Bizarre prop loss

muskymatt

Me any my buddy hit the Ottawa yesterday for some muskie action and had a rather unfortunate thing happen. We were making a run back to a troll from about 10km down the river and were running about 40mph when suddenly the boat lost forward propulsion and the rpm's shot up. I immediately slipped it into neutral and let the boat come to rest. Tried forward, and nothing, tried reverse and same thing. So I shut it down and trimmed up and saw this.

1416070144997.jpg

Shocked, and a little pissed to see a stainless prop gone I thought maybe we hit something. Only problem was we were in 130 fow. We finished the day on the trolling motor and got diddly squat for muskies.

Back at the launch I took a closer look and cotter pin, nut and hub all in place, albeit with major slippage, but no prop.

Weird!!

1416086989661.jpg

Expensive day LOL :wallbash:

Only good thing is I have a newly rebuilt stainless in the shop ready to go on!

I think it would have flown off right away when it failed, even before going into reverse

hopefully you have the receipt for the prop and can give them a call

bizarre for sure

It seemed to have flown off at 40 mph, can't confirm that but it went from go to no go in a flash. I suppose it could have flown off when I engaged reverse but I'll never know. No warranty no go back, just a loss!

I suspect that prop was gone before he put it in reverse. As soon as the hub failed that badly the prop had no forward thrust to hold it in place and not enough friction to keep it on the shaft, the forward motion of the boat would have created reverse pressure on the prop pushing it right off the hub. I guess we'll really never know.

Glad you at least had a trolling motor so you could get back home ok. This isn't a good time of the year to be stuck out on the water.