Polaris Indy Sled

Dan668

Get a watercooled engine, the 550 fans (I've got a '02 Indy Trail Touring) are notorious for over heating and blowing top ends (Like mine :) ).. Now that being said if all you're doing is putting around Simcoe (Which is pretty much all I do) it will be just fine. When I blew my top end I was in probably a foot of slush with 2ft of powder with me and my dad on the sled towing our shelter. And it blew after about 7 miles of WOT in those conditions, lol! (Only the right side cylinder).

It's been fine every since I replaced the top end. And if the conditions are that bad, I stay home.

Edited by BillM

Watching Lloyd and Terry constantly hunting for fluffy snow or something to dust into their cooling intakes while on the lake... I'll take my fan cooled 500 every day of the week!

These work for me.

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/pna/detail.php?sectionId=AC&groupId=19&subGroupId=34&categoryId=105&itemId=2253&unitId=2174&unitName=2008%2BRS%2BVenture%2BGT&unitGroup=SM&unitYear=2008&items_per_page=12&page=7

SMA-ICESC-01-ST.jpg

Check compression triples like to melt down centre cylinder.

Odd chaincase failure and are prone to voltage regulator failures.

check regular sled stuff belt track wheels slu ders and suspension ect

If using it for ice fishing mostly regardless of brand suggest a 50/50 coolant mix with water wetter and ice scratchers for the low snow days

The 440 and 500 indy engines are 2 of the most reliable snowmachine engines ever built. They will go forever with little maintenance and they are very light sleds. The 550's are great as well, so long as they're not in the Edge chassis (02' to '06 i believe). The liquid 600's are awesome motors, but an older 440 or 500 will be way lighter and much more manageable for ice fishing

Get a twin liquid. They are bulletproof. If the 600 and 700 versions. My coolant hose let go off Jackson's point on simcoe it was cold ,getting late and I was by my self.I held it to the bar and I made it to innisfil before I blew er up :). 2 new pistons and a 12 pack of Canadianand a few hours in the garage and I was good to go. Look 98-2001. I prefer the non ves . Should be arround 2 k for a good one. Avoid triples at all cost unless you like to go really fast and enjoy wrenching. On that note any one got a xlt they want to get rid of ?....... After looking around on the web I'm not sure there are many twin liquid touring ( 2up ) sleds out there.

Edited by Freshtrax

I have the Indy 500 hundred touring 2 up air cooled it is a 1999 purchased it new did a lot of trail riding for the first 4 years after that strictly used for ice fishing it is a great sled that requires very little maintenance it has never let me down.

I picked up a liquid cooled Polaris Indy classic 500 touring. I wanted a fan , but the deal came through family and it was too good to pass on, but I have an ATV for conditions that could beat the sled so I suppose that will do!!

Edited by porkpie