Dipsy Divers for the first time.

davey buoy

Why is it every time I use the shift key I get an e with the French highlight show up like this one ÉÉÉ. Itès something to do with the blue items on the keysÉÉÉ. Oh man.

Your keyboard is set to French. Switch to US English

All I have to say Dave is,,,,,,,,,,,,

If there,s a bunch of boats out there,stay far far away from them.

But I dont think I need to tell ya that. Some will cross 50 ft behind ya and not give a thought about getting caught up on ya.

Look forward to reading how you make out.

Good luck.

Edited by Misfish

ÉÉÉÉééééééééééÉÉÉéé////////?????????""""'''''':::::????"' '''', whoor raaah!!

All fixed, you guys are the best. It was the shift control key that fixed it. and you were right Walleye72, it took a few tries. Thank you to the folks that PM'd me and Roy as well for helping. Again, you are the best.

Johnny D

As far as the Dipsy's go there is also a screw on the underside that puts tension on the setting wheel. One was too loose and it wouldn't hold the setting where I wanted it. Time for me to try those mini planner boards maybe, I haven't had the best of luck with Dipsy Divers but they do work for a few bucks as long as a Bass doesn't make a mess of things. Should be fine for Lakers where you are heading.

i kind of feel like the dipsy works as a bit of a flasher on its own. As you can see in that diagram i posted the first time, they dont recommend running the flasher with the spoon.

However on lure such as Flies, the flasher is a must have as this is what will give your fly some twirling action.

i kind of feel like the dipsy works as a bit of a flasher on its own. As you can see in that diagram i posted the first time, they dont recommend running the flasher with the spoon.

However on lure such as Flies, the flasher is a must have as this is what will give your fly some twirling action.

Got it,makes sense,thanks .

Keep the length from dipsey to lure the length of your rod. Any longer and you will have a real hard time netting fish.

With a 0 dipsey on setting 0 I can hit bottom in 65fow. I cant remember how much line I had out....over 200ft, on 50lb braid.

On #3 setting, out 220ft I touch bottom in 50ft.

S.

Keep the length from dipsey to lure the length of your rod. Any longer and you will have a real hard time netting fish.

With a 0 dipsey on setting 0 I can hit bottom in 65fow. I cant remember how much line I had out....over 200ft, on 50lb braid.

On #3 setting, out 220ft I touch bottom in 50ft.

S.

Good to know Shane,that is little heavier braid than I am using though.Two buddies with #1's will work the outsides,The "0" I want to use down the middle,apparently that is the position where they go down the most.Alot of experimenting to happen for sure .

Thanks.

At a certain point, letting more line out will actually bring the dipsy up. Keep that in mind.

I dont think you'll get them down much deeper than 60-70ft max.

The real advantage is they take your rig out to the side, away from the boat. Ive caught lots of salmon on a dipsy on 0 straight down the chute though!

S.

Edited by Sinker

Davey... that's about what I tend to do as well.

Also, mainline to dipsy I started tying a 12-inch 150lb floro muskie leader between the two. One time in the first years of using a dipsy I went to pop the release and somehow the 50lb braid got cut off by the dipsy. Never happened again with the leader, and doesn't seem affect fish catching.

I was told they were cheap insurance as far as not losing your lure so easy after a attack from a 30lb plus fish.Just adds that shock absorber feel.

No stretch in my main line braid,and 15lb Fluro leader I will be using doesn't seem to stretch all that much either.

I was told they were cheap insurance as far as not losing your lure so easy after a attack from a 30lb plus fish.Just adds that shock absorber feel.

No stretch in my main line braid,and 15lb Fluro leader I will be using doesn't seem to stretch all that much either.

If your drag is too tight a snubber won't help you :) You want the drag set so if you make a sharp turn the outside rod (With the most pressure on it) barely clicks off.

If your drag is too tight a snubber won't help you :) You want the drag set so if you make a sharp turn the outside rod (With the most pressure on it) barely clicks off.

Another great tip that I am going to save for myself!

Heres another tip, listen to Bill he knows his stuff!

I never use a snubber either. For chinooks I run 50lb fluoro and never had one break off, but like Bill says, keep the drag so its barely slipping on an outside turn.

For lakers you will be fine with the 15lb and no snubber.

S.

Thamks Bill and Shane,good points I will remember.The snubber is on,maybe I don't need it?,but my turning clicker skills I am sure or not up to snuff.I'm just worried about 3 lines out now and trying to grab a fish lol.1st time,need any advantage I can get !Let's see how this works out,I'm all for getting the right gear,just need to see if I can manage this much..Thanks again guys.

The snubber isn't going to hurt anything, just leave it on.. As long as you keep the middle rod as close to the chute as possible you'll be fine. I also wouldn't be making any abrupt turns or you'll be tangle in no time. You might find that running 2 dipsys will be a lot easier then 3.

Yup. If you are running more than two dispeys, turns will need to be very slow - watch the outside line track behind the boat and if it is behind you instead of off to the side your turning too tight. You could get away with that if you had one on each side set to 3, but if you had three, you would likely have a cluster by the time you straightened back out again. Can get pretty challenging in an area with a lot of traffic all doing the same thing. If you have one, a lead core setup down the chute with a dipsey either side is one of my favourite set ups; the bows have a habit of hitting the core half way through the turn.