boat question, fiberglass or aluminum?

pipeguy

Planning on getting boat this fall, just came back from holiday from US, a friend of mine there told me that are lots of affordable boats down there. My question is this, there is a lot of center console boats for a reasonable buck, and a lot of selection. I am looking to get 16'-18' unit aluminum windshield boat, but now my curiosity is raised, what are your opinions, This boat would probably be used 90% of time in Simcoe, pros and cons for both, thanks in advance, this is great forum, waiting to hear your replies.

Glass boats are heavier and tend to ride smoother because of this. Fuel mileage is better on aluminum both on the water and trailering to the lake. Aluminum boats are better when beaching on rocky lakes (i.e. shield lakes).

A glass boat would be great on Simcoe IMHO.

There are some great deals on 18'-22' CC boats down in the US. ;)

Both hulls have pro's and con's. The question is something like asking " What's the meaning of life?".

You will get all sorts of answers. Glass boat owners love glass and aluminum folks love metal. I wanted a full windshield and a deep V aluminum as I am fishing Erie 99% of the time, a good size glass boat was too heavy for my liking and I didn't have any experience with glass so I went with what I knew. The windshield and casting platforms added much weight to my 19.5' Starcraft. A buddy has a center counsel glass boat a bit smaller and the weight is fairly close. I know if my wife got a face full of cold Erie water she wouldn't go out with me on the water. She should come along occasionally as if I look at the ownership it is actually hers.

My vote is for aluminum. I like the ride better than glass personally, and especially the cost at the pumps after a day of running and gunning on the lake. Glass to me was too heavy like an old Sedan DeVille compared to an Eldorado. You might not know those cars.

You are on the right track, do your homework and it will pay off, big time. I understand it's not a difficult task any longer bringing a boat up from the US. Many here have done it, do a search here and there are great threads concerning importing. I wouldn't get something from the deep south where they can use a boat 12 months of the year. I also might not buy a snow machine from the far north.

Good Luck

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Whereabouts in the states? Centre consoles are pretty popular in the salt, not so much in fresh water. I'd probably stay clear of a used salt water motor , especially if the deal seeems too good to be true.

I ran a 18 foot aluminum centre console for a lot of years with a 85 V4 OMC and a kicker on the back, great boat for Lake Ontario and Erie Trolling.

Edited by dave524

I like glass for a lot of reasons as well.
Find they also handle better on the water. Easier docking due to the heavier stability too, don't blow around so much in a wind.
Yes, watch out for those salt water boats. The engines/lower units are almost impossible to take apart after the salt corrodes internals.

I love aluminum boats, but if I was choosing a hull primarily for big water I would go with a glass boat every time. My buddies 24 foot centre console just cuts through rough water like a knife. It is a very safe and comfortable ride even when things get lumpy. I have had too many tooth jarring rides on lake Ontario and lake Erie over the years. Simcoe can be a real b!@tch too as you know! Anyway, yes for versatility and portability, an aluminum is great, but for big water nothing beats glass!

Never owned glass but would have to agree that due to aluminum forming limtations, or perhaps better said, the lack of those limitations with glass, the better riding boats are generally glass. There is of course some overlap, but most generally in the 18' to 24' range the best ride comes from glass. There really isn't much difference in weight between aluminum and glass boats of the same length and class, it's more about hull design.

If you aren't going to trailer this boat around all the time and it's going to be basically on Simcoe and nothing else, I'd pick glass as well.

No issues trailering, launching or retrieving a glass boat if you've got the vehicle & trailer to do it Bill, infact no different than an aluminum or wooden boat.

No issues trailering, launching or retrieving a glass boat if you've got the vehicle & trailer to do it Bill, infact no different than an aluminum or wooden boat.

As long as the launches are good for sure. I'd feel bad putting in a glass boat in on a few of the launches we use on the regular.

Edited by BillM

I would feel REALLY bad scratching up that beauty of yours :) Ours has enough dings on it! lol!

If you think ramps are the only issue, try our frost heaved gravel roads!!!

Given enough time I will be able to repaint with out having to remove any of the old paint!!! :wallbash:

Lew, they don't do jack on our roads.

Had one on when I was towing my camper to Alaska.

Ended up with broken electric brake wiring, broken drain valve on the water tank, broken clearance lights, broken battery box, the front of the trailer looks like a midget sat on the tongue beating on the front of it with a ball peen hammer and I had a rock bounce off the front of the trailer and through the back window of the truck!!! :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

The only thing that will save a boat from rock damage up here is one of these: http://www.trailertux.com/

Even with one you will still get chips where it doesn't cover. :ninja:

I'll have to look into that Lew, seems pretty slick.

It is pretty slick Bill and does a great job. It can be adjusted up or down to get close to the road and the width can also be adjusted to put the flaps right behind the wheels. .

It fits over the draw bar and when your not using it, just hang it on the garage wall till you need it again.

005-2.jpg

We were posting the same time Dave.

Sounds like you travel on some VERY nasty roads up your way and I can just imagine the damage you guys have to put up with. Be pretty tough to keep your rig looking nice I'll bet.

Exactly. One road I travel every year is 700km long dirt road.

That's the one that trashed my camper.

The alternative is an extra days travel in each direction.

The road to my cabin has about 10kms of gravel right now.

8kms is new road that they are still working on so there is lots of loose stuff and lots of traffic both ways.

Oncoming traffic does as much damage as your own vehicle.

Hopefully it will all be paved by the end of summer. ;)

The frost heaves are hard on trailers too. Saw a guy with a pig pontoon boat snap a spring and lose an axle on the road North of town last summer.

T'was an ugly scene. :(

Exactly. One road I travel every year is 700km long dirt road.

That'd be brutal on your trailer, worst I ever did was around 50 miles on a gravel road in Quebec and that did enough damage to my boat trailer.