Suggestions for a kicker motor needed.

BillsTheBassMan

Hello OFC,

I got to know my first owned boat a lot better this week and have decided I want a kicker motor for trolling and insurance if the main engine has problems.

My main engine was overheating a little as we rarely needed to travel a lot before starting to troll or find/work structure.

Some good to knows:

1) 16ft5" aluminum side console boat.

2) Usually has 2x 250lb guys fishing in it.

3) Main engine is a 50hp 2 stroke.

4) Will be primarily used for fishing Musky in non-kawarthas bodies of water.

Also, when are long shaft motors more applicable than short shaft?

Looking for suggestions on HP. I will likely unmount it after every use.

Edit: currently looking at a 88 7.5hp 4 stroke Honda long Shaft or a 95 9.9hp 2 stroke Merc long shaft. Merc is $250 more.

Thanks as always.

Ryan

Edited by BillsTheBassMan

if you want to use it to troll at muskie speeds get the 9.9. otherwise i think the 7.5 will suffice for slow(er) trolling and as a backup

Is there a big difference in what I'll get for trolling speed between the 2 motors? I would hope that the 7.5 would hit 5kph to 7kph no problem.

Is there a big difference in what I'll get for trolling speed between the 2 motors? I would hope that the 7.5 would hit 5kph to 7kph no problem.

i dont know how wide and heavy your rig is but i would think the 7.5 will do 4-5 mph on your boat it's just that it would have work that much harder (ie. more throttle). a 9.9 would be ideal imo. the difference is 25% power afterall.

I run a Honda 7.5 on a 19.5 sea nymph I can get 5.6

Last year I had a Honda 8 it would do about 6

Both are short shaft

I would take the Honda over the mer for a trolling motor .

I don't think you will notice that much of a difference in the two and not smelling the smoke of the two stroke will be nice.

I believe the Honda was the 8 hp in that year range. I think they made the 7.5 and the 100 in 88. In the 90`s they went to the 8 hp and 9.9hp

One bad thing about the Honda not to sure how hard it is to find parts for them ? Might be something to look into first

Edited by strik

Fuel economy...

Fumes...

Less noise...

Was gunna say no mixing oil but your already doing that on your main....

If it's for musky and emergencies then it's not a big deal.... But if you can see yourself using it for more spooky fish like walleye and trout... Then is say 4 stroke...

Isn't 9.9 overkill for a boat like that? I have a similar size boat; and my 2.5 hp will push it around. I would think that a 4 or 6hp would be sufficient.

Getting a proper kicker motor that is geared and proped for a larger boat helps too.

Hey John. Yeah, I am starting to think the same and am leaning towards the Honda at this point. I think 7.5 will be plenty. Thanks for the input.

I have a similar boat, but a tiller, and I"ll tell ya, with a 9.9 on the back, she would move along just fine. A 5hp is more than enough for my rig.

I'm sure this rig is a bit heavier, but really its the same kind of hull, same size, just has a console.

My buddy has a 9.9 on his full console 16ft princecraft and it is more than enough.

I'd say 7.5 is plenty.

I'd also go 4 stroke if you can, but the 2 strokers never quit!

S.

I have a similar boat, but a tiller, and I"ll tell ya, with a 9.9 on the back, she would move along just fine. A 5hp is more than enough for my rig.

I'm sure this rig is a bit heavier, but really its the same kind of hull, same size, just has a console.

My buddy has a 9.9 on his full console 16ft princecraft and it is more than enough.

I'd say 7.5 is plenty.

I'd also go 4 stroke if you can, but the 2 strokers never quit!

S.

Thanks for all the input Sinker. I'll save the $250 and get the 7.5

Go with the honda 7.5 long shaft perfect and lots of motor for your boat !!! Long shaft for sure as if you are on rough water it won't cavitate or come out of the water while running get a small 2-3gallon tank for it and it will run for hours and hours !!! They are very tough little motor and with reg Maintenence will run forever !!!! My freind has a honda 8hp on a 19ft boat and it does awesome you can get a prop for it as well and will really have the tourque to push !!!! Good choice for sure

Go with the honda 7.5 long shaft perfect and lots of motor for your boat !!! Long shaft for sure as if you are on rough water it won't cavitate or come out of the water while running get a small 2-3gallon tank for it and it will run for hours and hours !!! They are very tough little motor and with reg Maintenence will run forever !!!! My freind has a honda 8hp on a 19ft boat and it does awesome you can get a prop for it as well and will really have the tourque to push !!!! Good choice for sure

I purchased the honda yesterday for $400 and he included a bunch of add ons so I think I did pretty well. I really appreciate everyone's input. You folks are always more than reliable.

What type of cable do I need to attach it to the main motor so that I can steer from the console?

Thanks again

Ryan

I have one of these as well.cheap, easy to install, and is on it's 3rd season with no signs of wear. Picked mine up locally at West Marine. Just follow the instructions and remember to remove it when not in use. Should only be hooked up when trolling, not when running down the lake.