cooking thread...

- some amazing meals coming out of here still!...

Been a while since life has offered the opportunity to share... but today is a special day for those of us with connections to the China and Asia - and with both my kids coming from there by birth, recognising and celebrating their culture is important. G shares not only my passion for the outdoors,and fishing but also cooking... If you are lucky enough to live in Toronto, the celebrations that bring in the Chinese New Year are incredible - I highly recommend stepping out and experiencing it.

Food plays a big part. . so a trip to the local chinese food market was made today..

round 1 - home made dumplings - pork, spring onions mushrooms and seasonings in wonton wrappers by G

IMG_20170128_175729_zpsue9n0rfi.jpg

IMG_20170128_175739_zpsbtq07qyo.jpg

IMG_20170128_182033_zpsfutgbqba.jpg

steamed for authenticity :)

IMG_20170128_184251_zpslm2b9ihc.jpg

IMG_20170128_185556_zpsy6gsrfak.jpg

accompanied by - Round 2 - pork lo mein with shrimp, garlic and ...

IMG_20170128_184245_zpsa1qfytxh.jpg

IMG_20170128_185554_zpsxxhp1qwg.jpg

To all our OFC members celebrating the Year of the Rooster today - Gung Hai Fa Cai

- some amazing meals coming out of here still!...

Been a while since life has offered the opportunity to share... but today is a special day for those of us with connections to the China and Asia - and with both my kids coming from there by birth, recognising and celebrating their culture is important. G shares not only my passion for the outdoors,and fishing but also cooking... If you are lucky enough to live in Toronto, the celebrations that bring in the Chinese New Year are incredible - I highly recommend stepping out and experiencing it.

Food plays a big part. . so a trip to the local chinese food market was made today..

round 1 - home made dumplings - pork, spring onions mushrooms and seasonings in wonton wrappers by G

IMG_20170128_175729_zpsue9n0rfi.jpg

IMG_20170128_175739_zpsbtq07qyo.jpg

IMG_20170128_182033_zpsfutgbqba.jpg

steamed for authenticity :)

IMG_20170128_184251_zpslm2b9ihc.jpg

IMG_20170128_185556_zpsy6gsrfak.jpg

accompanied by - Round 2 - pork lo mein with shrimp, garlic and ...

IMG_20170128_184245_zpsa1qfytxh.jpg

IMG_20170128_185554_zpsxxhp1qwg.jpg

To all our OFC members celebrating the Year of the Rooster today - Gung Hai Fa Cai

Wow!!!! Thats unreal!

Food is such a huge part of culture. Its amazing to accept and or adapt and explore

The second last pic I can almost smell

The last pic has me VERY hungry

Edited by manitoubass2

I'm here Shag buddy. I did write my recipe for Putanesca here last year or so. Just like Smitties. It takes longer to boil the pot of water and cook the spaghetti than it takes to make the succo. The sound of any tomato sauce will tell you when it's ready.

The story is that street walkers in Roma wanted something, quick, hot and spicy and cheap when they finished walking all evening. Thus putana pasta because that describes a hooker. Others dispute that story, I like it.

Spincast, that meal is unbelievable. I lived near TO's Chinatown for almost a year in the mid 70's. I gained 20 pounds, and not all bad pounds because I was in the gym everyday then. I have been to Japan and Korea and didn't want to leave because of the food. I pretend to be able to cook Asian food. I've had my Wok for over 30 years. Now I have a gas stove that has a very large burner that can get the BTU's up there. No where near what they would have in an Asian restaurant's kitchen but that extra heat makes a big difference for real stir fry. Without that heat we really, steam sauté at home. We're lucky to be close to Hamilton and several real deal Asian markets. I'll go in and pick up a bag of something and ask what it is and go home and give it a shot. Nowhere near what you do Spincast, great food you have going there. My buddy Quan closed down his restaurant in " The Cayuga Hotel", now there isn't a decent Asian meal within an hours drive. We called it the "Brown Water". He would ask if you wanted brown water, coffee, and Canadian gravy, ketchup. I miss the home made dumpling Moma made every morning at her table and miss Quan as much as his food, and great prices. A real character he is. If he likes you breakfast is 5 dollar, I paid 6 dollar because I had a new truck out front. A huge bowl of Won Ton soup (my favorite breakfast) loaded with strips of BBQ pork and Momas home made dumplings and fresh scallions along with a huge bowl of home made fried noodles 5 bucks. Or sometimes 6 bucks if you didn't have work cloths on, town councillors and the Mayor, 7 bucks and he charged them tax because they needed a reciept . We really miss that place. They retired and both deserve it, they owned it for over 30 years I was told. Sold the 90 year old hotel to the county and they are tearing it down to build a much needed new library. The bar with live music has been closed for years as well as the 25 rooms upstairs. That place used to rock Friday and Saturday nights and was packed after 3PM everyday with guys coming out of the huge plants at Nanticoke, 12 hour shifts killed that. Wives love 12 hour shifts.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Made some spaghetti squash burrito bowls for dinner last night, no pics but it's delicious and super easy.

