cooking thread...

Explain please,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Water immersion cooking, bag it and set it to your final cooking doneness I do 120° then sear on 700° to finish off and it's perfect rare every time to my liking. You can do just about anything with it. When I get through my final block of schooling in about a month I'm going to do a brisket... Probably going 4 days in the water bath then finishing in my smoker.

https://anovaculinary.com/

LOOKIT THEM VEGGIES!!!!!!!!

Must be enough for a dozen hungry diners! :whistling:

It cooked down quite a bit from there it was a pack of mushrooms 2 bell peppers and an onion, enough for some leftovers for fajitas tomorrow for dinner ?

Water immersion cooking, bag it and set it to your final cooking doneness I do 120° then sear on 700° to finish off and it's perfect rare every time to my liking. You can do just about anything with it. When I get through my final block of schooling in about a month I'm going to do a brisket... Probably going 4 days in the water bath then finishing in my smoker.

https://anovaculinary.com/

Thanks.

I have seen this on shows and even a cooking movie. Seems to be all the rage.

Do you really need a cell app for this?

Something tells me I could do this over a stove top, but just need to watch the temp. Yes/no ?

Edited by Misfish

Thanks.

I have seen this on shows and even a cooking movie. Seems to be all the rage.

Do you really need a cell app for this?

Something tells me I could do this over a stove top, but just need to watch the temp. Yes/no ?

No idea it would be tough to continuously monitor the heat it would climb rather than remain at the target temp.

I have the app I never use it. Set it and forget it basically

Haha it is kind of hidden by all the goodness... But a perfect rare all the way through NY strip won't catch me complaining.. the lady and I have cut most bread out of our diets only here and there, lots of fruit and veggies, still a bunch of meat for me ?

Edited by Lucas F

Scored today. We went Bowling this afternoon in Dunnville and didn't think about what dinner would be so we stopped into Food Basics. It is rare I will buy meat there, I had a bad experience with one of their big 10 buck bags of chicken once. I peaked into the meat isle and came across some Veal cutlets. It is rare to get veal here. The price was 16 bucks a kilo. I grabbed a few packs to take a chance. It was some of the best most tender veal I have ever had in my life if not the best. Like Provimi tender. Had I known it was that good I wouldn't have made breaded cutlets, I would have made scallopini with a white wine, julienned red peppers and mushroom sauce. I have a job at the Marine tomorrow just outside of town and am going in and buying every package they have and ask, beg, cajole,threaten the butcher to tell me where they got it. They had some steaks as well, I'll grab them too. As I said for whatever reason veal isn't sold here in Haldimand often, even at Hansen's on Hwy 3, our local family butcher. He said he doesn't get asked for it enough to carry any. This stuff was primo. Food Basics, who da guessed.

I have been doing this for years and never thought to pass it on.

10 cents a cup or less Cappuccino/Latte.

Make a pot of Espresso, 4 demitasse cups is usually what a normal espresso pot makes, about 1 fluid cup. Put some low fat milk in a sauce pan and heat for a few minutes.

Use an immersion blender to froth the milk, slide the blender side to side not up and down. Spoon it into large cup. 1/2 to 3/4 cup of milk will make a copious amount of froth.

Pour coffee into cup. Done. Sprinkle with raw sugar and or cinnamon and chocolate flakes. If it costs more than 10 cents a cup I would be surprised. I never did the math. I do know a splash of Caroline's Irish Cream brings the cost up bit well worth the inexpence. Probably up to $1.10 now.

You can always use regular coffee rather than Espresso.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I'd love to get into sous vide but I haven't been able to justify the cost with my present employment situation. :(

I have heard of folks trying it in coolers but it must still be a pita to get it right.

Cheers

Couldn't be easier actually, with the Anova, you set the temp and leave it be. I got mine for $130. I have seen the cooler idea but I can't justify ruining one to make a frankencooler out of one as much as I'd like to it just wouldn't get enough use, I use it probably 2-4 times a month and only single steaks thus far... Going to do a brisket soon probably an 8lb then smoke it to finish on low heat

Couldn't be easier actually, with the Anova, you set the temp and leave it be. I got mine for $130. I have seen the cooler idea but I can't justify ruining one to make a frankencooler out of one as much as I'd like to it just wouldn't get enough use, I use it probably 2-4 times a month and only single steaks thus far... Going to do a brisket soon probably an 8lb then smoke it to finish on low heat

$130... Hmm, I didn't think the good ones were that cheap actually from the bit of research I did a good while back. Now that I look again I see a 800W unit for under 150. Hmmm...

