The old girl runs

Bernie

Last April FisherPete posted he had an old engine for sale, a 1955 25 HP Johnson. We swung a deal and the guys brought it up in May.
I puttered with it once in a while since then. I noticed it had new ignition wires so I didn't bother to check the coils.
The powerhead doesn't appear to ever been apart and it has good compression.
The lower unit has been apart because the skeg is off of something newer. Checked the gear oil, no water, good sign.
So I threw it on the test tank at the shop, hooked up the dual line fuel tank and primed it up. Fuel leak appeared immediately at the glass fuel filter. Pulled it off, cleaned the crud out of it.
At this point I am figuring a carb overhaul. It's an electric start, kind of rare for this era, so I hooked up a battery and cranked it over. It sputtered a little bit but failed. Lightly tapped the carb a few times to unstick the needle and seat, opened up both jets to allow any crud that may be blocking them.

Crank again, yep, she fired up. Gave the jets a quick adjustment, checked for water pump flow. Let it idle on the tank for a few minutes.
It runs a little clanky like most of these 25's did, but it's running on two cylinders. Some of the noise may be due to the hood rubber mounts missing.
I loaded it up and brought it out to the cottage. Took my 18 off and plunked it on the transom. It's a lot heavier than my old 18, it was all I could do to carry the dang thing.

th_P1040622_zps1a8be3fc.mp4

th_P1040624_zps545f8b85.mp4

And thanks go to Pete and the fellas that brought it up! Edited by Bernie

Nicely done Bernie...now you just need another cedar strip boat so you have a boat for each motor!

HH

Where would Will park his?

I'd have to build another dock. :)

Pete, any chance of the tiller handle for the engine be kicking around?

I had to take one off of one of dads for the time being.

Bloody hell that moves! I always had a soft spot for the old motors. The chrome, simplicity, paint etc. always like stopping by those guys from a club that set up shop at the sportsman show and such to show there restorations and such. Nice stuff.

Where would Will park his?

I'd have to build another dock. :)

Pete, any chance of the tiller handle for the engine be kicking around?

I had to take one off of one of dads for the time being.

You might have to build another dock but I'd gladly lend a hand with that. :) Nice to see the old girl running, she flies!!

Took it out for a good run this evening on calmer waters.
Runs really well, and yes, it is quick. I'll GPS it to know for sure.
It has a torque steer I'll need to address, it pulls pretty hard.
This one is worthy for a paint restoration and new decals. It will be a good winter project.