cooking thread...

I could use some help with a venison roast. I destroyed the first one (Over cooked it like crazy).. Can anyone help me out here? I hate ruining meat, especially venison!

I cook a lot of wild game, including deer. With a roast, I ALWAYS add a bit of broth in the pan, and I ALWAYS cover it. It cooks fast as you have already seen, and this is made much worse by the fact that most deer roasts are cut small, like two to three pounds.

So, into the roasting pan, pour probably 3/4 of a cup of (beef) broth over it, season it wit what you like (me: a light dusting of Montreal steak spice, a bit of seasoning salt and some granulated garlic), COVER IT, and into the oven at 325 F. Try ten minutes to the pound, then check it. For a very small roast, take it out when the internal temp in the thickest part of the roast hits 120 F, tent it with aluminum and foil and let it sit for about ten minutes, then slice it. You should have nice rare meat. If the roast is say three pounds, look for an internal temp of 130 before tenting it. For a roast about four pounds or better, you are probably safe going to 135 to 140, in which case you should have medium on the outside, medium rare inside that and rare in the middle.

So: use liquid, cover the roast, and take it out well before you would with beef. Enjoy!

Doug

PS) If the roast has fat, it is best to cut as much of that off as possible. Deer fat is nasty stuff and does NOT add to the flavour like, for example, beef fat.

I always liked using those clear oven bags for venison and other very lean game meats.

I have never tried those, but I imagine they would be good, because they would trap the moisture, correct? Same idea as using the cover on the pan.

Doug

Ok now I want medallions.

Doug you ever make em on your hunts?

Sliced lean deer meat, maybe 1/4 or 1/2" thick, dip in flour, add to hot oil in pan(I use butter with about of oil) and season with garlic salt(tad) garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper

Just a quick cook and you have one helluva tasty snack or edition to a meal

Ok now I want medallions.

Doug you ever make em on your hunts?

Sliced lean deer meat, maybe 1/4 or 1/2" thick, dip in flour, add to hot oil in pan(I use butter with about of oil) and season with garlic salt(tad) garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper

Just a quick cook and you have one helluva tasty snack or edition to a meal

Yep.

My favourite brunch!

Venison medallions, (but pan fried not deep-fried), with eggs over easy, cooked in the pan juices, and all served on top of hash-brown patties (best) or toast (second best). I have also served medallions and eggs on garlic toast, which is good, but I find that the garlic in the toast over-powers the other flavours. Heck, I just ate supper (Cream of Asparagus soup and an elk burger) and now I am hungry just thinking about this!!!

Of course the BEST medallions are tenderloin slices, but smaller loin slices, and even eye of round slices all work well for medallions. You can also trim bottom round steak, or for that matter top round steak, for medallions, but in both cases I prefer to leave those steaks cut whole-size.

OK where are those packages of frozen venison in my freezer!!!!!

Doug

Yep.

My favourite brunch!

Venison medallions, (but pan fried not deep-fried), with eggs over easy, cooked in the pan juices, and all served on top of hash-brown patties (best) or toast (second best). I have also served medallions and eggs on garlic toast, which is good, but I find that the garlic in the toast over-powers the other flavours. Heck, I just ate supper (Cream of Asparagus soup and an elk burger) and now I am hungry just thinking about this!!!

Of course the BEST medallions are tenderloin slices, but smaller loin slices, and even eye of round slices all work well for medallions. You can also trim bottom round steak, or for that matter top round steak, for medallions, but in both cases I prefer to leave those steaks cut whole-size.

OK where are those packages of frozen venison in my freezer!!!!!

Doug

Oh yeah never deep fried lol.

I just took out a tenderloin because the craving is huge lol

And yes! Awesome served with eggs!!! I try not to make medallions when the kids are around lol, or I have to make like 60 of them and by the time im done cooking I'll get 5, and I want at least 10 hahaha

They sure have good food here at the Victoria in. That's my wife's plate and it looks sloppy. It's actually meatloaf.

But damn it was tasty!

I got seafood stuffed mushrooms with chicken breast encrusted in black pepper corns, and what they call a twice baked potatoes but it's not your traditional twice baked potatoes. It's actually mashed potatoes, chive and bacon, cooled, then breaded and fried, served on a bed of aoli and boy the food was perfect!

This place:

http://www.northernontario.travel/thunder-bay/the-prospector-steakhouse-prime-rib-and-great-steaks-with-a-family-tradition-and-wild-west-atmosphere

and the home-made buns are also exceptional, serve yourself as many as you want from the salad bar.

One of the best restaurants I have been in, and that number is well into the hundreds...........

................but too far to travel from Kingston!

Doug

This place:

http://www.northernontario.travel/thunder-bay/the-prospector-steakhouse-prime-rib-and-great-steaks-with-a-family-tradition-and-wild-west-atmosphere

and the home-made buns are also exceptional, serve yourself as many as you want from the salad bar.

One of the best restaurants I have been in, and that number is well into the hundreds...........

................but too far to travel from Kingston!

Doug

Thanks Doug!!!! I will go with the wife next time for sure