Hunting big smallies !!!

fishindevil

Well so far this summer I have mostly focused on finding and fishing for big smallies !!! And that's no easy task this summer in inland lakes as high water cold temps & big smallies being deep !!! Well I got my 2014 "nickel" smallie yesterday and she was 5lbs on the nose with a huge belly and she hit like a freight train off the edge of some deep structure. Now I can concentrate on a "nickel" bucket !!! Which should be easier than the 30 trips it took to get the big smallie !!!! I hope anyways !!!! 6D43FCC1-1788-40E5-93EE-6B076179F4BC.jpg

WOW Thats a dark one. Big belly is right. Well done. I want to see a nickle bucket too.

BTW, Are you wearing yer mudders scarf,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :tease:

I understand why this wrapping up thing is happening,I just get to hot wearing one.

Edited by Misfish

WOW Thats a dark one. Big belly is right. Well done. I want to see a nickle bucket too.

Hahaha !!!! Nope not me mudders scarf !!!! Lol it's bass pros UV clothing it works and yes it's hot but not as bad as the 100 sunburns I get !!!! Cheers brian

BTW, Are you wearing yer mudders scarf,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :tease:

I understand why this wrapping up thing is happening,I just get to hot wearing one.

• 3 weeks later...

Beauty Bronzie my man. I find all the big mamas are dark. I can tell if it's going to be 20" on her first jump by the colour alone. I have been on Erie going on 20 years. l exclusively fished smallmouth and perch up to last year, now I'm spending money and get frustrated chasing big Walleye 10 miles out, if the wind will let us. Perch are who knows where this summer.

If you guys are serious about getting your lifetime best Smallmouth you need to get out here. If you want to PM me for some great go to action spots and techniques that if you work at it with get you a personal best PM me. Lots of fish out here for everyone. I can tell you here that we find the depth around 20 to 25 feet with this water temp of 71 F, and use crank baits to cover water, even troll a minnow bait or spoon or use a slashbait/jerkbait or the always dependable tubes marinated in rock salt and find a school. Then once they are located the best thing I find is to drift over the area or work the electric and hammer them with a dropshop rig with livebait, big shinners or leaches. If it's all hardware you use then go to scented imitators. Leeches have worked for me, big, go big. I would also try a Senko, always wanted to, never have, I bet that would be a "fish in the pan" bait.

It's no big secret so a PM isn't nessesary really. Launch from Mohawk east of Lowbanks go to the lighthouse and shoals in the area, or Pt. Maitalnds free launch and head west to the same area. Further west there aren't many launches at all. One is at Austins trailer park, head straight out, east or west to 25 feet and find structure and work it. Not many reports coming out of Nanticoke for Bass, I haven't been asking either. I will start Bass fishing after labour day if and when the Walleye shut down. It has been one of the hottest years for Walleye in over 20 years. The only problem is getting out due to high winds. We have had more severe wind and waterspout warnings this summer than the last 10 combined.

Want a trophy smallie, get your butts down here to big Neighbour landed a true 7 pounder a few weeks ago just out drifting for anything in a tinny not 300 yards from shore. There is a reef 5 miles from shore here that holds fish but no launch to get to them in anything bigger than a 15 or 16 footer. Launch from the south end of Kohler Rd, really not a ramp, where the road ends and the lake starts. I can't launch my 19'er there, have seen many stuck up past the exhaust pipe, not good.

Also make sure you get all the weather reports for Erie you can before coming down. I find Windfinder.com very accurate. If you do decide to head down here feel free to PM me the night before or morning of and I will tell you what I see looking out the window. Those wind turbines are at least good to have if only to tell the actual wind direction.

Edited by Old Ironmaker