cooking thread...

Trying to make potato bombs like on the bbq pit boys except u cannot find an apple corer anywhere in Yellowknife, nothing surprizing, they used it to core out the centre of russet potatos, fill with onions cheese ham sausage whatever.....,had to do the McGiver thing and made the hole with my fathers brace and auger bit, yes Iron Maker u can relate lol, but instead of plugging the holes with the potatoe cores we used paring knife facsimilies as plugs,,,also in the centre u add 2 dolups of budder, then BRIAN YES U DO WRAPED THE SPUDS WITH BACON 2 STRIPS then wrap in foil for 1 hour on indirect heat turning once,,when done carve lengthwise in half and drizzle with sour cream and chopped chives or green onions with some fried crumbled bacon

Sweet dreams bacon lovers, I mean Brian, and Borger and Spiel and Smitty and Geritt and ,,,,,,,,,

Last night's dinner of bacon and more bacon. Some of the left over maple bacon wrapped beef (that was maple smoked) with a side of more maple bacon accompanied with a side of red tater, red onion home fries, sunny side up eggs and buttered toast. Looks like bacon again tonight, hate when that happens. :)

11954584_1521267398133989_53497176791314

Trying to make potato bombs like on the bbq pit boys except u cannot find an apple corer anywhere in Yellowknife, nothing surprizing, they used it to core out the centre of russet potatos, fill with onions cheese ham sausage whatever.....,had to do the McGiver thing and made the hole with my fathers brace and auger bit, yes Iron Maker u can relate lol, but instead of plugging the holes with the potatoe cores we used paring knife facsimilies as plugs,,,also in the centre u add 2 dolups of budder, then BRIAN YES U DO WRAPED THE SPUDS WITH BACON 2 STRIPS then wrap in foil for 1 hour on indirect heat turning once,,when done carve lengthwise in half and drizzle with sour cream and chopped chives or green onions with some fried crumbled bacon

Sweet dreams bacon lovers, I mean Brian, and Borger and Spiel and Smitty and Geritt and ,,,,,,,,,

Oh my, must go get some russets!

Looking for ideas on what to do with a whole chicken fellas...... I have a Maple Leaf Prime chicken that I pulled out of the freezer. I could just simply season it and toss it in the oven I suppose..... Or I could spatchcock it and BBQ it....

Or.....????

Any ideas guys?

G

G, brine it for as long as you can, before cooking.

Brine: equal parts salt and sugar, dissolved in water. Drop the bird in it, refrigerate until time to cook. Over night is best.

Rinse off the brine, split the bird in two. Cover the bird in your favorite seasoning and put it on the top rack of the BBQ. close lid and let cook for 45-50 minutes on high.

Done!

HH

RE- drunken Chicken.

We had a party here at the house a few years ago, I had to feed about 35 people. I put 6 chickens on the BBQ, all beer can chicken.

I figured it would be a good time to try different liquids in the cans to see if they made any difference in the taste of the bird. I used;

-water

-beer

-coke

- ginger ale

-sprite

-apple juice

Once finished cooking, I tasted a bit from every chicken and guess what.... NO DIFFERENCE!!!

The key I have learned to beer can chicken, make sure that what ever liquid you use, is at least warm, not cold like a beer. Cold liquid in the can only slows the cooking process.

HH

RE- drunken Chicken.

We had a party here at the house a few years ago, I had to feed about 35 people. I put 6 chickens on the BBQ, all beer can chicken.

I figured it would be a good time to try different liquids in the cans to see if they made any difference in the taste of the bird. I used;

-water

-beer

-coke

- ginger ale

-sprite

-apple juice

Once finished cooking, I tasted a bit from every chicken and guess what.... NO DIFFERENCE!!!

The key I have learned to beer can chicken, make sure that what ever liquid you use, is at least warm, not cold like a beer. Cold liquid in the can only slows the cooking process.

HH

I found the same I usually use water with spices added in it not sure if it does anything but smells good

Or I could spatchcock it and BBQ it....

Give it a good jerk rub and cook away on indirect bud. I get mine from the bulk barn. I did 3 up the last time at the Nip g2g. It got goobled up.

Now is the day I wish I had a smoker, but hey, I can make anything work for me.LOL

Nice piece of roast, punch some holes and fill with garlic cloves and give a good dry rub.

Will put on indirect for 2 hours at 275.

meat%20001_zpseyl3iedv.jpg

meat%20003_zpsqepogdfh.jpg

Brian, that looks awesome!!! I get my jerk seasoning at no frills, it's dirt cheap

I've done the beer can chicken in the past, and it was good! However I felt it was a waste of beer! And imparted little to no flavour to the bird. Fresh savoury and fresh thyme sprigs, in an empty can with pre boiled (hot) water however was awesome as the aromatics were already being released and intensified and the water further boiled down.

I've found however beer chicken just doesn't work on the kettle due to the height of the lid. And I don't enjoy the taste of creosote should the chicken touch the lid.

I'll either spatchcock it or split it I'm thinking..... She's brining boys.. 1/3 cup coarse salt and 1/3 cup sugar.

Edited by Gerritt

Dang........ That does sound like an idea B! Sadly I dont have the knife skills.....

Time to YouTube it.

The jerk seasoning I get is called cool runnings, comes in a giant plastic bottle. It's good!

Edited by Gerritt

Anyone else here use mayonnaise rub instead of brining first?

That makes a nice moist chicken too

Id follow brian here split and rub method...

Sounds great!

I use yogurt rick. Im not a big mayo guy.

Edited by Brian B