joeyfishing, on Flickr

23418884832_2fdcb367d8_k.jpgIMG_3993 by Joeyfishing, on Flickr

Shred carrots, cut leeks, celery, onion, shallots and garlic, mix together

23444936351_8e69e7b307_k.jpgIMG_3990 by Joeyfishing, on Flickr

Melt butter in large saucepan and cook just the lobster shells until brown bits stick to bottom (do not burn butter)

23501288966_30c26a85e7_k.jpgIMG_3994 by Joeyfishing, on Flickr

23159405819_e6bb76c449_k.jpgIMG_3995 by Joeyfishing, on Flickr

Add vegetables and saute for a bit longer (2 minutes or so)

23159404579_5d2cbd2756_k.jpgIMG_3997 by Joeyfishing, on Flickr

Add booze :)

23527376415_2aa10e56ee_k.jpgIMG_3996 by Joeyfishing, on Flickr

Bring to a boil, to let some steam off then add chicken stock and a can of tomato paste, let simmer for 30 minutes

23159403349_953ce2b251_k.jpgIMG_3999 by Joeyfishing, on Flickr

In the meantime, heat more butter, add the roe and tomalley and cream. Whisking constantly. Take off heat and let stand

22899095134_4400348679_k.jpgIMG_4003 by Joeyfishing, on Flickr

23418878472_cde263b474_k.jpgIMG_4004 by Joeyfishing, on Flickr

Strain the roe/tomalley/cream mixture through a sieve

22900268853_6b857d3fbe_k.jpgIMG_4008 by Joeyfishing, on Flickr

Strain the lobster/veggie mixture into another pot through a strainer (discarding everything but the liquid base)

22899094284_0ee955a53c_k.jpgIMG_4005 by Joeyfishing, on Flickr

Add the roe/tomalley/cream mixture to the soup base (and whatever spices you like). I like garlic and onion powder, dill and paprika and some salt and pepper. I may add an oxo for more flavor.

23231616610_ff6ef52e4d_k.jpgIMG_4009 by Joeyfishing, on Flickr

Add the already cut up lobster meat and top with cut chives and a bun :)

23231615730_60eae5de3a_k.jpgIMG_4010 by Joeyfishing, on Flickr