Met a Nice Guy

mattybculp

So I was blowing through Cavan yesterday which is a small town outside of Peterborough, and I had to pull into the gas station to grab some gas. I looked over and noticed a boat that I recognized and saw it was the extreme angler boat. I said "hey Karl, I like the show." He said " wait till you see todays show." I expected that to be kind of it in terms of conversation, I'm not the type of guy who prods for information, or even if its a celebrity or athlete I have never been one to ask for autographs or pictures with them its just never been my style. My folks ran a catering company for years and had opportunities to meet lots of celebrities over the years as they had contracts with various entertainment groups to supply the food from pro hockey teams to artists of country, rock and heavy metal music and comedians, and by know means do I think Karl Kalonka is a big time celebrity, but I do enjoy his show. Any who, I expected the conversation to end at me stating that I enjoyed his show and to keep putting out great shows, well in an extremely busy gas station he went on to take 10 mins to tell me how is day went, on the water, what patterns he was noticing, where fish were staging, lure choices that were producing and body of water fished etc. I just thought it was classy for him to take some time, with out invitation to share information with a guy who just said he enjoyed his show. I wasn't looking for anything in return, and granted he coulda just said thanks and that be that, but he took the initiative to strike up a conversation, and I know a lot of tournament bass guys and information isn't something that comes out to often, or better yet accurate information, its generally pretty vague. It made my day, and even though its only a few minute sample size , I would say he's a classy guy

I have met many great guys during my CFT PRO/AM days and also during my short stint doing bass tournys.

I have had great talks with many guys that are fishing hosts and even those that are not. Met Karl twice,years ago. He,s a super nice guy. Other super nice guys that I can think of are JP,Frost,Chong,both of the Izumi brothers,of course Mercer. One of the nicest guys you will ever meet IMO is Mark Kulic.Yes the SLAMMER/SWAMMER GUY. Super nice guy and always willing to share. I have also had the great pleasure to fish with these guys. Those were the best days.

There is one guy that I did not get to fish with,but did get to be his scrutineer for two days,was Les Zackney.Fishing wizard with the spinner bait. I learned so much from this guy on fishing Couch. Probly why Im a spinner bait and tube guy.

There so many out there Im sure I have forgot to mention. Oh ya,there was this one guy, Charles Nham. He was a member here.Coolieo guy. :clapping:

There are others that will not give you the time of day.

Thats probly why I havent mentioned them. LOL

To add to all this,Terry was a big part of me getting into this money spending over my budget sport.

PRICELESS EXPERINCE :Gonefishing:

Edited by Misfish

I have fished with both Mark Kulik and Karl. Spent one awesome day on the water slamming smallies, I learned a ton and got a boat load of free swag, including a brand new St.. Croix bait casting rod.

I would share a boat with either of them anytime! Truely great guys.

G

I fun fished with Karl for couple years ice fishing and steelheading. He borrow my boat for 2 weeks to practice for the Canada/Us that him and another friend won.

All the rest are great competitors. It was great times exchange money with them.

Karl is a good guy, bought a truck off him once. Great to talk with and even great to my kids while we were at his place. Gave us some St.Croix hats and told my youngest to give her shimano one to some she didn't like lol. He knows his stuff, i enjoy the show knowing he films in waters I can relate too or even try myself!

I fun fished with Karl for couple years ice fishing and steelheading. He borrow my boat for 2 weeks to practice for the Canada/Us that him and another friend won.

All the rest are great competitors. It was great times exchange money with them.

Huh?

Grerrit what don't you understand. The top 5% tourney guys just take turns winning.

Not knowing you fished tournies with them you can see why I was confused.... Talking about exchanging money etc... I was very confused lol

Regardless great guy(s)

G

That's a pretty cool story - good to know some people don't get caught up in their own hype and keep their feet on the ground.

Peterborough is a great area to fish, I fish there a couple weeks every summer - nice smallies in some spots on the Otonabee. Ontario has a great community of fisherman. In urban areas, it's always like being a member of a private club when I run into other fishermen.