Snowshoes

Burtess

I bought these from Lebaron (Made by Faber - model: North Cliff)

IMG_2952_zps28427a32.jpg

They're primarily designed for mountain snowshoeing however they worked fantastic this past winter on Simcoe (and my front yard.LOL). There are a bunch more options that are probably better designed for the task. It came down to the fact that they're the only pair I could find that were lightweight and came in a size for a person my size. This past season I was able to run 2.5km back to the car in no time at all, pulling a sled, with a bunch of snow on the ground. So much traction! :D

Edited by MJL

I suggest a pair w/o crampons. They are good for climbing hills, which you don't need, but in some snow conds a big icy lump will form underneath which makes it difficult to walk. As I recall, Fabers don't have crampons.

My pair of Fabers have large metal teeth at the bottom. I guess they're like crampons

I weigh about 165 lbs without gear.

Predominant use will be for ice fishing so flat terrain with possible deeper fresh snow, breaking new trail, and slush conditions (no stick to shoe).

So far I am looking at the following models:

https://www.fabersnowshoes.com/snowshoes/hybride/winter-guide

https://www.fabersnowshoes.com/snowshoes/hybride/winter-rover

http://www.gvsnowshoes.com/en/snowshoes/file/wide-trail/22

Joeytier, what Faber's do you have?

Thanks, Burt :)

IMO you don't need the most technical, expensive model for ice fishing.(steep, technical terrain or thickly wooded areas are different) Just something to keep you afloat on deeper snow in the open. I use mine on Simcoe occasionally and for rabbit hunting all winter long and would stick with auminum frame/polymer decks for ease of maintenance. I don't like using mine in slush though, I think they make walking more difficult as they generate a lot of ice build-up and end up weighing twice as much. I'd look for a model with a simple buckle system, hopefully one that is not affected by snow/ice build-up. Nothing worse than dealing with a finicky system when your hands are numb and freezing. I move around a lot so end up taking them on/off multiple times per day. Also, if you weigh 165 with no gear, get a pair rated for at least 180-200lbs(which will be your actual weight once you are all geared up) One last thing, if your hands are free a pair of ski poles helps a lot.

I have been using MSR Revo for the last 3 years and love them. For all conditions. If there is deep snow, I add the extendable paddles to make them float me more.

Ice fishing they are great. Very light, and extremely durable. But I also run in them, and go on backcountry trek in waste deep snow. they hold up great.

So I picked up some snowshoes today from LeBaron. By far the best pricing on the Faber brand of shoes (and way better than the Faber website).

Since I am billing them to work under our yearly fitness allowance I decided to get the highest technical shoes Faber makes. My youngest wants to try snowshoeing as well through the forest so I thought I had better get something with some grip to it too.

Mountain Master:

snowshoes_zps533b5797.jpg~original

Will see how they perform..... BRING ON THE ICE AND SNOW!!!!!

Burt :)

Edited by Burtess

• 2 months later...

So I have been able to put the Faber's to the test both for ice fishing and for trekking around the woods lately.

In general, these snowshoes are very easy to get used to and no face plants yet! I have used them up on Nipissing in ~2ft of snow, hauling out my gear on a Smitty Sled on Simcoe with 5" -12" of snow in drifts, and locally this week with my youngest daughter (got her some MSR Shift's) through the Dundas Valley. Gives very good grip when pulling the sled, even on thin snow. Great for the forest walks, tried out the heel lifts and can really ascend some steep inclines in 12-15" of soft snow without loosing traction. The kid likes it because it is more interesting than just "walking around". Compared to the MSR Shift (a small version of the Evo) which are moulded plastic the Mountain Master are quieter when walking on trails.

The buckle system on the Mountain Master is a ratchet style, with two over the front of the boot, and one around the back. You ratchet them to tighten and squeeze the ratchet to loosen. I can put them on and take them off without removing my heavy mitts, this is a big plus!

In retrospect, I could have gone with the larger 10X36" as they don't seem so large anymore after finding out how easy it is to get around with these ones. In soft fresh snow I will sink about 6" in 12-15", so this is fine with me.

Burt :)

Edited by Burtess

Check out TSC. Aluminum frame Chinese made stuff but have been working well for me so far this year. I took the approach that it was like buying a tent.....2 man for 1 person, 3 man for 2 people, etc. So I went with the 250lb rating, 34" even though I'm about 180lbs. I bought them at 50% off, you can't beat the price.

I can't seem to be able to 'paste' the link but search "snowshoes".