Gas auger advice

Mr.Topwater!

I've drilled 50 holes @ 10 feet apart just to find A drop off on Temagami. Last year the ice was 36"+ plus in February. It's currently 21!

Topwater..... as noted, either mix your specified mix (probably 40 to 1 in the manual) and be sure you have Stabil in it. Also as noted I've run the same 50:1 can of fuel I use for my Stihl chainsaw with their brand oil.. and it has stabilizer already in it.

Storage... you'll get about 3 different responses/ scenarios for that. I leave it full of fuel.

Edited by irishfield

Ethanol free gas, Opti-2 synthetic oil mixed per the instructions on the bottle and fuel stabilizer in every jug of gas.

I leave fuel in the tank @ the end of the season.

Make sure to grease the output shaft where the auger attaches. Remove auger, rub grease on the shaft and re-install.

If you don't it will rust the two together and you'll never get it off.

PS. I currently own 3 power augers. :canadian:

Edited by DRIFTER_016

I have an old 10" Eskimo and a new 8" Jiffy. I have used gas for longer then I can remember and I don't see the need to change. I think regardless of what you buy as there are so many to choose from today, just take care of it. Store it properly, keep it clean and always have fresh fuel. I highly recommend always carrying an extra set of blades with you.

I've drilled 50 holes @ 10 feet apart just to find A drop off on Temagami. Last year the ice was 36"+ plus in February. It's currently 21!

Man you waste a lot of energy!!!!!

I don't drill a hole until I know the depth.

Remove snow, place Marcum transducer on the ice, turn on unit, pour water from water bottle on ice to couple theducer to the ice, adjust depth knob if needed, read depth, repeat until you find your spot, drill holes!!! B)

Very important here when ice is 60" thick!!! :lol:

Currently our ice is about 36" thick. :huh:

Should I baby it at first? The manual says it won't "transfer full power" until after 2 hours of use, whatever that means. Also, can I keep it in the garage all winter? Thanks for all the plain speak answers. Smokestack's advice about the extra blades will be heeded.

Should I baby it at first? The manual says it won't "transfer full power" until after 2 hours of use, whatever that means. Also, can I keep it in the garage all winter? Thanks for all the plain speak answers. Smokestack's advice about the extra blades will be heeded.

No need to baby it.

It takes a while for the clutch shoes to bed in and the clutch can slip a bit until they do.

I noticed it on my Eskimo (same unit as yours rebranded) when I first ran it.

Always use fresh gas and don't be afraid to add extra oil.

It will smoke a little bit that means you have lots of lubricant and that is good on cold starts and it will clear up as the auger warms up.

When you add a little extra oil the only thing you will need to worry about is fouling the spark plug but that's rare on a auger.

It's like a chainsaw or weed eater a little bit of smoke is good .

Baby up the engine on cold starts and the rest (clutch) will let you know when it's time to go full on.

I always use stabil in my gas equipment & only Shell V power gasoline (V power contains 0 ethanol). I was unaware that there is a "marine grade" stabilizer. Where do I purchase this stuff? My Jiffy auger manual specifies a 24:1 mix. Anybody else have these specs? Mr. Topwater - I strongly recommend you read the owner's thoroughly before operating it. Follow their instructions. If your new auger should fail, at least you have followed their procedures when (hopefully it's not necessary) it comes time for a warranty repair.