Black bear in Cornwall Ontario

Honestly , just looked and checked where Cornwall is on the map, don't think it is strange. Maybe in town but I would think there are bears not far from the city limits. Reports from places like Dundas and London area are a little surprising though.

In the last few years bears have been spotted in Newmarket, Burlington and Milton....that I know of.

I'm sure they're in other communities as well.

Saw a moose while driving at Hwy # 400 & Hwy #88 near Bradford a few years ago.

Thought it was a horse at first, but as I got closer, it was obvious the animal was a moose.

Rounded head compared to the horses tapered head. Legs were not tapered like a horse either.

And the cow bell hanging fron under it's neck was a dead give away.

Bears in Cornwall ? Not surprising.

People think all these extra bears are because of cancelling the spring bear hunt.

I don't buy this.

Look around and there is more wildlife everywhere.

There are foxes, coyotes, eagles, hawks, deer like crazy, cormorants...not so many moose but we shoot a lot of them.

Its been about 20 years now since they banned DDT and a lot of other toxic crap.

Things are just coming back

McLiar outlawing lawn chemicals wasn't a bad thing either

Edited by Dara

Deer weren't too far from the endangered species list her in Ohio back in the 50's and 60's, the burbs and expansion of no hunting zones probably did more to save them than anything else, now in some areas they are a problem.

Bears are becoming more and more frequent to eastern Ohio also, again with no hunting zones because of population they expand their range.

I agree with animals on the rebound comment. I like it. I have zero issue with an increasing population of wildlife. They are learning large centres are easy food and thats a for sure thing. And mike if bear are moving in a lot of others are as well or will be soon. In my neck of the woods it's just normal. We've always had tons of deer, moose, bear, raccoons, river cats, badgers, bobcat, lynx, cougars etc. but deer exploded a few years back. And now everything else is too. Even down to the lil old frog. Millions of them. I use to laugh about the "their is no cougars in NW Ontario" comments. I've seen 4 now myself, which means there is a heck of a lot more then 4 haha. Chasing the deer i spose, of and they love rabbits too:)

Edited by manitoubass2