So what's the deal with Inline Ice Reels?

Sharkbait22

I use one barrel swivel about 16" up while ice fishing. straight 8lb fluoro.

works for me very well.

Id like to try these reels though. no reason not to try

I generally only fish as deep as 30 fow though so maybe there is a difference there.

on the river its a 3/8oz jig or drop shotting or you will get insane line twist from the current alone

I have always had a swivel about 16 inches up my line. A jigging rap dropped down to 25 feet will spin for maybe 10 seconds tops before it settles down the way I rig. Never had any problems but I don't fish deep either. For perch/bluegills I actually think the swivel is an added attractant. Fishing shallow and looking down the hole I couldn't tell you the number of times I will have 3 or 4 bigger perch all eyeballing and even hitting my swivel, especially on those tough days when they are not aggressive.

I would still like to give the inlines a try though...but I have not seen any in my area that are made for lefties?

Edited by crappieperchhunter

Well some said just keep adding swivels to stop line twist. Most do not like a swivel above their float and up to 5 swivels. And I think most agreed it was simpler just to learn how to cast it right But keep trying.

Wasn't the whole premise of line twist while ice fishing being detrimental to the action of the lure? ie the jig spinning by itself. Steelhead don't care if you have line twist, and no one will ever convince me that the Wallis cast is worth the effort, lol. Now if there's a correlation between casting style and fish on the bank, I'm all ears.

If fishing very light and tiny jigs for panfish, then I believe that an inline reel does reduce jig spin.in clear water it appears to me that most fish prefer a non spinning jig. Of course if u quiver your hig it will hold it's positions too. I fish both types of reels and the inline wins for light stuff but it is best in 20' or less.

now I need an inline ice reel, next they will say I need a specific inline reel for every type and weight of bait I use and each species I target

they are selling stuff, that's what they care about, selling stuff

Edited by chris.brock

Just a new toy to play with. I'm under no illusion that I will actually catch more perch. I'm hoping the bigger reel will also eliminate some of the icing up problems I get with some of my small ice fishing reels. On a side note a reel failed on me at the cottage this spring so I went to Lindsay and bought the cheapest Lew's spinning reel they had to get me through my weeks vacation up there. It has become a new favourite. I'm looking forward to how it performs in the cold. Very impressed with it so far. My next reel purchase will probably be another Lew's spinning reel, but I'll upgrade to one of there more expensive models.