Who do you believe, weather predictions NF

Old Ironmaker

We have been waiting to get out on Erie for some fall deep water smallies. Of course this AM is the first day there haven't been Kookamunga surfs up breakers, calm water and beautiful sun and warm and we all have appointments booked. I say to Featherstone Ted come hell or high water Monday or Tuesday looks good based on Bing weather. Monday calling for high winds of 17K and 16C, Tuesday 15KPH winds and 20C!!!! He calls me after dinner and asks what crazy reports am I getting and sure enough windfinder.com is calling for 60 to 72 KPH winds both days. I know the weather is what it is but jeeze talk about a difference! We have the advantage of looking out the window and looking at the lake here. But what about guys that drive out more than an hour to find a hurricaine? Gas ain't cheap!!

Who do you believe? What weather predictions service do you prefer? We are running out of soft water days.

A difference of 60KPH is ridiculous, no?

I hear yah... I rarely depend on the weatherman any more, as all the sites have for the most part different predictions. I like you, can have a look at the water before heading out, the brighton launch is 500' from my front door. but that's not to say conditions are not different out on the main lake. If they are we stick to the bay, or launch outta wellers ect.

10 minutes in either direction can bring very different water conditions, depending on the water being fished.

Welcome to quinte.

G

I used to use the weather network exclusively but it only seems to be accurate 10 minutes out.

Because of RJ (Rob Jackson of RJ & Birdee's outdoor adventures who I think is a member here), I now use the accuweather app. It is 20 times more accurate than weather eye.

Weathermen are the only people who are paid to be wrong 90% of the time. They are never 100% right soto find anything that is close, is good.

I use a rock.

Same here.....its never let me down!

Instructions for Newfie weather rock:

Tie rock to a string and put Newfie weather rock outside

If the rock is wet, it's raining.

If the rock is swinging, the wind is blowing.

If the rock casts a shadow, the sun is shining.

If the rock does not cast a shadow and is not wet, the sky is cloudy.

If the rock is not visible, it is foggy.

If the rock is white, it is snowing.

If the rock is coated with ice, there is a frost.

If the ice is thick, it's a heavy frost.

If the rock is bouncing, there is an earthquake.

If the rock is under water, there is a flood.

If the rock is warm, it is sunny.

If the rock is missing, there was a tornado.

If the rock is wet and swinging violently, there is a hurricane.

I have found for fishing at Port Bruce that the winds on this sight are usually closest to the actual conditions.

http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi?Submit=Go&sta=KHZY&state=OH

I have been at Port Bruce and looked on the we guess theweathernetwork,ca for Port Burwell and seen it be off by 20kph lots of times. The buoy data from environment Canada is usually OK for right then but lots of times the sites forecast is wrong...

I like the Ports that have cams but they are few and far between, and usually don't work for more than a year before they crap out...

Terry it was windfinder.com and Sailflow.com that predicted up to 72KPH winds for today and yesterday. Never happened here thankfully but I planned for golf and not fishing, I would always prefer fishing any day because I know I won't loose money playing a 5 dollar Nassau fishing. The Weather Network and Bing was bang on at 15K or less, here at least. I figured with a 70K wind I might hit my driver like the old days!

Regardless what 2 beautiful days these have been no matter what you plan.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all.