cooking thread...

IMG_20160319_012044.jpg

Went in at midnight... Couple more hours to go... Currently sitting at 165 degrees, the stall is real!

Also im loving my wireless thermometer! I set up an alarm range to alert me if the smoker drops below 200 or above 235 and it will start beeping, got a wake up at 6am and had to turn the temp down as it was warming up outside so the heat came up! I had to build a wind screen out of cardboard so I could keep a stable temp... Oh the things we do for meat lol

Yeah I forgot to take pics of it when it was about to get cut up, but the bark was suuuuper crunchy, I think next time I'll do a different rub and re apply halfway through I read on a smoking forum that it'll give you a really nice bark, but I didn't wanna mess with it now with the cold weather and trying to maintain a temp etc

Went out and got walleye and crappie this morning. Thought I'd try a walleye and crappie medley.

Steamed the crappie with lemon and fresh dill and deep fried the walleye with a seasoned flour. Roasted some peppers with fresh herbs and an obscene amount of garlic and made a fresh parsley and English mustard sauce. For a twist on the usual fries i 'Julienned' the potatoes, they turned out like a kind of mixture between home made Hickory sticks and a hash brown.

Not sure the flavours mixed that well, the peppers were very sweet as were the potatoes, definitely an invention to tinker with and improve on, but none the less was well received by the judges.

IMG_0744.jpg

thanks man, like I saidit was 'interesting', good but not a triumph.lol

Well thats how we learn lol. Play around.

But thats one hellava plate! Id pay money to try out that dish!

Those potatoes though? Is that a white, red or a yam? Looks like a yam from the pic.

And I love yams!!!!

Edited by manitoubass2

I told the meat manager at Food Town last year that they needed to open another dept. next to the meat dept. A loans department. I said I used to shop for meat now I window shop. The prices are ridiculous. M2B2 and I talked about this last week. I have no idea a young family can live with food prices today. A small bunch of green onions that looked more like chives were $1.69 a very small bunch. I'm going to be very thin in a few years on my pension the way it's going. Perch going for 18 bucks a pound now in Pt. Dover. Saw NY strip yesterday for 26 bucks a pound, hello meat loaf.

Found this whole 3.5 kg beef tenderloin reduced to 24.99 Loblaw two days before best before.

Tenderloin sometimes is "aged" purposely.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/shiffy/media/IMG_0272_zpshtt9bufv.jpg.html?sort=3&o=466

Broke it down to 15 pcs. or so filet mignon, tournedous, medallions, and top chunk for chateaubriand.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/shiffy/media/10989264_10152882515702517_1321725737881365718_n_zpsoeccw0e1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

25 bucks.

I needed a steamer and dont have one, soooooooooooo

Improvise. adapted and over come. Newfie steamer.LOL

I need to get a proper steamer, but these dumplings didnt care how they got warmed up. They are so good. Got to learn how to make these myself, but for a couple bucks a piece, Im happy with them being made for me.

001.JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG

I needed a steamer and dont have one, soooooooooooo

Improvise. adapted and over come. Newfie steamer.LOL

I need to get a proper steamer, but these dumplings didnt care how they got warmed up. They are so good. Got to learn how to make these myself, but for a couple bucks a piece, Im happy with them being made for me.

attachicon.gif001.JPG

attachicon.gif002.JPG

attachicon.gif004.JPG

Brilliant

back to Brian..............

That bottom picture looks like you have Yosemite Sam on the top left corner of the plate............... :lol:

It's definitely there!

"dragons are so dumb" -Yosemite Sam

HH

Edited by Headhunter

Fettuccine Alfredo, Shrimp and seafood. Another his and hers.

Hers is the cajun shrimp alfredo .( fresh shrimp from Jonhnnys seafood)

Mines the seafood melody combo. Clams,octopus,mussels,shrimp.

Hers

fetticine%20002_zpsn3c5ryra.jpg

Mine

fetticine%20007_zpsf82hdxy8.jpg

fetticine%20008_zpspbyjj46x.jpg

Keeping everything cooking to be served at the same time.

fetticine%20013_zpsryuv9w1d.jpg

I use whipping cream (taught that from an old italian) and fresh parma to thicken up just nice. Fresh pasta, not dried. No premade alfredo jar crap here.

fetticine%20020_zpsvgzrbeib.jpg

Hers

fetticine%20016_zpsoj6dw7as.jpg

Mine

fetticine%20022_zps9dvffxst.jpg