cooking thread...

Dan. Im totally impressed dude. I was waiting for the rinced off part, and a fried up bacon turkey tomatoe sandwich, but the smoke was a bonus pleasure to see.

Question

If I dont bother to smoke, can I freeze the slabs like norm and use the bacon at will ?

Thanks again, and totally blown away at your creation. Well done.

Brian, what I do is after smoking the bacon, I return it to the fridge to cool down then I slice it and freeze the slices individually on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Once the slices are frozen I put them in a heavy gage zip lock bag and that way I can just take out what ever I need when I need it.

Beacon after 7 days cure.

911.jpg

After cure, rinsed off and a soak for 2 hours in fresh cold water.

912.jpg

In the smoker.

913.jpg

914.jpg

Fresh out of the smoker after 10 hours, with an internal temp of the belly at 140 degrees.

918.jpg

After slicing one of the slabs.

921.jpg

After frying up a few pieces and not to brag but it tasted great.

919.jpg

920.jpg

Even though the house smelled of smoke meat that the wife doesn't like; she thought it had a great taste and that's a first for her to admit not all smoked meats are bad. LOL

Dan.

Nice job Dan, it is a fair bit of work but it sure is worth it!

Almost forgot. Got myself a 1/2 pig through freshtrax delivered last week. Some real good quality meat there. I put 2 different styles of sausage in my smoker to try out. let me tell you I was not disappointed. The farmer's and honey garlic styles were quite tasy. Nice big fat links too. I don't think I ordered enough sausage!!

Glad you are enjoying it, I've had the farmers in the frying pan never thought to smoke any. I'm loving the pork chops with some mango chutney . Have you home smoked your bacon yet?

Glad you are enjoying it, I've had the farmers in the frying pan never thought to smoke any. I'm loving the pork chops with some mango chutney . Have you home smoked your bacon yet?

Have not gotten to that project yet. Still harvesting cherry tomatoes and hot peppers. Still doing a lot of canning. Probably about 2 weeks behind on my kitchen chores. BTW, how was the salsa?

Freshtrax and bigugli I am going to report u to to someone ,,,don't know who?

for doing something,,,I don't know what ???? :tease:

unless I can get my hands on some of those sausage :tease:

My tastebuds are doing weird and wonderful things just reading about them and invisioning them just COMING OUT OF THE SMOKER :clapping:

"And on the 12th day Of Christmas my true love sent to me 1 dozen sausage" LOL

Now my wife knows what I want for Dec 25th lol

Edited by mr blizzard

Lucas my wife and I definitely want to try ribs the way u prepare them, they are just to damn expensive right now, looks terrific

What's it cost for a pack of ribs up your way? These ones were on for 2.99/lb I think, 6.4lbs cost me around $20 will be my lunch/dinner for the next few days haha

Freshtrax and bigugli I am going to report u to to someone ,,,don't know who?

for doing something,,,I don't know what ???? :tease:

unless I can get my hands on some of those sausage :tease:

My tastebuds are doing weird and wonderful things just reading about them and invisioning them just COMING OUT OF THE SMOKER :clapping:

"And on the 12th day Of Christmas my true love sent to me 1 dozen sausage" LOL

Now my wife knows what I want for Dec 25th lol

You comes down here in Niagara sometimes, and ah guarontee to fatten you up somm good ( said with cajun accent lol.)

Edited by bigugli

Lucas are u sitting down, with a drink in your hand :whistling:

A similar pack last week was topping out at 54 loonies :(

Roughly 2 1/2 times what your paying

Couple of months ago they were actually under 40 dollars yahoo!!!

Yikes haha no way would I be paying that!