So you're making a big jump from a single steak to a 8lb roast. Are you confident your heater and pump is strong enough? Would an insulated container help? Just wondering...

Cheers

$130... Hmm, I didn't think the good ones were that cheap actually from the bit of research I did a good while back. Now that I look again I see a 800W unit for under 150. Hmmm...

So you're making a big jump from a single steak to a 8lb roast. Are you confident your heater and pump is strong enough? Would an insulated container help? Just wondering...

Cheers

I've seen them done with the unit I have before so I would think so, on the recipe I saw it was only having to maintain at 155° I don't think it would be an issue especially when the minimum cook time is a day... I'm going to do 3-4 days Edited by Lucas F

When one considers there is a 40% loss when you BBQ beef, traditionally cook it and even more when smoking one advantage of sous vide is zero loss of moisture. A unit will pay for itself. I had one a the Family restaurant but not one at home. It has me thinking. It's a good investment when you consider you are paying for food you won't get to eat. An inside round can taste and feel like you are eating sirloin.

I was typing and all of a sudden it disappeared???????? :dunno:

I was TRYING to say, this might be a silly question, but it APPEARS the meat is being cooked inside a plastic bag with those gizmos??? It sounds like there is no "plastic" taste??? But what about plastic leaching into the food? is the temperature kept so low that the plastic doesn't break down, or has anybody actually studied this? You know, ten or fifteen years from now they come out with a new study that cooking in plastic causes stomach cancer, or whatever??????????????

Doug

It is cooking polymer. Not your average Glad Bag Shag. The French have been doing this for decades. No leaching of chemicals into the food. Unlike folks heating food in Dollar Store plastic containers. That isn't healthy. I was guilty though but haven't been doing it any longer.

I was typing and all of a sudden it disappeared???????? :dunno:

I was TRYING to say, this might be a silly question, but it APPEARS the meat is being cooked inside a plastic bag with those gizmos??? It sounds like there is no "plastic" taste??? But what about plastic leaching into the food? is the temperature kept so low that the plastic doesn't break down, or has anybody actually studied this? You know, ten or fifteen years from now they come out with a new study that cooking in plastic causes stomach cancer, or whatever??????????????

Doug

Actually I'd say BBQing meat is far more dangerous. Studies do say that causes cancers. But it takes a heck of alot of BBQing before any damage would be noticed.

I haven't seen studies on the plastic bags, but yeah, my mind tells me there would indeed be an increased risk especially since plastic leaches synthetic estrogens over time, or when heated.

But, that risk is probably waaaaay lower than microwaving food. IM surprised anyone still uses microwaves. I know, convenience, but...

Edited by manitoubass2

Cooking over charcoal has been attributed to some Cancers. Much higher risk than NG or Propane. There are specific bags to be used with sous vie. Not Glad bags. That was 20 years ago. I don't get out much anymore though. The first 19 years of my life my Mother used all Aluminium pots and pans. Only Dad and 1 brother escaped having some form of Cancer.

A lot of people use vacuum sealer bags, actually recently Anova came out with their own line on silicone bags too, I have a random brand of silicone bags, but any large pieces I will have to use a large Ziploc or search for a replacement... Not too worried myself

M2B2 I remember when my good buddies older brother opened a Pizzeria when we were in Grade 12 he bought a Microwave. I think he paid over $1000.00 for it and that would be in 72'. That summer I bought my brand new TR6 for $3200.00. We threw everything that was in the fridge in it until he kicked us out. It burned up a week after he got it when a kid put a tinfoil plate in it. Imagine having to claim a Microwave on insurance. If I remember it became a very common arson tool in the Hamilton Mob bakery wars back then if the owner had one. A lunatic that worked for me wanted to know what would happen if you filled a Coke can with gasoline and nuked it on high in the Cast House lunchroom. No he didn't get fired, it was the 70's.

Its a long weekend. Time to cash in on the sales and celebrate with the family

oven roasted new taters in olive oil and rosemary;

oven roasted green beans in olive oil, garlic and onion

and well, the meat speaks for itself

Happy Easter all - however you recognise it

time with family is the best time of all

IMG_20170416_155951_zpswlws569x.jpg

IMG_20170416_160926_zpscnem5gdt.jpg

IMG_20170416_180909_zpsnajsdlmx.jpg