Brush Wolves and dog - bit of a story

Rod Caster

I drove out of my ATV trails and headed home on the road when I saw a big brown 'thing' just behind my dog, who was well ahead of me. I pinned the throttle and as I got within 40 meters I realized it was a big canine trotting up to my dog, who was unaware. As I approached, the ATV spooked it and it turn onto my lawn. At that point, Buddy (the dog) realized it was 10 meters behind him and he flipped out and nearly caught up with it until they ran into the bush together. I could tell by the barking that they were kind of chasing each other back and forth in the bush. I eventually got Buddy to come but I could hear it in the bush still pacing and panting.

After 20 minutes of silence, Buddy bolts for my lawn and I hear them scraping and growling. By the time I got my ATV and gun; It was getting dark so I had already put the gun away before that; the fight had stopped and I only saw the animal's eyes in the bush but never saw it again.

I heard Buddy snap on something a week ago and I figured it was a coyote. Based on the conversations I've had with neighbors, it was likely a brush wolf. I don't know what it wanted with my dog, or maybe it wanted my rabbits, but that thing was on a mission. I estimate it to be 100-120lbs and my dog is closer to 40. Lots of GOOD BOYS! for Buddy for doing his job. That dog don't take poop from any animal bigger than him. Siberian Husky's make good property dogs!

Anybody else have experience with these coyote/wolf mixes?

Edited by Rod Caster

Oh, is it Brush wolf or Bush Wolf???

Probably a Grey Timber Wolf and a big one @ that.

Have seen some big ones but no where near as big as some of the white wolves I have seen on the tundra.

Saw one back in the winter of 2007 that was huge like a Great Dane. When I pulled onto the lake with my sled it decided it wanted to come and say hi!!!! :w00t:

I pinned the throttle on my 1000cc toy and said SEE YA!!!! :D

I've been up close and personal in my life with timbers.....some have brown in their fur

Quick true story....one day my son and I were headed off on a trail by a min of 8 wolves in NW Ontario---and yes we were close enough to see the teeth snarl

any way we just kept shootin above their heads (12 ga birdshot was all we had)---they eventually let us by---but they tracked us out to the truck

anyway a couple days later---I'm alone---and even with a 30 cal...you get an uneasy feeling---now I need to head down that same trail---so here's Hero boy...alone in the forest---long ways from anyone....so what do I do??

Yep stand at the hill before headin down the trail and yell....."That's right boys...it's me...Dr. Venkman"

Yet another loonie moment in a long list from painter boy---good thing no one was around--they'd lock me up :tease: I told the story to my buddy who talked to an old trapper---he figured the pack had something down--that's why they

did'nt want to leave

Actually I've got quite a few wolf encounters ---couple bear one as well

Has your dog had its rabbies shot?

Yes, and he's getting another one within the month when the clinic rolls into town.

BA, a very similar story was told by the previous owner of my house. My wife all of sudden has been talking about guns haha

There are both timber wolves & "brush wolves" in our area. The majority being the smaller brush wolf type, usually averaging 50-60 lbs topping out at about an 80-85 lbs animal. An actual timber wolf can easily reach 100-110 lbs.

I doubt another dog would act the way you described this animal. Sounds like a hungry wolf to me, especially knowing you have rabbits in your yard. lol

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking it was a bit Brushy.... I likely overestimated the weight though...he may have had long fur or something.

My dog is suprisingly mean/relentless when it comes to other aggressive dogs. I've seen him beat up, and badly, a dominant 120lbs Bull Mastif...he doesn't take crap from any dog. Still, that wolf will likely meet it's fate by gun if it keeps coming by. I'm not a fan of killing anything other than for food, but this thing may present a danger to my dog, rabbits, wife and later, the kid.

Again I've heard Many times where wolves lure dogs away---dogs not heard from again

Exactly!!! That's why I always keep an eye on mine when we're out at the lease.

Lots of wolves and bears in this area. Not too mention cougars and wolverines!!!! :w00t:

Better call him lucky!!!,that usually won'y end weel,as in some of the most researched study the wolf/dog is the toughest,followed by Caucasion shepard,and Cane Corso.These are big powerfull dogs that they say have no fear.Now if your talking full blown wolf,I'd make sure you watch your dog as well as you think he can do alright for himself.Kinda think you got away on that last confrontation.What a position to be in.I think your on the right track if he comes close any more .Good luck!!,he is now watching you.

.Good luck!!,he is now watching you.

Haha, I wont be telling my wife that. Sharp eyes for the next little while.

My dog has previous experience with wolves (attacking them too) as he was a sled dog in another rural setting . The previous owner said he was fearless and I agree... that might be the death of him though

A few years ago I was across the road on my ATV and I saw a young black lab running across the field toward me, her tail was down and she looked scared.

It took a couple of seconds but not far behind her was a "coydog" for lack of a better description, bigger than a coyote and had quite a bit of brown in it's fur. I could tell she was in trouble but I didn't have a gun with me so I hit the throttle and charged toward them. I managed to get between them and then started trying to run over the coydog. The lab just sat and waited but the coydog didn't want to give up, it really wanted the little lab, I spent a good 15 or 20 minutes trying to hit the coydog and it finally started to back off but I had to chase it quite a way before it finally did take off.

The lab followed me home like she had been my dog for life, she was beautiful and well behaved, I put a blanket down in the garage and she just curled up on it and went to sleep.

I knew she had to belong to someone in the area but she didn't have a collar or tags so I called animal control and they came out and got her, with instructions that if they couldn't find her owner I would take her.

About three days later I got a call from a fellow that lives a couple of miles from here to let me know that he got his dog back, seems she had slipped her collar and run off. He was glad to get the dog back but he wasn't too happy about the fine they gave him for his dog running loose.

I know there are packs of coyotes in the area, one of our neigbours shot 20+ two years ago and we always see tracks when we go across the road into the bush in the winter. Glad to hear that your dog is ok but as tough as he might be, he might not survive against a pack.