New boat is riding with bow very high

fisher

I just picked up my new smokercraft 172 last week and took it to Lake Ontario yesterday to begin the break in of the 115 and 9.9 mercurys.

(By the way, port credit launch was blocked by fair rides covering the parking lot. What were they thinking? Anyway, I headed to bronte and launched there - for $17!)

So, while on the lake which had a chop due to the 20 km east winds , the big motor would cause the bow to ride pretty high and would only plane out at the higher end of the speed range (this was hard on the boat since at this speed the chop was causing the boat to come down hard on the water every so often). I couldn't run it at mid speed (which would have been ideal) since the boat rode so high and I couldn't see in front of me. I had to stand and that was pretty uncomfortable. Plus the back end was so low to the water it was not comforting at all. It was obvious the boat was not handing well. So I was left having to come in pretty slow.

By the way, I ran into the marine police out there. Nice guys. Just asked me what I was doing and if I was fishing. Asked if I had all my safety stuff and to call *16 on my cell if I ran into trouble. Didn't stop me to check. Instead they only carried on the conversation while they rode beside me. Really good to see them out there with a genuine caring attitude.

Anyway I am going to call the dealer (who is 2 hours away) to get his thoughts and suggestions but wanted some opinions here first.

I have heard the following:

1) move the motor down a notch or two (right now it is in the middle bolt position) but it is already riding low to the water (so I don't like that idea). This was one if the two suggestoons by the marine police

2) I also heard about possible prop pitch issue (currently has a 15P prop according to what is on the prop). This was marine polices second suggestion.

3) I read online that smart tabs might help. I can't believe I have to spend money to make a new boat work properly.

Anyone have experience or opinion on this issue and any possible solution that worked for them they care to share before I call the dealer?

Note the stern appears to be heavy loaded. It has the 2 engines, the gas tank which was half full with 50 litres of gas and one of the two batteries. But the boat is rated for a 140 and it has a 115 and 9.9 (so that appears to be well within the weight guidance that the boat was designed for). Just a frustrating experience to say the least.

I also am curious if you think the chop may have made the issue much worse and maybe wouldn't be an issue in calmer water (I am not sure when I can get out again next to test this but nonetheless, the boat definitely should have handled better in that chop).

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

I'd probably get it out on some calmer water before making too much out of your maiden voyage. 20km east winds on Lake O would be quite choppy. You are either going to smash into the waves or you need to get up on top of them, you won't get this going half throttle :)

You shouldn't require smart tabs to have a boat plane properly, that's just a bandaid solution.

Edited by BillM

Thanks. I may get back to you sneakepete after I speak to the dealer.

Nothing more disheartening than spending so much money on a new boat to be disappointed after the first trip. Glad to hear your similar experience and more so about your solution.

Thanks. I may get back to you sneakepete after I speak to the dealer.

Nothing more disheartening than spending so much money on a new boat to be disappointed after the first trip. Glad to hear your similar experience and more so about your solution.

What did you expect in 2-3ft waves? To plain out using half throttle? Any boat would do that.

You need to take your boat out into calmer waters as suggested in order to properly shake it down. My first step would be to run in flat water and see where I'm at. I wouldn't monkey with anything until I had done this. I'm not sure if it's your first boat or your 5th boat, but a lumpy day on Lake Ontario is not where I'd choose to break in my new rig. Good luck,

It's not my first boat. I may not have explained it properly but my previous boat with a smaller motor and smaller length would not handle like that. It would not ride high. It would plain at lower rpm/speed. In fact I have been in much rougher water with my previous smaller boat and it handled much, much better. Basically I felt safer in my older boat in much rougher waters.

The point is that if I ever got caught out in rough water in this new boat I would not feel comfortable and something is definitely wrong and needs to be fixed. It should not be this way.

I have since read up some more on smart tabs and cannot believe the positive experiences from so many users with boats of various sizes. They explain the same issue as I have and then after installing these tabs they their problem is completely solved and in many cases with significany performance improvement and even top end speed gain. In one case the guy was about to sellhis boat but then got the tabs and couldn't believe the improvement to overall performance.

I know something needs to be done with the boat But agree that I should take it out in calmer water so I know where it stands in that condition as well for future comparison.

