Drinking and driving

Big Cliff

What punishment would a first time offender receive if they're driving drunk and injure someone? What about if someone is killed?

On average, are drunks typically let off too easy or are the courts hard on drunks?

im no cop but from the incidents around here its seems to fluctuate wildly.

one young man get a dui and gets a heavy fine and 30 days in jail. lost his license for 3 years I think

another older man with like 7 dui's get another, swings at two officers spends the weekend in jail and a two year license ban.

one other guy gets one dui and serves 7 months weekends in jail with a $5000 doller fine and needs that breathalizer machine to drive again

Yah.. I can say I do Joey. My dad ripped me one morning for finding a beer between the seats of the 'Bee when I was 18.. and I ended the conversation with "who parked your car, at least mines straight!".

You get that cab returned yet Cliff?

Edited by irishfield

My bud was driving to his cottage in Dunsford and a car came around a bend on hwy 35 at an estimated 80 MPH on the wrong side of the road and hit my friend head-on. John was decapitated and died instantly and the other car flipped upside down in a ditch and exploded and 4 men burned to death. Autopsies showed the 4 were all stoned drunk.

My bud was father to 4 kids and didn't drink.

There's nothing good comes from drinking and driving.

If this post offended anyone it wasn't intended to make a joke out of drunk driving or to treat it lightly. I have over the years called in several impared drivers and will do the same as often as I see it.

If someone has a problem with your post, they have more seerious problems that this forum can heal.

My understanding is that the crown has the option to proceed summarily, or by indictment. A summary procedure would carry a max sentence of two years less a day and is held in a lower level court, while proceeding by indictment will result in an exposure to the maximum sentence allowed by law and is held in superior court. Similar to felony vs misdemeanor in the US.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by HTHM

Thanks Lew, and anyone else that have had friends or family killed by a drunk driver. None of you came across in the wrong way but reading some of your posts reminded me what the real cost is!

I am guilty of driving drunk; when I was a teen we always had a six pack (or more) on the seat beside us. We drank and drove all the time and no one ever seemed to get hurt. Maybe the cars were better built, maybe there were just less cars on the road, might be they just didn't go as fast, I'm not sure what the answer is. (I do remember sitting drinking with a couple of the cops when I lived in French River and we all drove home and made it)

Quite frankly I think that anyone who causes injury or the death of someone while DUI should be charged with attempted murder or murder but this is not that kind of world.

Anyway, it is far better to steal a cab than to drive drunk, just don't combine them! :whistling: