Parking for Bonnie Boats $30 per day!!!!

fishnsled

I'm not sure it you still have to pay for the launch on top of that or not but I think so. I just got an email regarding this and thought I'd pass it along. Another example of what happens when people can ruin a good thing.

By: John Slykhuis, Staff Writer

The free ride for out-of-town daytrippers is over.

Georgina politicians voted last week to slap parking restrictions and a $30 parking fee for visitors using the park at the Jackson's Point Harbour and the area around the government dock at the end of Malone Road.

The area around the park, harbour and Bonnie Boats in the summer is "what best can be described as total chaos", leisure services director John McLean said in a report.

The parking mess has led to concerns about the ability of fire and emergency services to access the end of the road at the lake.

With the recent purchase of Bonnie Boats by Patrick Burrows and Scot Davidson, the town was able to negotiate an agreement to manage the area and designate parking spaces.

There will be a total of 63 parking spaces, 10 for Bonnie Boats customers, that will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. Day passes for visitors will be issued by harbour staff and town bylaw enforcement officers will hand out parking tickets for infractions.

If you are a Georgina resident, you can continue to use the park for free, as is the case with all other town-owned beaches, such as De La Salle Park, Willow Beach, Holme's Point and North Gwillimbury Park.

Malone Road will be posted as permit parking only for residents living there. Parking revenues will be shared 70/30 between the town and Bonnie Boats.

Mr. McLean acknowledged the restrictions will result in some illegal parking in the area.

He predicted there "may be an outcry" from out-of-towners who have been enjoying the last free access to Lake Simcoe in Georgina.

"The park continues to be a destination park for non-residents who do not pay anything for parking, who do not spend any money in the Georgina and who merely come up from the southern reaches of York Region or Toronto and take parking spaces," Mr. McLean said.

After enjoying free use of the park, they leave their garbage behind, he said. "These are not the kind of day tourists the town is interested in encouraging.

"The long-term goal we should have in mind is to turn these kinds of daytrippers into viable tourists."

Day visitors, will instead, be directed to nearby Sibbald Point Provincial Park, is under-utilized by daytrippers, Mr. McLean said.

Admission to the park is $16 per day, compared to the town's $30 fee and it is better equipped to handle a large influx of daytrippers, Mr. McLean said.

The park has the town's largest beach area.

Excuse me for being a bit thick but... I launched at Bonnie Boats on Wednesday and paid $10 (including parking the truck and trailer while out on the lake). Is it now going to cost me $10 plus $30 to park or $30 to park and launch or no change ($10 still)?

Certainly will restrict my trips if the worst case scenario plays out. :angry:

Couldn't wait for an answer so called Bonnie Boats. I was told that as a non-resident the fee to launch and park would be an astounding $40!!! However this new fee won't be implemented until "sometime" next week. I could opt to buy a season pass that is "currently" available for $100. Unreal!

Excuse me for being a bit thick but... I launched at Bonnie Boats on Wednesday and paid $10 (including parking the truck and trailer while out on the lake). Is it now going to cost me $10 plus $30 to park or $30 to park and launch or no change ($10 still)?

Certainly will restrict my trips if the worst case scenario plays out. :angry:

My Dad had called Bonnie Boats to confirm the article and it will take effect in about 10 days. As far as I know its $30 for parking and $10 to launch. But this has not been confirmed yet. A couple of years ago it was only $5 to launch and park. Last year went to $10 and you got a notice to pay and they took down your plate number. (If you hadn't already done so.) A lot of people were taking off without paying so this was put into place. :angry:

I was fine with that as the launch was open before they opened for business, no inconvenience to me, could still get out fishing and square up once back on shore. But now with this possible $40, $30 minimum, I guess I'll be fighting for a spot at the provincial park when I head up that way. I don't feel like doubling my cost to go fishing. I wonder if this will be in effect for the ice fishing season as well? :dunno:

I see you have confirmed this BBOG. Thanks for the memories Bonnie Boats, GOOD-BYE!

Edited by fishnsled

Well not to worry. Head over to,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Nesbitt's Marina

1203 Gilford Rd

Lefroy ON, L0L 1W0

Phone: 705-456-6212

(west side)15 to launch and you got good parking. Private own.

All I have to say about yer post,MONEY SUCK,N GRAB,N dude,s.

THAT IS TOTAL BULL poop.

Man what is going on with these LITTLE HEAD people.Guess the local resturants and bars gas stations and bait dealers, dont want thier money,because you DONT GOT ANYTHING LEFT TO SPEND THERE.

BRAIN DEAD MF,ers.

Edited by misfish

Unbelievable. ....$40!! I forwarded this to Whitby councillors-of course they won't bother but Georgina residents with stickers on windshields should be charged $40 when using our launch/parking to get on Lake O. Maybe if Georgina residents are treated in a similar fashion when using other municipalities facilities they will bring this up to their council. Love to see their mayors face if charged $40 to see his kid play hockey at another OMHA centres arena....Georgina businesses will never see another penny from me, I'll take the kids to Sibbald PP but not drop a cent.

"The park continues to be a destination park for non-residents who do not pay anything for parking, who do not spend any money in the Georgina and who merely come up from the southern reaches of York Region or Toronto and take parking spaces," Mr. McLean said.