50 mins in the oven for the squash after removing seeds, brush with oil and s&p to taste

Brown your choice of meat, we did lean ground chicken.

Corn, black beans, sweet potato, onion all cooked and then tossed in with the ground chicken, add a bit of salsa.

Once the squash is done pull from oven and scoop the strands and mix all ingredients in a big bowl, scoop back into the squash shells and add cheese on top, throw in oven until cheese melts and dinner is served!

Here's what it looks likeScreenshot_20170129-161215.png

Edited by Lucas F

Smitty, that meal was FANTASTIC!!!!

everyone enjoyed it.

Will make again!

Thanks!!!!

Right on Rick. Glad to hear. Did you use your super hot olives? What "meat" did you end up using?

I've got about a 1 1/2 cups of sauce left. It's going in the meat loaf mix for a test run. Should be good.

Cheers

Right on Rick. Glad to hear. Did you use your super hot olives? What "meat" did you end up using?

I've got about a 1 1/2 cups of sauce left. It's going in the meat loaf mix for a test run. Should be good.

Cheers

Yes I used the olives but it was just perfect heat. Not overwhelming to take away from the dish. It was nice added "pop" to the dish. Really really good.

We used chicken breast

Id pay for this dish at a restaurant

Edited by manitoubass2

Currently making some cedar plank salmon

your surf and my turf would be a mighty fine combo!

I took the roast out of the oven with an internal temperature of 125 and tented it in tin foil for five or six minutes. The very centre is quite rare, but the rest of it was just a lovely rare, and quite toothsome. I do enjoy my venison................

Doug

• 3 weeks later...

Is no one cooking this winter?

With all the talk of guys getting some fresh perch under the ice and Simons fantastic catches and meals back home I was wondering around the store yesterday wishing I could buy some fresh fish. Went to the fish counter and was dismayed at what I saw. Out of the corner of my eye I saw they had bags of live mussels on for $4.99. I bought a bag, they were great. I made mussels Marinara.

This is my recipe for mussels marinara for one of those mesh bags, a pound maybe?

• Sauté a finely chopped onion and 3 large crushed garlic cloves in EVO.
  • Add crushed chiles to taste

• add mussels, cover with lid

• once mussels start opening add a few cups of good white wine

• steam in the wine until open

• add 1 can of chopped tomatoes (this is 1 time I will buy the tomatoes chopped, perfect size to get into the shells and hold up to the heat without breaking down. I had a tube of tomato and peperika paste so I added a tablespoon. Hard to find, I get mine at Punjab Market in east Hamilton at Queenston and Centennial Pkwy. That place is like travelling the world. Canned fruit I can't pronounce from Sri Lanka to Chevapcici meat imported from Croatia.

• simmer on low heat until the succo tells you it's done, glub, glub, blop, glub. 3 glubs to 1 blop. You think I am nuts but the sauce makes different sounds when it's ready

Your done. Serve in a heated bowl. Traditionally on a piece of toasted bread on the bottom. And toasted bread to dip. Drizzle with EVO. These particular mussels didn't shrink much, very meaty. I will use frozen New Zealand Green mussels when I can find them, very large and meaty. The sauce will be more soupy than a normal marinara. Save any left over sauce. The next day it is perfect for Cappelini (angel hair) or Spagettini as it will have thickened up a bit more. We had it with Cappelini for lunch, oh boy. It is against all the rules to put cheese on pasta with any fish or shell fish sauces according to some die hard Italiano's ( My Ma). Arrest me, I confess.

Tip of the day, heat any dish or bowl including serving dishes etc. before plating. I put them in the microwave for a few minutes. Nothing can ruin a nice hot meal than to serve it in a stone cold plate or bowl.

There you go, OIM! I will be whistling and humming "Sweet Molly Malone" for the next three days, you know:

In Dublin's fair city

Where the girls are so pretty

I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone

She wheeled her wheelbarrow

Through streets broad and narrow

Singing "Cockles, and mussels, all alive alive oh............"

Fresh crappies are on tonight's menu. Youngest son came home last night well after I was in bed, woke me up. "Dad what should I do with all these crappies I caught?" "How many, son?" "Lots, they're in a feed bag." Got out of bed, saw there was a goodly number of very nice crappies there, and told my son I was going back to bed and he had better get some sleep so he could get up and go to work this morning. So it had not been my plan to fillet crappies this morning, but by golly I don't mind putting the steel to some slabs in anticipation of my first feed of crappies for 2017! YUM YUM

Doug

Shag, when I started reading your reply I was thinking "where in Hell is this guy going with this?" That is until I read the cockle and mussels........... I was worried there for a minute Shagster.