We bought a a 16' Smokercraft with a 90 horse 4 stroke Merc two springs ago and had the same exact problem. In my case we tried every possible fix, adjusting the height of the motor, different prop, etc, etc. Ultimately a hydrofoil on the skeg made it at least usable but I wasn't happy with the situation as it was a bandaid fix.

The issue was pretty simple in my case, the motor was simply too heavy for the boat. Last spring we sold the Merc and put a 90 e-tec on the boat and it runs like a dream now. The lighter motor made all the difference in the world.

My guess is you may have a similar issue with the 115 simply being too heavy. By far the best bandaid fix would be a set of trim tabs, if you're looking for a quick fix that's the route I would go.

You shouldn't need

What did you expect in 2-3ft waves? To plain out using half throttle? Any boat would do that.

This. Take it out in calmer waters. You should not need smart tabs. Check Mercurys bulletin board, maybe they have done tests for optimal height and setup for your rig.

Lots of boats when they get near there weight limit have issues getting on plane. Take some ballast and put it in the bow and see how that changes the ride. You can try a 4 or 5 blade prop that will also get you up quicker but you will increase slip and lose a bit on the top end.Does your prop have vent holes? If it does try opening the vent holes and see if you can get on plane faster. Some boats I have been in you gotta realy hammer it to get on plane then once on plane you can back off. No boat rides the same. I had a stratos I had to hammer the heck out of to get it on plane than I could cut the throttle way back. my lund I could just sneak up slowly and get on plane.

You probably have a number of things going on. Too much weight in the back. Possibly a prop that isn't suited for the boat or weight, not enough trim(Trim tabs can help, a whale tail will help, also you can wedge the motor to give you more trim).

If you are able to get on plane than you are a whole lot further ahead than what you think. I have seen people not even able to get on plane in a new boat. Sounds like you are probably a bit of weight a bit too far back. if you have access to some lower pitched props, or a high five, or a 4 blade prop, give that a try. I would bet that a 5 pitch prop 1 degree lower than what you have would get you comfy.

To much weight on the stern. Take the 9.9 off and see what happens. If it rides better look for a lighter main motor.

Very unsafe to ride like that. If emergency power down you may have the wake come right on in.

Regards

That sucks!!!!

I feel for you.

My boat rests a little ass heavy but it planesike a champion. Something sounds fishy.

It may be better on flat water. Sounds like too much motor weight. Try moving your two trolling motor batteries and anchor to the bow (yes I know the bouncing can be bad on the batteries).

A new prop may help.

Take a pic of the transom so we can see how low the boat transom is sitting in the water at rest and post it too.

How heavy is the motor?? My 16' crestliner has a 350lb 75 optimax on it.

Most are right, I probably have too much weight on the back but that should have been something the dealer should have known and told me about. Wouldn't have been the first boat rigged this way that would have been sold by them. Nonetheless I'll give them a call tomorrow and very curious about what they will say.

The weight is 399 lbs for main motor plus one battery plus 50 litres gas plus a 9.9 kicker plus an optional bench seat. Whatever it totals, it is a lot.

The more I read and understand about trim tabs the more it makes sense that it will solve my problem. I don't consider it a bandaid solution but rather a necessity to compensate for this additional weight. In any event, it is the dealer I am not happy with at the moment, but we will see what they say.

I have the boat stored in my dad's garage so can't see right now how the main motor is sitting in relation to the transom when fully trimmed down. I imagine it is in not enough of an angle to get it to push the stern up enough to get the bow down, probably because of the excess weight. Trim tabs should compensate for this.
Incredible how common this is when I search the net.
I'll try to remember to post a pic of the boat/ transom in the water. May be a week or so.

Edited by fisher

You shouldn't have your gas tanks near the back of the boat.. The main bladder should be centralized... (It's this way in our Lund)...

But yeah, I'm sure the dealer has sold this combo before and should have known this *might* happen.

Edited by BillM

Not gonna name the dealer cause honestly they have treated me like gold and I have bought 3 boats from them, but when I told them about the issues I had with the ProMag and the difference the tabs made, they asked for pics to share with other customers. It seems like a common issue.

A lot dealers have never really run the boats they sell...sad but true.