I've been there a half dozen times this year. In fact, I'm going again on Sunday. Mr McLean can kiss my @ss if he thinks I don't spend money there. I always wait to fuel up my boat and truck when I get there. Usually there is a trip to Smokey's Bait, Tim Hortons and of course lunch/dinner afterwards. If this is what they think of us "out-of-towners" then I'm boycotting their services. Just a drop in the bucket I know, but if that's how they feel they won't get my money. I guess I'll have to find somewhere else to launch.

I just emailed each member of the Georgina Council and stated how as a frequent visitor and supporter of local businesses I am upset with their decision and especially with the comments of Liesure Services Director John McLean. It won't do much, but it sure made me feel better. I recommend that anyone who uses these facilities do the same. Yo can get their email addresses from the town of Georgina website.

Edited by boatman

A very sad precedent when we start charging fellow Ontarians money for using their parks. Should we then charge all of Georgina's residents $30 to look at Niagara Falls?

A poor solution to an overcrowding issue and one that is sadly lacking in progressive leadership by the town council. Too bad the residents are stuck with such short-sided politicians as this is surely an indicator of their overall governing abilities.

Rather than charge $30 for out of towners and free for locals, make it $5.00 for everyone. It will still control the area and allow revenue to compensate enforcement.

Any bets that there isn't a single fisherman on the Georgina Council ?

I wonder what it must be like to screw people over just because you have no interest in something they enjoy doing. How do some people sleep at night ? Oh ya... Sorry....we're talking politicians here.

You have to have a brain in order to have a conscience.

Hookset

Guest lundboy

Yep this sucks... but the precedence has already been set...

Orillia: Charges $15 for launch at the Port of Orillia Park to Non-Residents, used to be free

Toronto: Charges $2:00 extra for Non-Residents on top of entrance fees for attractions

It's a new method for the municipality politicians to suck money out of the people that don't vote them in, and they make their own voters feel special.

Since the McGuinty Government has now given the municipalities the authority to "create local taxes" just watch what happens. Miller in Toronto is already scheming new ways to rape everyone in the 905 such as a $20 "congestion tax" for entering the city limits for outsiders. This sort of thing is happening on a global scale (London, England for example). This is just the beginning and I'm afraid we haven't seen anything yet.

Ya, I think Wasaga should put up toll roads to screw all the bums that make a mess of the May 24 weekend. At least that would pay for the clean up. And then they should put up one way turnstiles on the 400/401 and keep all the riff raff in Toronto... How about an IQ test for prospective mayors/counsellors/lackies/etc. Maybe an IQ test for voters, they seem to vote in all the idiots of society to positions of authority. :rolleyes:

Rumour is the new owners of Bonnie Boats pushed this thru, and were all thinking it would hurt their business. They suposedly get $10 of the parking fee and $25 of every illegal parking ticket?????.....that can't be true-sounds ridiculous that a private company would get money from parking fines. I can't see it but my buddies insist its true-can anyone verify that?

such a great idea for getting more business isnt it :rolleyes:

i just got a boat a couple months ago but i already know where i wont be going. its about 1.5 hours to get to lake simcoe from my house. towing the boat it will likely be $20 gas to get there, $40 to park and launch, $10 for bait. $70 before i even hit the water? ya thats really gonna happen...

ill bet theres gonna be alot of ticked off fisherman that have no clue about this until they show up at bonnie boats...

I am confused does the Town of Georgina pay for solely for the all the services in their town which includes the services to keep Lake Simcoe waters clean and accessible ; police services; road maintenance and the maintenance of the government dock or the regional taxes cover that. If regional taxes covers that would I be doubled taxed if I have to pay for the prviledge of using what I have already paid for? CONFUSED

Ever since Bonnie Boats made their docks off limits to shore anglers, I could see this coming. I suspect that what spurred such drastic action may have been the small minority of people who crowded the docks, urinated from them, hammered rod holders into them, left cigarette butts burning on them or squashed their burning butts out on the wood, leaving burn marks everywhere, left garbage all over the place, and damaged boats that were moored there! Plus the small parking area over at the pier was littered with garbage & often broken glass, people arrived to fish on Saturday & Sunday morning, before daylight, slamming down tailgates, and doors, shouting, and blaring loud music. I suspect the local councillors have been getting an earful from their constituents for several years, which brought about the first move of banning fishing from the docks. When this didn't work, then they likely did what their constituents demanded, and took even more harsh action. Lets face it, WE, the outsiders do not vote these guys in, or out, the local people do, so, if they piss ALL of us outsiders off, they don't care . . . . they'll surely get voted back in by those who DEMANDED they 'DO SOMETHING!' That is, unless the local businesses start to feel the pinch, and bring their own delegations to council meetings! Like somebody said . . . . . pretty soon Lakes Simcoe & Couchiching will be, for all intents & purposes, PRIVATE . . . . . or at least not affordible to those of us who cannot afford to pay $30.00 to park LEGALLY, or up to $60.00 to park illegally!

Well, I will not lauch from there and it is only a few more minutes to Sibbald Point Prov. Park which

only costs $11.00 to park and launch for the day. A few miles more up at Virginia beach, you can

park and launch for $15.00.

Good luck to the folks at Bonnie Boats as I thinking of using their lauch to go out whitefishing. I will be

going elsewhere now.

Bill

Edited by wmshaw

Just thought I'd had one more rumour I heard about Bonnie Boats. I've heard from a couple different resources that the plan for the new owners is to put up condos where the marina is now. Remind you of different location? (Tip of the Bay Motel). Just a rumour but to have heard it from a couple of different people. If this is true, you have to wonder if they are really concerned about losing our money. :dunno: