Quality ragg wool gloves?

bare foot wader

my old gloves finally fell apart a couple years ago, seems like I had them at least 10 years, no clue who made them and everything I've found in stores is no where near the same quality...I do have some other good gloves, but I want another good pair of ragg wool flip overs, looking at ordering the orvis gloves

http://www.orvis.com/p/ultra-ragg-fingerless-mittens/8t92

any other options?

the orvis are pricey, especially after shipping and duty, holding out so far

my old gloves were seriously thick knitted wool, were fairly water resistant and blocked the wind

the magnet on the orvis is an interesting feature, don't use whip out a compass too often fishing, but definitely something to keep in mind

I have seal skinz and kast gloves that I wear with liners, fleece flip overs (not the simms model though), crappy wool fingerless gloves...my old wool flip overs were the best for cold weather, gonna be hard to replace, no clue where I bought them though

the fox river double wool mitts look pretty good and cheaper

http://www.foxsox.com/catalog/product.aspx?type=subcategory&sortorder=stylenumber&code=GLOMT&selectedstyle=9366

You boys need to take up knitting. Ya cant beat the real deal with wool right off the sheep ;)

S.

I had a pair of 7 virgin wool mitts from down home. They could be frozen from wetness. I put my hands in them and in no time,my hands were warm.

I had a pair of 7 virgin wool mitts from down home. They could be frozen from wetness. I put my hands in them and in no time,my hands were warm.

it must have taken a while to find that many in one place?

Edited by spincast

So that's what you call the sheep down home..wool mitts, what were their names. Fluffy, Wooly, Fuzzy, Itchy, ....

Were yu wearing pants with velcro kneepads.. :rofl2:

Back in the 80's the mom of one of my steelheading friends was for a fee making/knitting the best glove that I have used. FWIW those gloves had only the thumb and first 2 fingers were half fingered, the ring and little finger were left full. I had no problem with the design using a float reel and spinning gear during cold weather. The wool was of the best quality of course, unfortunately have not seen the friend in many years and I'm sure the mom has passed.

Back in those days I wore the old canvas Columbia Steelheader vest with the wool lined handwarmer pockets at breast height, those gloves and a couple of handwarmers would fish the Niagara all winter.

Edited by dave524