Trashing Canada

Gerritt

Litter is a hot debated topic here and despised by most outdoorsmen. The CBC has filmed a spot for The National concerning it. Just thought I would passed it along.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/topstories/illegal-dumping-why-do-so-many-canadians-trash-canada-1.2795046

G

Thank's to the CBC for that article. Hoping it starts a great discussion.
As for the trash:
The same here - trash in the bush all over the place.
Very often we have to clean fishing spots. Small lakes stocked with brookies we picked up garbage that fills 2 big garbage bags. Other stocked lakes you can find old windows, doors, mattresses, beer cans, plastic.. And Tim Hortens cups for shure everywhere...

Its also ridiculous that the government doesn't allow low risk inmates to go out and pick up trash. I guess keeping them institutionalized and not working does better for them and society.

Take a look at the the ditch the next time you drive down the 401, it looks like a landfill.

Another thing that grinds my gears is even having to bring xl garbage bags with me when I venture the shores fishing with my kids. Should not be needed at all. Our snack bags and empty water bottles go back in our tackle bags. Funny thing. Here, there are little to none out on the shorelines fishing. Its all from boats throwing their garbage in the river. Then the water drops and current focus it up on shore in certain points/shallows etc. Almost everytime we go out we leave with tackle bags, sometimes fish if we plan a meal, and at least one xl garbage bag. Sad really. And probably 80% of that garbage is beer bottles, whisky bottles and beer cans. Nice and classy

I know this isn't dumping in the woods; but it's bad here in town as well. People see a business's dumpster and they think it's a free for all to put their crap in it or more times then none all around it.

I got so fed up with these people leaving all this junk here; I started opening up the garbage bags (gross) and looking for addresses. People that do this cannot be all that smart; because there is almost always an address or a phone number to be found in this garbage. I would call the people and ask when I could deliver a package that was dropped off here accidentally or asked if they'd like to pick it up?

More times then none they'd be here within a half hour to collect their package; I loved the look on their face when they saw what the package was. LOL

Dan.

I got so fed up with these people leaving all this junk here; I started opening up the garbage bags (gross) and looking for addresses. People that do this cannot be all that smart; because there is almost always an address or a phone number to be found in this garbage. I would call the people and ask when I could deliver a package that was dropped off here accidentally or asked if they'd like to pick it up?

More times then none they'd be here within a half hour to collect their package; I loved the look on their face when they saw what the package was. LOL

Dan.

That's brilliant!!!

I'm gonna break out the latex gloves and try that some time!

personally, the biggest, most disgusting example of garbage is the condition of lake near the end of ice fishing season.

the amount of garbage left on the ice by ice fisherman is worse than anything I've ever come across...whether that be shorelines, camp sites, etc.