What time is dinner? If I leave now I can be there by 7, 35 minutes to the Heli Port. If I take the corporate jet, much sooner.

Shag, when I started reading your reply I was thinking "where in Hell is this guy going with this?" That is until I read the cockle and mussels........... I was worried there for a minute Shagster.

What time is dinner? If I leave now I can be there by 7, 35 minutes to the Heli Port. If I take the corporate jet, much sooner.

Come on over! :canadian:

But I am not doing hand-cut fries tonight. I was out on Tuesday and got into some lovely jumbo perch. So Valentine's Day supper was fresh-caught perch and hand-cut fries. :wub: Nothing tells your gal she's special like DEEP-FRIED food!!!!

So the crappies will go for a dip in some Fish Crisp and then pan-fried, with rice on the side.

Doug

Edited by akaShag

No hand cut tatters? I'm not coming. Rice sounds too healthy and that would ruin a good artery clog.

I have tried Fish Crisp a few times. I prefer the old home seasoned bread crumbs over it. But if someone catches, cleans and cooks the fish for me I'm not sending it back!

Enjoy my friend, enjoy.

edit: With all this talk about fresh Perch I think I am going to get in the car and go to Port Dover which is a 20 minute drive and spend a few bucks and treat myself. My Lady is working the late shift tonight, poor kid. No doubt it will be frozen. Capt. Highliner better not show up on my plate.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

No hand cut tatters? I'm not coming. Rice sounds too healthy and that would ruin a good artery clog.

I have tried Fish Crisp a few times. I prefer the old home seasoned bread crumbs over it. But if someone catches, cleans and cooks the fish for me I'm not sending it back!

Enjoy my friend, enjoy.

Make you a deal - you take me out on Erie in your boat I pay the gas, I fillet all the catch, I cut all the fries, I buy the vino and we have a big fish fry at your house. Grappa is on you. Got room in your driveway for my F-250 and camper? :whistling:

Doug

Ughhh I wish I could cook right now boys.

The BBQ is calling. Not sure what the weather is like down south?

But here, wow!

Screenshot_20170217-155351_zpsniqbqowk.p

That sounds like a great dish OI! You eat well my friend!

Akashag, I ditched hand cut fries along time ago for pan fried, dark crispy pan fried lol

Edited by manitoubass2

Those temps in F Rick? It's supposed to be plus 10 tomorrow. Crazy, I used the broom once to sweep of the steps of snow.

Shag I have the no Fords rule here. I would love to get out with you this summer for ginormous Erie Walleye or get into a few 14" Perch. Not counting chickens before they hatch though. There is a wonderful Provincial Park not 20 minutes from us. Selkirk P.P. right on the lake. I can stay there and you can stay here as long as you do my chores. Getting out on the lake sounds like a plan Doug. I haven't had Grappa since the last time I was arrested for lewd behavior in a public place. My pal broke a rock with his head that day falling out of a quad in a creek. The rock spent the night in hospital.

Sounds like a plan minus the Grappa. Maybe M2B2 will have recovered by then.

Lucas, now that is a perfectly done steak for me.

When I opened your link my PC locked up, something about security certificate not secure??

I removed that one, got a new phone decided to try imgur for photo sharing, not for me Photobucket it is!

Also yes that steak was perfect!

Spent 2 hours in the sous vide at 120* with a mesquite seasoning on it, heated my grill up to 700*+ threw it on after patting dry and re seasoning then 1 minute, twist 1 more minute flip and repeated on the other side... Love my new Weber ?

I removed that one, got a new phone decided to try imgur for photo sharing, not for me Photobucket it is!

Also yes that steak was perfect!

Spent 2 hours in the sous vide at 120* with a mesquite seasoning on it, heated my grill up to 700*+ threw it on after patting dry and re seasoning then 1 minute, twist 1 more minute flip and repeated on the other side... Love my new Weber ?

And you picked the perfect beer to go with steak! Big INNUS fan here.

I tried to switch too and stayed with Photobucket. But man my account got screwed. The second I set up my phone it started backing up every picture I had on my SD card. Of course like an idiot I thought that's OK. Better to have them backed up. Problem is, when it finished three days later, it decided to undo all my folders. Now I have like 14,000 pics and none of them are in folders or a particular sequence.nightmare

OI that's Celsius. Crazy nice out

And you picked the perfect beer to go with steak! Big INNUS fan here.

I tried to switch too and stayed with Photobucket. But man my account got screwed. The second I set up my phone it started backing up every picture I had on my SD card. Of course like an idiot I thought that's OK. Better to have them backed up. Problem is, when it finished three days later, it decided to undo all my folders. Now I have like 14,000 pics and none of them are in folders or a particular sequence.nightmare

OI that's Celsius. Crazy nice out

Yeah mine did that once before now it's all a jumbled mess lol, and yeah Innis and Gunn has gotta be my favourite beer I think.